Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Superman Rebirth Omnibus announced for May 2021

https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Toma...s%2C253&sr=1-3

From the New York Times bestselling creative team of Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason, the emblematic Superman stories from the DC Rebirth era are collected for the first time in a hardcover omnibus!

The fan-favorite and critically acclaimed Superman series by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason honors the legacy of the iconic Man of Steel, all while innovating and highlighting socially relevant issues within the adventures of Superman and his villains.

A popular Superman run from the creative duo of Tomasi and Gleason, this DC Rebirth era Superman omnibus celebrates and explores all facets of the Superman mythos. Jam-packed with action, adventure, and heartfelt moments, this collection features the storylines "Son of Superman," "Bizarroverse," "Super Sons of Tomorrow," the "Never-Ending Battle" in Action Comics #1000, and much more!

Collects Superman: Rebirth #1, Superman #1-39, Superman #42-45, Teen Titans #15, Action Comics #975-976, Action Comics #1000, Super Sons #11-12, and Superman Annual #1.
    I think this makes the third Superman omnibus that will be released next year after Bryne and Morrison's respective omnibuses. It's about time this stellar Superman run got the omnibus treatment.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 03-01-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Toma...s%2C253&sr=1-3

I think this makes the third Superman omnibus that will be released next year after Bryne and Morrison's respective omnibuses. It's about time this stellar Superman run got the omnibus treatment.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I swear I felt a minor full-body spasm when I saw "highlighting socially relevant issues". Is it talking about the two issue monologue to Jon on Our Troops, Superman saving Apokolips by giving the Hunger Dogs a lecture about America, or Bizarro being a child abuser?
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 09-24-2020 at 03:51 PM.
    Buh-bye

I’ll probably pick this up down the line, given that I’m still fond of the run as a whole even if I don’t hold to the same esteem as others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I swear I felt a minor full-body spasm when I saw "highlighting socially relevant issues". Is it talking about the two issue monologue to Jon on Our Troops, Superman saving Apokolips by giving the Hunger Dogs a lecture about America, or Bizarro being a child abuser?
    They’re referring to your favorite page of course

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’ll probably pick this up down the line, given that I’m still fond of the run as a whole even if I don’t hold to the same esteem as others.

They’re referring to your favorite page of course
    Hot damn that page is so bad.

There were bits of this run that I swear were borderline offensive.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

People can hate the superman stuff. But for me, more supersons is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

I must be missing something. I thought that whole exchange was alright. A little heavy handed but nothing I wouldn't expect from either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I must be missing something. I thought that whole exchange was alright. A little heavy handed but nothing I wouldn't expect from either of them.
    Honestly it has to do with the way the common viewpoints of America got called into question after the election. I can’t really go in depth without getting very political, but suffice to say that for a lot of people, the idea of the wholesome rural “true Americans” (Superman) who are morally superior to cynical urban dwellers (Batman) that page invokes just doesn’t ring true for many of us anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

It hasn’t aged well, but the absolute lowest point was the vacation arc. Putting my politics aside, it was still just boring filler.

I actually liked the Bizarroverse arc though, thought the ending to Tomasi’s run was very strong, sorry Dispenser.

Honestly it has to do with the way the common viewpoints of America got called into question after the election. I can’t really go in depth without getting very political, but suffice to say that for a lot of people, the idea of the wholesome rural “true Americans” (Superman) who are morally superior to cynical urban dwellers (Batman) that page invokes just doesn’t ring true for many of us anymore.
    Yeesh. I didn't get that from it at all. To me it was just Batman and Superman....being Batman and Superman lol

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

This book's gonna weigh a ton...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeesh. I didn't get that from it at all. To me it was just Batman and Superman....being Batman and Superman lol
    Me too, it's one of my favourite moments of Tomasi & Gleason's run and doesn't seem offensive or bad. And I say this as a British Superman fan who's studied enough American history to know it has a chequered past. But hey maybe some people prefer a Superman who lets his wife and son go into space with his unstable Kryptonian father or reveals his identity to the world because he's sad that his mentally unhinged biological dad got executed for his crimes

Astonishing Member

I can only really give my angle on this but as much as people bag on Golden Age Superman for being too simple that writing in that panel is more simple minded and toyetic than anything Siegel/Shuster or Finger/Kane ever came up with. I don't really think it's in character for Superman to give much of a damn if things are more black or white either way he's suppose to be rolling his sleeves up and getting to work.

In that panel I don't really see two men having a conversation, I see two action figures spouting their quotes. It's repetitive, dry, and boring.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, that page. I get the intent, and the intent itself is very Superman-- no matter how awful the world may seem, you can make a difference if you stand up when it's time for good people to act. The problem is he goes so hard on being vague it just comes across as grandstanding. Granted, Batman doesn't fare much better in the exchange. It just comes across as someone trying to highlight the difference between them in the broadest way possible.

This really is one of those moments where Clark needs to not look so idealistic that he comes across like a bumper sticker. He honestly should have just turned it around on Bruce, because ultimately if Bruce still thinks that a world with the Justice League and so forth is more bad than good, he ultimately has to admit Batman (and Superman, sure) is a failure and Bruce doesn't seem like the kind of person who can accept that. The last time it happened was in Infinite Crisis where he mic dropped on Superman saying the last time he inspired anyone was when he died and left before anyone could really bring up that Bruce does even less than Clark in that regard. Ultimately, Bruce is actually a helluva lot more idealistic than he likes others to think he is. Their unified belief in a better tomorrow is often the one thing that makes them superbros, so this page felt really weird that Clark needed to flex so hard when he could have just chose to win the argument by rubbing Bruce's face in his own ideals; if he really was as cynical as he let on, he'd have moved on from Batman a long time ago and turned into Kingdom Come/The Justice Lords Bruce Wayne. But he doesn't have robots enforcing law and curfew. He still just does the cape and tights gimmick.

I get it. This page is simple and gets that across, but it's like dropping a car on a nail to make sure it goes in the board. Or the omnibus. Same weight class.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-25-2020 at 04:24 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It hasn’t aged well, but the absolute lowest point was the vacation arc. Putting my politics aside, it was still just boring filler.

I actually liked the Bizarroverse arc though, thought the ending to Tomasi’s run was very strong, sorry Dispenser.
    I'd say ideology aside, and this book has real shaky 'n wobbly ideology- it's just poor writing. The black and white line is really just bad dialogue and uninterested in saying anything compelling beyond "Superman wears primary colours and Batman wears black isn't that wild?"

The offensive stuff comes later on in the run, and even that stuff isn't nutso enough to be fun in a trashy way.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-25-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, that page. I get the intent, and the intent itself is very Superman-- no matter how awful the world may seem, you can make a difference if you stand up when it's time for good people to act. The problem is he goes so hard on being vague it just comes across as grandstanding. Granted, Batman doesn't fare much better in the exchange. It just comes across as someone trying to highlight the difference between them in the broadest way possible.

This really is one of those moments where Clark needs to not look so idealistic that he comes across like a bumper sticker. He honestly should have just turned it around on Bruce, because ultimately if Bruce still thinks that a world with the Justice League and so forth is more bad than good, he ultimately has to admit Batman (and Superman, sure) is a failure and Bruce doesn't seem like the kind of person who can accept that. The last time it happened was in Infinite Crisis where he mic dropped on Superman saying the last time he inspired anyone was when he died and left before anyone could really bring up that Bruce does even less than Clark in that regard. Ultimately, Bruce is actually a helluva lot more idealistic than he likes others to think he is. Their unified belief in a better tomorrow is often the one thing that makes them superbros, so this page felt really weird that Clark needed to flex so hard when he could have just chose to win the argument by rubbing Bruce's face in his own ideals; if he really was as cynical as he let on, he'd have moved on from Batman a long time ago and turned into Kingdom Come/The Justice Lords Bruce Wayne. But he doesn't have robots enforcing law and curfew. He still just does the cape and tights gimmick.

I get it. This page is simple and gets that across, but it's like dropping a car on a nail to make sure it goes in the board. Or the omnibus. Same weight class.
    To put it in a non-political context, I still dislike it for leaning into the basic-ass “Superman is the light, Batman is the darkness” Loebian take, when that feels way too simplistic for me. Like you said Batman himself is a very hopeful and idealistic character at his core. And Supes just grandstands in a really generic way without actually saying anything of substance. It’s literally “well you gotta hope harder!”.