Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

The alien versions of himself and his parents have the the same look as the alien in the comic he’s reading in the flashback with Pete Ross. It’s definitely a reflection/manifestation of his fear of being alien.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    They acts as if the KKK isn't already getting relevance recently.
    In spinning a negative into something more positive and constructive, again, I felt that by using the character of Chuck Riggs the way the writer did, I felt that helped elevate the story beyond simply a "violence is the only answer" sort of story, which may have resulted in a less compelling story compared to the one Chuck seemed to go through in which he's upfront with his nastiness in the beginning, but starts to question himself more after seeing what his dad did and what the Lee family was going through.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-06-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Is this aimed at kids? Is it a very childish story or what?
    Damn, the art looks great!
    It was originally aimed at the 10-15 age range. Now it’s just a standalone book outside the DCU for all. Wouldn’t say it’s childish but it’s not very gory or violent at least not yet although not for lack of trying on part of the Klan.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Is this aimed at kids? Is it a very childish story or what?
    Damn, the art looks great!
    It's all ages. Sort of like the best of Pixar; kids are supposed to be the main audience but it's written knowing that adults are going to read it too.

If the kid in question is very young or very sensitive, there's a scene with a cross being burnt on someone's yard, and although no one gets hurt and things don't go too far it *might* be a little intense. Depends on the kid and your opinions on what kind of content to expose them to. But I'd have no problem with my six year old daughter reading this at all, and actually plan to make this one of our bedtime stories once all the issues have come out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Picked SStK #2 yesterday, but just read it this morning. I thought it was even better than the first issue. I liked the progression of the plot with his "alien" parents, the portrayal of Smallville is solid, and the handling of Ma and Pa Kent isn't anything groundbreaking, but it is solidly done and really gives you a fleshed out look to him. And the way they are hinting at his normal power set is great and tying that into his acceptance of himself really is fantastic. Some great Perry, Lois, and Jimmy moments as well.

Agree that it's one of the best stories that DC is publishing right now. Frankly, it seems most of DC's quality action is with the former Ink and Zoom lines. There is some Black Label stuff that's interesting too as well, but it's a lot more hit and miss.

@Eto: while the story is aimed at kids, I wouldn't call the story childish in any way. It's very mature in its themes, and really looks deeper at topics of racism, shame, alienation, and prejudice than most "mature" superhero comics.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Just read SSTK #2.

Just. Fricking. Wow.

Yang is amazing here. Actually, both the writing and artwork deserve the highest praise. Between this issue and the first one, SSTK is an absolute high point for the Superverse in 2019.

And it looks more than likely that the green-skin, red-eye, and antennae might actually be Jor-El and Lara's real forms (and not just Clark's own fearfulness of being an alien) ... which opens the pandora's box of Superman's human-looking form just being a mask that he isn't aware of, yet. Book 3 should reveal that mystery once and for all.

This is really nuanced storytelling that somehow reaches all ages. Love it!

10/10. A+
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 12-22-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Finally got to read issue 2, it was great! If Yang can nail the landing this is definitely going to be one of my favorite Superman stories. Nice way to start the 2020s!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Interesting character development going on with Chuck.

Incredible Member

Default Superman Smashes The Klan

I just read both available books and loved it. Didn't see an existing thread dedicated so thought I'd start this one.

The art and writing are both absolutely stellar. Gorgeous line work, coloring, everything.

The characterization is incredibly strong.

The concluding chapter comes in February. How are you liking this book?

I'm really enjoying it and I have to agree with the opinions you've expressed. The writing, for instance, really does seem to have nailed the character of Superman - his optimism, hope for humanity, protecting the vulnerable and so on.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm really enjoying it and I have to agree with the opinions you've expressed. The writing, for instance, really does seem to have nailed the character of Superman - his optimism, hope for humanity, protecting the vulnerable and so on.
    It's one of my favorite depictions of those traits since Morrison's All-Star, it's that good.

I imagine part of Part 3 will involve him learning more about Krypton and then feeling pride in his past will help him unlock his full abilities, but I love the way we're seeing him imagine his parents visually as pulpy "aliens" -- it's a smart way to show us his fear and anxiety of his otherness, and the way media portrayals have an impact on this.

I’ve read and enjoyed the first two issues.

Enjoyable stuff.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    It's one of my favorite depictions of those traits since Morrison's All-Star, it's that good.

I imagine part of Part 3 will involve him learning more about Krypton and then feeling pride in his past will help him unlock his full abilities, but I love the way we're seeing him imagine his parents visually as pulpy "aliens" -- it's a smart way to show us his fear and anxiety of his otherness, and the way media portrayals have an impact on this.
    The only problem with the depiction is that since this is a separate continuity I thought at first this was a new take on Kryptonians. Maybe this time they were more alien looking and Superman had adapted to look human. It wasn't until I came on this site, that I realized Superman was giving them that appearance in his own mind.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Like most of all the posts here, I agree this is a great book and I don't have a problem with any of it.

The alien looking Kryptonians is not a problem for me, considering all the stuff I have had to put up with in other comics over the years. Maybe it's part of the story, maybe it isn't I leave it to the creative team to tell the story, and this story is exceptional comics!
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.