Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Doubt it - Trump doesn't read.
    Oh, play this while Superman helps some black people defending their homes against racists, and he might step up and take notice:

I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate
    He stirred up in that bloodpot of human hearts
    When he drawed that color line
    Here at his Beach Haven family project

Beach Haven ain't my home!
    No, I just can't pay this rent!
    My money's down the drain,
    And my soul is badly bent!
    Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
    Where no black folks come to roam,
    No, no, Old Man Trump!
    Old Beach Haven ain't my home!
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I really doubt WB cares or takes that into consideration. They're a business, not in it just to make the world a worse place and kick puppies. But they run a business just so, hence why most of these DTVs fall into a line. Not all no, but most. But it isn't their mission to make Superman fail and never adapt anything good.
    That's the true irony and heartbreak of it all. No, of course WB isn't *actively* trying to damage the IP. That's ridiculous. They want Superman to be as successful and profitable as possible, just like all the properties they own. But they lack even a basic understanding of how to do that. It's like....it's like running a restaurant meant to be fine, upper scale dining, but thinking that ramen noodles and pop tarts (the crap college students live on) are the only things you should offer on the menu and not understanding why you never get customers, and instead of changing the menu you just start offering different flavors of ramen and pop tarts, "Oh, the chicken ramen and cherry pop tarts aren't selling, let's switch to shrimp and blueberry! That'll fix the problem!" WB's complete lack of insight or ability here is straight up horrifying; I don't expect their board of directors or CEO or whoever to "get" Superman; you don't have to like or understand your product in order to sell it, you just have to hire people who can. But WB is so completely lost and clueless they can't recognize what the right people look like. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad and embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Play the hell out of Woody Guthrie?
    Damn straight.

And yeah Old Man Trump would probably be a pass, we can save that for the harder hitting commentary of the t-shirt Superman. That's a soundtrack that would require a lot of Bob Dylan, Springsteen, and Mellencamp, I think too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It may take a few years, but I think it's inevitable that Superman Smashes the Klan will get an animated adaptation. I can't think of a recent Superman story that was embraced this fast and this universally by readers and creators alike. That doesn't happen very often. The last time this happened was All Star Superman.
    I hope you're right, but I don't know if instant popularity guarantees an adaptation - and even if it does, there's how they'd go about it. Make it fit a more adult pg13 rating? Dumb it down and add a toyline? I know if it does get adapted, it won't be as a theatrical. So you have to look at the DTVs to figure out where it may fit.

The only animated movies to get full toylines to my knowledge are Superman Doomsday and the post JLW movies based vaguely on the New 52. That's only because Doomsday was the start of the line of movies, and the JLW series was a whole little shared universe. Neither toyline was all that extensive.

I remember when Morrison's Action Comics run was coming out, people assumed it was going to get an animated adaptation, and that the reason that Superman had different colors of t-shirts was because it'd make for good variant action figures.

Neither development ever came to pass. There's still no action figure of the t-shirt Superman to this day. I know there's good reason to suspect that WB is in it for the cash-grab, but I don't think it's worthwhile to imagine that toys or a cartoon are inevitable. They aren't.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

the movie version starring Henry Cavill needs to be fast tracked now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    the movie version starring Henry Cavill needs to be fast tracked now!!!
    Now that's possibly the only movie with Cavill's Superman I'd be against - a reboot wherein Clark has to deal with coming to terms with his alien heritage. Because... we already got that one, you know? It was called Man of Steel! Also, I just don't think that getting rid of the charm inherent in Superman Smashes the Klan's distinctive art style is a good move, ever.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Yeah, if Smash is ever adapted (and I doubt it) it should be animated. It's a story for kids, and it should stay that way.

If we want a good live action Superman, put Cavill in a t-shirt!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, if Smash is ever adapted (and I doubt it) it should be animated. It's a story for kids, and it should stay that way.

If we want a good live action Superman, put Cavill in a t-shirt!
    #GetCavillATShirt !!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Superman Smashes The Klan would be better suited to animation and that Cavill is too old for the jeans n' t-shirt Superman. One of the things I liked best about that incarnation is that Rags drew like he was a kid barely out of his teens, just like Seigel & Shuster were when they created him.

Henry Cavill isn't too old to play a working class Superman. There's no age limit on putting some work boots on and getting your hands dirty with some justice.

I'd be fine with a recast though.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-03-2020 at 05:34 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Henry Cavill isn't too old to play a working class Superman. There's no age limit on putting some work boots on and getting your hands dirty with some justice.

I'd be fine with a recast though.
    You could certainly do it, but I just don’t think it would be as interesting as having this incarnation of Superman be so young and raw.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You could certainly do it, but I just don’t think it would be as interesting as having this incarnation of Superman be so young and raw.
    Why does being young and superman being a working class-man of action get equated to each other? Old guys can make dumb reckless decisions too.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why does being young and superman being a working class-man of action get equated to each other? Old guys can make dumb reckless decisions too.
    Yeah I don't know why 'working class' is being equated with youth. That seems problematic. The recklessness, I guess I can see- but Springsteen Superman doesn't have to be a kid to have guts.

Though I'd rather see Michael B Jordan or Adam Driver in the role, Henry Cavill can still pull it off!

As for Superman Smashes the Klan, I'd go animated. Spend some money on it though, the DTV animated flicks have looked cheap as hell forever now- make a big budget animated joint.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-03-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah I don't know why 'working class' is being equated with youth. That seems problematic. The recklessness, I guess I can see- but Springsteen Superman doesn't have to be a kid to have guts.
    It's because we expect older men to be less reckless and impulsive, and to think their actions through and consider the consequences in a more mature way. It's not the "working class" element so much as the "reckless" one. T-shirt/Golden Age Superman doesn't really hedge his bets; he just barrels into the bad guys without much thought for the ripple effects. Like him tearing down substandard housing and building new, awesome apartments....and not thinking about how he just increased the property's value to a point where the poor people he was trying to help can no longer afford those apartments.

A young man doing that, people will accept and root for. Even if his actions end up counter to his goals, we'll cheer the effort. A older man doing the same thing, and people will say "Geez, he's kind of an idiot. He should have thought his actions through more."

That's not to say an older t-shirt Superman couldn't work, we've got older guys in the real world who embody that "working class" vibe and Superman could too. But DC would have to dial back on the recklessness we usually associate with the t-shirt/Golden Age Superman.

Anyone read Future's End? That had Superman in the t-shirt and a beard, trying to solve hunger in Africa or something right? That's the kind of "working class" vibe an older Superman could rock, but the guy who forces a confession from a businessman and ends up shooting his own mission in the foot? That's a job for a young foolish man.

Though I'd rather see Michael B Jordan or Adam Driver in the role, Henry Cavill can still pull it off!
    I would be interested in Jordan playing President Superman....but I don't think know if right now is the time for a heroic politician. It might work in a "this is how it's supposed to be" kinda way, but the fact that Ellis lies to the public about his identity and has robots do his Presidential duties while he's off fighting Lex "I'm not racist!" Luthor seems like a dubious choice at the moment. A few years ago it would've worked great. A few years from now it might work great. Right now? It *might* work great or it might be a huge disaster.

And Adam Driver....does not look like any Superman at all to me. Good actor, but a Superman? I dunno.....maybe? We've hard worse actors do decently with the role so I'd at least entertain the notion, but he does not look the part in my opinion.

As for Superman Smashes the Klan, I'd go animated. Spend some money on it though, the DTV animated flicks have looked cheap as hell forever now- make a big budget animated joint.
    Damn straight. Pixar quality or don't even bother!

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Dude, he is the man of action. He isn't the thinker. He is adaptive and intuitive. He is always on his toe. You either get all of him or none of him. He is the rootin tootin son of a gun, western style. Not much introspective and contemplative in a way that more irritating, the way modern comics do it. He thinks whilst he works. As said, superman should always be on his toe.This is why people compare and say allmight is better superman than Superman. The core philosophy of the character is taken as bad. Superman's recklessness is tied to his altruism. His contemplation muddies the instinctive process of a good man doing the right thing.Him goofing and rectifying things is part of being human.Stop trying to make the character do just the appropriate thing.Stop that sort of thought process. It doesn't work for the character. The character should be allowed to be liked and disliked . Don't try to make character do appropriate thing to make him likable or anybodies moral fantasy.
    This ain't superman, for better or worse .

This is superman. Good men always act instinctively to help those in need and stop evil in progress .

Instinct and choice made superman. Midoriya embodied the man of action's philosophy. You die on you feet.That's a champion.