Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think I need to wait a year and reread it all again, but I am pretty confident that this story is going to rank up there with All-Star Superman and For The Man Who Has Everything as one of the best depictions of Superman
    One of my favorite tidbits from the historical pages is the connection Yang makes between Superman’s outwardly “perfect” facade and Yang’s own parents facades. Yang realized that desire to be the “perfect” person was rooted in fear of rejection for being different from “natural born” Americans. I found that to be one of the most insightful commentaries on Superman in a long time.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

But, it's still a tamer version of the struggle between fear and empathy. I guess it’s trying to aim for kids. Here, there isn't any ambiguities. Clark is the hero and that too with out any danger . I still think flying is boring the way its done in superman comics current days compared to Clark clinging on walls, running on electric fences wires and stuff. Flying should be about defiying gravity. Like swimming through the air. Hopefully, the books keeps that.

Book #3 absolutely stuck the landing.

And I want a poster of that shot of Superman showing up at the baseball field with the glowing all-white eyes with his head against the sun. Spectacular!

Definitely buying the collected edition!

That scene on the baseball diamond....I think that might be the smartest scene in a damn smart series.

Superman coming to the rescue at a baseball game? It doesnt get any more American than that, and scenes like this are usually met with fanfare and the cheering roar of the crowd, as if Clark was Babe Ruth and the bad guy was a baseball lying in the parking lot after getting hit over the rafters. Just look at Superman Returns, the plane rescue scene is arguably the best thing in that film and it ends at a baseball game, exactly like what I'm talking about.

And Yang spins all of it on its head. "He smells like ashes." Gods, what a perfect line, and a great way to capture the moment. It brings "The Other" right into the heart of Americana, and is so thematically perfect for this story it would make a good writer weep.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So far my favorite image of Superman this year:

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One of my favorite tidbits from the historical pages is the connection Yang makes between Superman’s outwardly “perfect” facade and Yang’s own parents facades. Yang realized that desire to be the “perfect” person was rooted in fear of rejection for being different from “natural born” Americans. I found that to be one of the most insightful commentaries on Superman in a long time.
    Absolutely. That explanation for why his other powers were not developing and why the powers he did manifest were the ones everyone has to a lesser degree was brilliant. It's one of those things where you think, "That should have been obvious but no writer did it before". Psychologically, it made perfect sense and was 100% in keeping with the theme of the story. In fact, every step of the way, Yang nailed it. The reason for the costume, for the specific powers, the desire to fit in. It is obvious he understands Superman and relates to him. Sometimes people Superman is too perfect to be relatable. But Yang even captures why he tries to be so perfect and relates to him in the process, perceiving him as having the need to fit in and belong just like everybody else. He absolutely captures the Ultimate Immigrant aspect of Superman.
    Power with Girl is better.

Just a question I'd like to pose: If WB/AT&T decided to adapt this story into a movie, would you rather they make it in live action or animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Just a question I'd like to pose: If WB/AT&T decided to adapt this story into a movie, would you rather they make it in live action or animation.
    I think it'd be fantastic either way but I'd rather it be animated, as long as it came with a full blown theatrical release and all the marketing that comes with that. No direct to DVD here; this thing gets put in cinemas or it doesn't get made.

HOWEVER;

the art style has to stay the same. Don't change it to that "Young Justice" inspired aesthetic they've been using for the cartoons lately. The style in this book is perfect, and deviating from that is a big mistake. It also has to be a high quality animation. Don't halfass it because good animation is expensive.

Keep it aimed at kids. This was not a story where DC's cheap gratuitous violence has any place. No hearts ripped out of chests, no giant splashes of blood across the screen. This book was made to be a family friendly Pixar movie, and if DC can't make it a cartoon without losing that sensibility then don't do it at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

An Into the Spider-Verse highly stylized CGI animated movie would be spectacular. I don't know that live action would do it justice.

While the subject matter still makes me somewhat uncomfortable (see my earlier posts in this thread for why), I can't deny this is probably the best Superman story in a decade, without question one of the best. There is nothing in the mainline continuity that comes close and there hasn't been for years (Post COIE Sups return with Lois & Jon in tow is about the only exception), IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'd love to see this animated as if it were an updated Fleischer short.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

DC just recently uploaded a trailer of the upcoming trade collection

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

I wonder if Yang would ever be interested in doing a sequel of some sort.

I mean, I don't think every story needs a sequel, and this one stands on its own just fine. I'd rather not have a sequel at all than one that doesn't live up to Smash. But if Yang has another story in him with this version of Superman I would very much like to see it.

Can't wait for that trade. Man I hope it sells better than the individual issues did. Such a disappointment, the direct market really doesn't know quality when they see it.

~ Black Panther.

I will buy it. Heard enough good things about it.

I also really want 'Superman Up in the Sky' by King. Any idea when is out collected?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wonder if Yang would ever be interested in doing a sequel of some sort.

I mean, I don't think every story needs a sequel, and this one stands on its own just fine. I'd rather not have a sequel at all than one that doesn't live up to Smash. But if Yang has another story in him with this version of Superman I would very much like to see it.

Can't wait for that trade. Man I hope it sells better than the individual issues did. Such a disappointment, the direct market really doesn't know quality when they see it.
    I'd be down for Yang to do more Superman stories .