Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s just the prestige standalone label for DC nowadays. They slapped BL on All-Star Superman which is not an “adult” book at all. I just would like more standalone books from Yang, whatever form that might take. They just fired the guy directing the YA line, so who he’ll knows if BL or YA DC books will even be coming.
    I saw. Black Label and YA heads gone. I still think books like them will exist though. Or I really hope so anyways.

Figured we were due some good news:

Source: https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...novels-q2-2020

Superman Smashes The Klan was in the top 5 of units sold and top 10 of dollars invoiced. So happy for Yang now give the man a Black Label Superman book (assuming Black Label will even survive the purge happening right now).
    That's great news! I want a sequel .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How would a sequel even work? I mean thematically there is nothing to add, just normal Superman stories in that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    How would a sequel even work? I mean thematically there is nothing to add, just normal Superman stories in that setting.
    I just love the bright Golden Age aesthetic, character designs, characterizations, and depiction of Superman's world in the book. I know thematically it was a complete story but I would still love to see stories in this setting with Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, superman just came out of the closet as an alien. There is tons of xenophobia to go around. I mean, astroboy is a thing. Clark saving people that hate him, see him as a thing or a monster.. Etc can be very interesting .
    I just love the bright Golden Age aesthetic, character designs, characterizations, and depiction of Superman's world in the book. I know thematically it was a complete story but I would still love to see stories in this setting with Superman.
    Well, supes started flying and started being more about his alien heritage. Its not goldenage anymore. On a side note, i love me a superman running on electric cables and bouncing around.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-11-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I mean, superman just came out of the closet as an alien. There is tons of xenophobia to go around. I mean, astroboy is a thing. Clark saving people that hate him, see him as a thing or a monster.. Etc can be very interesting .
    I kind of doubt that's how things would progress, but there's probably plenty of socially conscious stories to still tell with this Superman .
    Well, supes started flying and started being more about his alien heritage. Its not goldenage anymore. On a side note, i love me a superman running on electric cables and bouncing around.
    But it still has that aesthetic, so I think it counts.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I kind of doubt that's how things would progress, but there's probably plenty of socially conscious stories to still tell with this Superman .
    I am just saying that superman has lots of avenues. Astroboy is light hearted and for kids as well. Also, superman having hair like this would be wierd as hell.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Superman Smashes The Klan was in the top 5 of units sold and top 10 of dollars invoiced. So happy for Yang now give the man a Black Label Superman book (assuming Black Label will even survive the purge happening right now).
    Why isn't this getting more attention? I had to spread the news around like sending the link to the Superman Homepage so more Superman fans would know that the book is doing well.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Why isn't this getting more attention? I had to spread the news around like sending the link to the Superman Homepage so more Superman fans would know that the book is doing well.
    Unfortunately DC fans have some very massive negative news to cope with, so wins like these seem small in comparison. It’s gratifying to see the book do so well, but after AT&T went scorched Earth on the YA and BL imprints, it’s hard not to feel despondent. Who knows if we’ll ever get more work from Yang?

Unfortunately DC fans have some very massive negative news to cope with, so wins like these seem small in comparison. It’s gratifying to see the book do so well, but after AT&T went scorched Earth on the YA and BL imprints, it’s hard not to feel despondent. Who knows if we’ll ever get more work from Yang?
    It's a shame all the good news is being swept under the rug because many of the "usual" detractors were going on about how the book will flop before it even came out because it's too "woke" or that nonsense
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    It's a shame all the good news is being swept under the rug because many of the "usual" detractors were going on about how the book will flop before it even came out because it's too "woke" or that nonsense
    Comicsgate are dipshits, what else is new? Anyone who is upset at Superman punching the KKK can get bent. I don’t even waste my time on those idiots.

No no. Smash is a self-contained, full story that stands on its own and does not require a sequel; that'll only diminish it. Unless there's another socially relevant moment in Clark's history that Yang can update the way he did this radio serial?

However! More stories *like* this, with that "Golden Age meets Pixar" quality, would be utterly fantastic. I don't want a sequel to Smash, but I so very much want more stories *like* Smash.

Comicsgate are dipshits, what else is new? Anyone who is upset at Superman punching the KKK can get bent. I don’t even waste my time on those idiots.
    It is always culturally and socially acceptable to punch a nazi in the face.

Hell, it's your civic duty to do so. And nothing is better than watching Superman beat racist jackasses into the mud.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I know, I love it too. But after such a strong story I kind of want don't want it muddled with. Like if it returns, it should be to really say something you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Outside of seeing the CGI movie I'm not all that familiar with Astroboy. But really the main thing you're saying is stuff Superman Smashes the Klan already did and explored. Sure there is plenty of bigotry and xenophobia to go around, but it's kind of just repeating the same thing that just happened. Unless there's something different to add or another angle to view it from, it's just there. But if Yang has an idea for a sequel I'm all for it. He's more than earned my trust and interest here.

Glad to hear it sold well.

And I got a copy but still haven't read it.

I checked the article said this "We will begin monthly charts with July rankings.", which gives the impression they were calculating sales for July, which means the book was in the top 10 for at least two months, which is pretty good.