Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Sh*t, now you're appealing to my sense of social responsibility and I'm thinking they should make it controversial and grab those angry Fox News headlines, just on the hope that it makes some people sit back and consider why they're on the opposite side of an issue from Superman.
    That's basically where I've been on it this whole time.

I want Superman to keep on dropping those anvils, as many times as it takes.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I've been looking at it from the perspective that Superman needs a big clean win.

That, and Smash being set in the 40's is just awesome for a lot of reasons. You know me; I love me my Golden Age badass.

But yeah, there is something infinitely satisfying about Superman pissing off the right people. And I am never against that.

Make it two different projects; Smash should be adapted directly, if it's adapted at all, and that includes the time period. Do another project where Clark can directly call out the losers and set in the present day so it can't be ignored as easily.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I've been looking at it from the perspective that Superman needs a big clean win.

That, and Smash being set in the 40's is just awesome for a lot of reasons. You know me; I love me my Golden Age badass.

But yeah, there is something infinitely satisfying about Superman pissing off the right people. And I am never against that.

Make it two different projects; Smash should be adapted directly, if it's adapted at all, and that includes the time period. Do another project where Clark can directly call out the losers and set in the present day so it can't be ignored as easily.
    So what you’re saying is we should adapt Greg Pak and Grant Morrison’s t-shirt and jeans Superman who fights cyborg NeoNazis AND Smashes the Klan!

03D6F907-DFD7-4F95-B032-4F675C6B441F.jpg
    He does feel bad about laughing just for those of you who think it’s OOC for him to do so, not because they don’t deserve to be laughed at, but because he doesn’t want to enjoy punching down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So what you’re saying is we should adapt Greg Pak and Grant Morrison’s t-shirt and jeans Superman who fights cyborg NeoNazis AND Smashes the Klan!
    F*cking right I am!

Give me Smash, done Pixar style and made for families. Don't screw with the story, just be completely loyal to the source material. Theatrical release, with a quick jump into rental and disk. If WB did it right, that movie would give Into the Spider-Verse a run for its money. As an aside, I think the soundtrack is gonna be key.

Then give me a Morrison/Pak style t-shirt folk hero Bruce Springsteen Superman who gets sh*t done. A live action movie would be cool but I'd rather get a hoighty toight big deal HBO Max type of show that has a habit of making insightful but shocking statements. Six-eight episodes a season, high production value. And he can call out every corrupt businessman turned politician he wants to, save as many illegal aliens as he likes, protest peacefully, be chased by cops, throw scumbags into rivers, and over all be a hero of the common man who just plain gives a sh*t about other people's lives.

The person who can give me that and not screw either up, I would kiss right on the mouth.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-27-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Smash could very much work as a modern day story, and be just as poignant and on-the-nose.

But I don't actually think that's a good idea. At least not right now.

Setting the story in the present is only going to turn it into a partisan issue. Those on the right will assume it's an attack directed at them and scream and bitch about Superman abandoning American values (even though nothing like that happens), those on the left will champion the work and call it a return to greatness and claim Superman himself is on "their" side (even though Clark never takes a political stance like that). And the work itself will just be buried under all that noise. Our....darling....president will tweet about it at 3am instead of running the country, Pelosi will wear a little Superman pin instead of an American flag, and all of them will just drag the character into the mud with them.

I'd rather avoid all that. The people who fall into these "us v them" arguments lack the maturity to see that Smash isn't about the left or the right, donald trump or anything else, but they'll drag the Man of Tomorrow down with them in their endless rage-fests. Superman has enough problems right now without this particular story being turned into a campaign slogan. If we want a story where Superman calls d-bag politicians to task for their complete lack of humanity (and I'd support such a story), let it be a different tale than this one. Smash is too special to let those people waste it by turning it into a talking point.
    Doubt it - Trump doesn't read.

Of course not, but the people around him do and they rarely let an insult pass.

I maintain that Smash is too special to turn into an attack on current events. Plenty of other stories to adapt for that, let Smash be what it is. It'll be more successful and Superman's reputation will be repaired that little bit more.

Like I said, do the Morrison t-shirt Superman if you want to take a shot directly at current events and leadership. I'll support the hell out of both. I miss activist Superman.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-27-2020 at 07:36 PM.

~ Black Panther.

Of course not, but the people around him do and they rarely let an insult pass.
    Not the people around him - Fox News (which isn't really a news network, but whatever). If they mention it, only then will Trump know it exists and tweet about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so will the mini series be adapted into an animated special?
    It should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    It should be.
    Should doesn't mean will, and thinking on it I'd be surprised if they do - making it more pg13 to fit the current line probably wouldn't be right, yet there's no children's line of DC DTV movies outside Teen Titans GO and Superhero Girls. I mean, they would just have to make a special all on their own, and they don't do that (JLA Adventures and Batman Unlimited were backed by a toyline, this probably wouldn't be).

Not impossible, but all together makes it more improbable.

Oh we're damn unlikely to get Smash in any kind of adaptation. Not because it's hard or doesn't fit in anywhere, but because WB seems to be allergic to good Superman stories.

Smash could easily be turned into a film or direct-to-dvd cartoon; it doesnt have to fit into any other mold or imprint currently in use. But a story about Superman being awesome and making the world better? WB doesn't believe in that.

~ Black Panther.

Oh we're damn unlikely to get Smash in any kind of adaptation. Not because it's hard or doesn't fit in anywhere, but because WB seems to be allergic to good Superman stories.

Smash could easily be turned into a film or direct-to-dvd cartoon; it doesnt have to fit into any other mold or imprint currently in use. But a story about Superman being awesome and making the world better? WB doesn't believe in that.
    I really doubt WB cares or takes that into consideration. They're a business, not in it just to make the world a worse place and kick puppies. But they run a business just so, hence why most of these DTVs fall into a line. Not all no, but most. But it isn't their mission to make Superman fail and never adapt anything good.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It may take a few years, but I think it's inevitable that Superman Smashes the Klan will get an animated adaptation. I can't think of a recent Superman story that was embraced this fast and this universally by readers and creators alike. That doesn't happen very often. The last time this happened was All Star Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To be more exact, at least for me, I don't think Superman should be a controversial figure, as in seeking out controversy for controversy's sake. But at the same time he should not be afraid of controversy, if the story demands it.
    He doesn't need to. by his very nature,He would be.The character was controversial at first or infamous in universe. Out of it, he became famous. When he became famous. He dropped that. But, slowly the controversy that is superman caught up. People now either find him boring or pinnacle of human morality that should absolutely be emulated and everything in between.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-28-2020 at 10:04 PM.

F*cking right I am!

Give me Smash, done Pixar style and made for families. Don't screw with the story, just be completely loyal to the source material. Theatrical release, with a quick jump into rental and disk. If WB did it right, that movie would give Into the Spider-Verse a run for its money. As an aside, I think the soundtrack is gonna be key.
    Play the hell out of Woody Guthrie?

This Land Is Your Land (with all the verses). Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos). Ain't Got No Home.
    Old Man Trump (okay, written in 1954, you might want to save it for your next take). Vigilante Man.

Then give me a Morrison/Pak style t-shirt folk hero Bruce Springsteen Superman who gets sh*t done. A live action movie would be cool but I'd rather get a hoighty toight big deal HBO Max type of show that has a habit of making insightful but shocking statements. Six-eight episodes a season, high production value. And he can call out every corrupt businessman turned politician he wants to, save as many illegal aliens as he likes, protest peacefully, be chased by cops, throw scumbags into rivers, and over all be a hero of the common man who just plain gives a sh*t about other people's lives.

The person who can give me that and not screw either up, I would kiss right on the mouth.
    Would require the right writer, preferably one that can get a Clark Kent to work and fit in with a blue-collar Superman.

Hmm… Wolfman's "Man and Superman" might provide a basic take to build on there.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Oh man, shut the hell up and take my money right now, if anyone makes that show.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."