Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wonder if Yang would ever be interested in doing a sequel of some sort.

I mean, I don't think every story needs a sequel, and this one stands on its own just fine. I'd rather not have a sequel at all than one that doesn't live up to Smash. But if Yang has another story in him with this version of Superman I would very much like to see it.

Can't wait for that trade. Man I hope it sells better than the individual issues did. Such a disappointment, the direct market really doesn't know quality when they see it.
    I hope the trade sells better too, the problem is that the comic industry was hit hard by the current pandemic plus the comic seem to have been "too political" for a number of readers.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I mean, I don't think every story needs a sequel, and this one stands on its own just fine. I'd rather not have a sequel at all than one that doesn't live up to Smash. But if Yang has another story in him with this version of Superman I would very much like to see it.

Can't wait for that trade. Man I hope it sells better than the individual issues did. Such a disappointment, the direct market really doesn't know quality when they see it.
    It was alright. Didn’t go as far with the analysis at it could have, even for a DC superhero story, but it was better done enough than other writers probably would have done with it.

Direct market sales don’t really matter for these kinds of books since they’re aimed at kids. I hope it sells well too, I really want Yang to get a Black Label Superman book. If SSTK sells well in trades maybe that’s possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I will buy it. Heard enough good things about it.

I also really want 'Superman Up in the Sky' by King. Any idea when is out collected?
    I think shops should already be getting copies, Brad Anderson posted a pic of his comps.
    https://twitter.com/bdanderson13/sta...283110912?s=21

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd be down for Yang to do more Superman stories .
    I think he should be given a Superman kids book. It can take place in this universe like Sean Murphy and the White Knight Batman or it can be a new one but we keep saying that DC needs to make more books for kids, Yang sounds perfect for that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Direct market sales don’t really matter for these kinds of books since they’re aimed at kids. I hope it sells well too, I really want Yang to get a Black Label Superman book. If SSTK sells well in trades maybe that’s possible.

I think shops should already be getting copies, Brad Anderson posted a pic of his comps.
    https://twitter.com/bdanderson13/sta...283110912?s=21
    And thank the gods that direct market sales don't matter here. I really think Smash is exactly the sort of thing Superman needs to appeal to new, young readers. We need more of that stuff. Kids get Superman better than cynical adults do.

I really hope Yang gets more Superman stuff, as long as it's outside continuity. He does incredible stuff when he gets to work on his own, but his run during Truth was.....not so great. We can blame the story on that, and it did seem like plans changed behind the scenes halfway through, but Pak managed to make the first half of that mess enjoyable so I'm thinking Yang just might be a guy who works best when he's not dealing with tons of editorial constraints.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Superman is still immensely popular among kids, who don't have a clue about what's currently considered cool, so Superman Smashes The Klan is going to do gangbusters with its target audience

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I hope the trade sells better too, the problem is that the comic industry was hit hard by the current pandemic plus the comic seem to have been "too political" for a number of readers.
    I mean, this is movies, but the Captain America movies are politically comic book-related media that has been popular with many kids, no?

I'd call that pretty suspect, myself.

Racism is not a political issue (the mess we call politics notwithstanding). If someone has a problem with Superman punching racist d-bags in the face, then that person can f**k off. Punching nazis and racists is *always* the correct thing to do. It's one of the few absolutes in life.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I mean, this is movies, but the Captain America movies are politically comic book-related media that has been popular with many kids, no?
    That's why I put typed too political in "", because I don't see how Superman fighting against racists could be considered too political.

Also a number of readers were not fans of the art style for some reason.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Punching nazis and racists is *always* the correct thing to do. It's one of the few absolutes in life.
    Well on the subject of what you said, seems like this black parole officer thought differently then:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-remove...social_fb_abcn

Well on the subject of what you said, seems like this black parole officer thought differently then:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-remove...social_fb_abcn
    Superman would be proud.

Superman would be proud.
    Agreed. I felt similarly with his encounter with Chuck. He could have punched down that foolish kid for what he said, but he didn’t, and left him with something potentially life-changing to think about.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-19-2020 at 11:21 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That's great.but, Sometimes you need to punch or defend yourself to get people straightened up. Words can't get through to some people. Furthermore, it's news cause its an exception. I would love for that to happen more. But, that ain't the case.it largely depends on the people you deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's great.but, Sometimes you need to punch or defend yourself to get people straightened up. Words can't get through to some people. Furthermore, it's news cause its an exception. I would love for that to happen more. But, that ain't the case.it largely depends on the people you deal with.
    This isn’t to discourage for defensive/preserving violence, but to emphasize that just as there’s a good time and good place for violence, that there’s also a good time and good place for conversational turning over new leaf where it’s possible and warranted, and what people can come to realize is that there’s room enough for both approaches, once again calling back to how Superman doesn’t need to make kids bruised or bleed, even when they attempt to emulate racist-based lunatics like how Chuck did.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-19-2020 at 03:09 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

This isn’t to discourage for defensive/preserving violence, but to emphasize that just as there’s a good time and good place for violence, that there’s also a good time and good place for conversational turning over new leaf where it’s possible and warranted, and what people can come to realize is that there’s room enough for both approaches, once again calling back to how Superman doesn’t need to make kids bruised or bleed, even when they attempt to emulate racist-based lunatics like how Chuck did.
    Well, the story smashes the klan doesn't shy away from it. Does it? It shows the klan members nephew turning a new leaf. didn't it? There is redemption for those that seek it. Some just become idealogues or extremists with out a mind of their own. Even talking to them would be like talking to brick wall. They are so convinced with the idea so much so that they would die for it. And it also depends on the approach. If you use the "hey! Kids" nonsense, that permeated superman.With superman talking to people like he is above it all. Yeah! That's just bad. Thankfully, superman talks to everyone, even the kids with out it and as one of the.So, there is that.