Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Wait, you mean I can already order this book too?

I ordered Up in the Sky yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    No specific reasons, but whenever a Superman story comes around that is so instantly beloved and embraced by the fans, DC Animation tends to take notice and adapt it. Not only does the art style lend itself to animation, but the story is a perfect one and done that could easily be condensed into 90 minutes.

Pretty much every big Superman story since the mid-90s has been adapted, so I think Superman Smashes The Klan is a shoe-in.
    I don't know if that's entirely true. Yes they did All Star, and arguably the Brainiac story (I think that book was popular?), but that may have been for a lack of other beloved stories of sufficient length? Although by the same measure it's not not true...

Either way I certainly hope you're right, and like the optimism.

Is that true? I know they did Death of Superman twice, Reign once, All Star pretty quickly, Brainiac, and Red Son 20 years after the fact, and whatever story vs the Elite was based on - possibly more if you count the DCAU? There's got to be more stories than that though? None of the popular origin stories have been adapted, or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, or Kingdom Come. I don't know. Maybe I just feel like that number should be bigger or something? Or one of the films should have impressed me a lot more as a Superman fan? Hmm...

Well, hopefully your guess is right.

They did For the Man Who Has Everything in either the JL or JLU cartoons. And they did a weird kind of remix of Red Son in Justice League Action.

Other than that, and the ones you mentioned already? I can't think of many popular Superman tales that've been adapted.

I'm hoping Smash gets a cartoon; it's perfect for the format. But I dunno how likely that is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know if that's entirely true. Yes they did All Star, and arguably the Brainiac story (I think that book was popular?), but that may have been for a lack of other beloved stories of sufficient length? Although by the same measure it's not not true...

Either way I certainly hope you're right, and like the optimism.

Is that true? I know they did Death of Superman twice, Reign once, All Star pretty quickly, Brainiac, and Red Son 20 years after the fact, and whatever story vs the Elite was based on - possibly more if you count the DCAU? There's got to be more stories than that though? None of the popular origin stories have been adapted, or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, or Kingdom Come. I don't know. Maybe I just feel like that number should be bigger or something? Or one of the films should have impressed me a lot more as a Superman fan? Hmm...

Well, hopefully your guess is right.
    Hm there are a few I’d say.
    Escape from Bizarro World
    Last Son of Krypton
    Up, Up, and Away
    Kurt Busiek’s Run but specifically Camelot Falls
    Secret Identity
    Morrison’s Action Comics Run
    Birthright
    Superman & The Legion of Superheroes
    Tomasi’s Superman run
    Pak’s Batman/Superman run
    Unchained
    Ending Battle
    Up in the Sky
    Those are the ones I want to see. You could also adapt Secret Origin or Man & Superman but I doubt we’ll get multiple origin movies and if I had to choose just one I’d pick Birthright.

Now there’s plenty of lesser known or even bad Superman stories you could adapt, and really that might be something they should consider, because a lot of these stories do have some good ideas. New Krypton for example could make for a very fascinating series of movies if they changed the ending. Death of Clark Kent could be an interesting one since that was Hush before Hush existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm there are a few I’d say.
    Escape from Bizarro World
    Last Son of Krypton
    Up, Up, and Away
    Kurt Busiek’s Run but specifically Camelot Falls
    Secret Identity
    Morrison’s Action Comics Run
    Birthright
    Superman & The Legion of Superheroes
    Tomasi’s Superman run
    Pak’s Batman/Superman run
    Unchained
    Ending Battle
    Up in the Sky
    Those are the ones I want to see. You could also adapt Secret Origin or Man & Superman but I doubt we’ll get multiple origin movies and if I had to choose just one I’d pick Birthright.

Now there’s plenty of lesser known or even bad Superman stories you could adapt, and really that might be something they should consider, because a lot of these stories do have some good ideas. New Krypton for example could make for a very fascinating series of movies if they changed the ending. Death of Clark Kent could be an interesting one since that was Hush before Hush existed.
    If I could only pick one origin I'd pick Birthright too, although Man and Superman might be an easier story to adapt. And doesn't Morrison's Action run count as an origin as well? Although I've made my distaste with his writing style/storytelling known (although I do love his characterization of early Superman a lot - dude writes good characters, it's just everything else that disconnects with me).

I haven't gotten around to Secret Identity yet, but it is one of the stories I'm most interested in checking out. Will probably be my next Superman title after Smashes.

How about some more Superman team ups or Superman heavy JL stories? I loved the Superman Batman movies personally, and something like Trinity would make a good movie.

Also if more Elseworlds make it to movies, would you consider Speeding Bullets a Superman or Batman story?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I suspect that Superman: Man of Tomorrow will be a remix of various origin stories, with heavy emphasis on Morrison, Johns & Waid's. At least I hope it is.

I think any Legion of the Superheroes adaptations are on hold until Bendis has fully established his new version, at which point I expect WB will go all in on that in hopes of repeating Miles Morales and striking mainstream gold.

Last Son would make for a pretty good movie, particularly now that Snyder's Man of Steel has faded from the pop cultural radar a tad.

Escape to Bizarro World would be great, but I think Bizarro is a divisive character for the more mainstream audiences these films are aimed at.

Secret Identity is a very quiet human story, so I'm not sure if it would work as an animated feature.

Kingdom Come is too tied to Alex Ross's painted art.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow would be interesting but I'm not sure how well it would translate to anyone not heavily versed in Superman history.

And, frankly, that's about it as far as notable Superman stories for the past few years. There's been some really fun stuff, but nothing that popped in the way that's necessary for an animated adaptation.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 04-27-2020 at 03:26 AM.

I'm torn by the idea of Man of Tomorrow being a combination of different Superman origins. On the one hand, well, Birthright is easily the most cinematic comic origin, and I've long been salty that Morrison's Action origin hasn't gotten a fair shake in the adaptation department - ironic considering that it used to be considered a shoo-in for the "next adaptation" slot, back in the early post-Flashpoint days of 2012, 2013. And on top of that, Man and Superman is pretty solid? If an animated adaptation managed to distill all three, I'd be pleased.

I'd also be impressed and surprised. That's a hard thing to pull off. On top of that, I'm definitely kind of burnt out on origin stories and would at least a little bit be disappointed if that's all Man of Tomorrow was, another origin retelling. After all, there's spans of time where we seem to get a new Superman origin take every year and a half or so! Ridiculous, you know?

I think I'd rather have a quality original story for an animated movie, rather than another origin story.

If Superman Smashes the Klan is that story, all the better!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If I could only pick one origin I'd pick Birthright too, although Man and Superman might be an easier story to adapt. And doesn't Morrison's Action run count as an origin as well? Although I've made my distaste with his writing style/storytelling known (although I do love his characterization of early Superman a lot - dude writes good characters, it's just everything else that disconnects with me).

I haven't gotten around to Secret Identity yet, but it is one of the stories I'm most interested in checking out. Will probably be my next Superman title after Smashes.

How about some more Superman team ups or Superman heavy JL stories? I loved the Superman Batman movies personally, and something like Trinity would make a good movie.

Also if more Elseworlds make it to movies, would you consider Speeding Bullets a Superman or Batman story?
    Morrison’s Action probably would count as an origin story, but it’s not primarily an origin. It’s not really concerned with “how did Clark become Superman” so much as it’s about exploring the first few years of Clark’s career. Primarily what I would want to see them lift is t-shirt and jeans Superman fighting the Metropolis elites as well as Metallo. That’s the portion I want and the part I think is easily adaptable.

The only major Loeb Superman/Batman story they haven’t adapted is Emperor Joker, although they did kinda do a very loose adaption in TBATB cartoon. Trinity could work, they should probably be pushing WW more. Otherwise the first arc of Pak Batman/Superman where they go to Earth 2 and meet their counterparts could be pretty easily adaptable or the arc where they both loose their memories and Supes ends up teaming up with Catwoman while Bats teams up with Lois.

He’ll be one of the stars of Apokolips War, and after that that I expect the next JL movie will focus on someone else which is fine by me. Personally I’d love to see either the Burning Martian or Prometheus arcs get turned into movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I suspect that Superman: Man of Tomorrow will be a remix of various origin stories, with heavy emphasis on Morrison, Johns & Waid's. At least I hope it is.
    I'm kind of the opposite in that I hope it is not. On one hand I hope it isn't an outright origin and more a sort of Year Two kind of story. On the other hand if it is an origin I'd rather it be either an original story or a faithful adaptation of an existing story - I have no interest in some mash up film. And if I'm allowed a third hand, if it has to be a mash up, my vote is for the stories it takes from to be Birthright and Man and Superman - maybe have t-shirt and jeans Superman but leave out any Morrisonian plots. John's take on the origin is...I'm glad he included the Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm torn by the idea of Man of Tomorrow being a combination of different Superman origins. On the one hand, well, Birthright is easily the most cinematic comic origin, and I've long been salty that Morrison's Action origin hasn't gotten a fair shake in the adaptation department - ironic considering that it used to be considered a shoo-in for the "next adaptation" slot, back in the early post-Flashpoint days of 2012, 2013. And on top of that, Man and Superman is pretty solid? If an animated adaptation managed to distill all three, I'd be pleased.

I'd also be impressed and surprised. That's a hard thing to pull off. On top of that, I'm definitely kind of burnt out on origin stories and would at least a little bit be disappointed if that's all Man of Tomorrow was, another origin retelling. After all, there's spans of time where we seem to get a new Superman origin take every year and a half or so! Ridiculous, you know?

I think I'd rather have a quality original story for an animated movie, rather than another origin story.
    Agreed with all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Morrison’s Action probably would count as an origin story, but it’s not primarily an origin. It’s not really concerned with “how did Clark become Superman” so much as it’s about exploring the first few years of Clark’s career. Primarily what I would want to see them lift is t-shirt and jeans Superman fighting the Metropolis elites as well as Metallo. That’s the portion I want and the part I think is easily adaptable.

The only major Loeb Superman/Batman story they haven’t adapted is Emperor Joker, although they did kinda do a very loose adaption in TBATB cartoon. Trinity could work, they should probably be pushing WW more. Otherwise the first arc of Pak Batman/Superman where they go to Earth 2 and meet their counterparts could be pretty easily adaptable or the arc where they both loose their memories and Supes ends up teaming up with Catwoman while Bats teams up with Lois.

He’ll be one of the stars of Apokolips War, and after that that I expect the next JL movie will focus on someone else which is fine by me. Personally I’d love to see either the Burning Martian or Prometheus arcs get turned into movies.
    I only read volume 1 of the Action run, so like the first 8 issues? The Brainiac arc I guess. It was kind of confusing and off putting to be honest so I didn't read more than that. I like how Superman was portrayed, I just couldn't stand how the story was being told.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's a great story. Always nice to see someone amend their ways.

But punching racists is still a completely viable and acceptable choice.
    I think that in this day and age, the biggest unfortunate problem isn’t so much terrors war-driven racism that we should use self-defense towards like army soldiers, keeping in mind of recent events, but learned, pernicious racism, which can deep into a young person’s mind and creates an artificial barrier that prevents them from having care and concern for their fellow flesh and blood human beings.

I tell ya, what I saw Chuck going through in Superman Smashes the Klan very much reminded me of the unfortunate and tragic scenario of parents raising their toddlers like this toddler from this 1992 photo.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I think that in this day and age, the biggest unfortunate problem isn’t so much terrors war-driven racism that we should use self-defense towards like army soldiers, keeping in mind of recent events, but learned, pernicious racism, which can deep into a young person’s mind and creates an artificial barrier that prevents them from having care and concern for their fellow flesh and blood human beings.

I tell ya, what I saw Chuck going through in Superman Smashes the Klan very much reminded me of the unfortunate and tragic scenario of parents raising their toddlers like this toddler from this 1992 photo.

If you want to make kids to realise the bad in being raised the way they are. Sometimes, you have to show them that the leading a life driven by pernicious ideas can lead to punishment or bad outcomes. So, yeah! Parents getting punched for spreading and acting on ideas that cause harm to the people would make them realise it. One could argue that kids could pick up violent tendencies(which is something inevitable these days) . But, there is and always was a catch to superman as figure. He is at the end of the day a vigilante. He would'nt exactly be "good" guy. There could be bad outcomes to the existence of superman, as well. If the story is honest about that detail. It wouldn't really matter.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If you want to make kids to realise the bad in being raised the way they are. Sometimes, you have to show them that the leading a life driven by pernicious ideas can lead to punishment or bad outcomes. So, yeah! Parents getting punched for spreading and acting on ideas that cause harm to the people would make them realise it. One could argue that kids could pick up violent tendencies(which is something inevitable these days) . But, there is and always was a catch to superman as figure. He is at the end of the day a vigilante. He would'nt exactly be "good" guy. There could be bad outcomes to the existence of superman, as well. If the story is honest about that detail. It wouldn't really matter.
    This isn’t saying kids shouldn’t learn, it’s that ultimately violence isn’t the only solution, as much as others hype it up to be as if we’re in World War III, lest you want to see toddlers laying in the streets after receiving bloody punches. Even Superman did right by knowing when to choose to use violence as opposed to using violence on Chuck, which I think is also important to realize by the same merit of it being important to know when to use self-defense and so on. That’s all.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 05-11-2020 at 11:08 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

This isn’t saying kids shouldn’t learn, it’s that ultimately violence isn’t the only solution, as much as others hype it up to be as if we’re in World War III, lest you want to see toddlers laying in the streets after receiving bloody punches. Even Superman did right by knowing when to choose to use violence as opposed to using violence on Chuck, which I think is important by the same merit of it being important to know when to use self-defense and so on.
    As said, superman is a vigilante. It needs to be put in perspective.He can't be a role model nor should that impression be created. There are certain things about the character worth emulating. Certain others, not so much.For him, violence has become an requirement more. It is criticisable and should be in story. But, ultimately something that can be sympathised with.Besides, to put it bluntly superman is an action story and hero. He would punch stuff. It's in the very dna.

Anyways, Why would he be written to punch chuck? That doesn't seem very productive.It would be like luffy punching Saint Donquixote Mjosgard or hachi after they came back with a different view point.

Oh I don't mean "it's always okay to punch racists" literally. Not really. Yes, punching racists is highly rewarding and they deserve it but come on, in the real world you can't actually do that. At least not all the time. And even if we could, kids don't count. Those aren't racists, they're victims who need to be saved and shown a better way.

Kids are always off limits. You never target kids.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

The trade version has been available since May 12th both the paperback and the digital version.

https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Smas.../dp/1779504217

https://www.comixology.com/Superman-...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark