Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s obviously a touchy subject. It’s possible DC didn’t want to stumble into the “white savior” troupe.
    If Superman is helping a Chinese family, isn't that still a white savior trope?

However, an author is allowed to write the story he gets approved and it seems it's more meaningful to him based on his own background. I'm sure it will be written in a universal enough manner that any immigrant population or minority can relate to it.

I'm not as bowled over by the art as some of you are. It seems a little too simplistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It might be getting too close to the "white savior" thing, but this could have been (and still might be, who knows?) a great introduction for a 40's version of John Henry Irons/Steel too.
    Would love to see the version from New Frontier brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Minor nitpick, but I would call this an adaptation of the legendary story from outside comics instead of a period piece. I feel the latter emphasizes a civil rights softball, picking something almost completely without modern controversy as comfort food, instead of Yang's unique angle to the radio program and its characters.
    Eh, I feel that period piece works just as well as adaptation, especially when the story getting adapted is set in a historic time. But it really is just semantics I think.

As for it working better if the Lees were black instead of Chinese, I feel like that's really unimportant to the story. What matters is it's a universal message that we're struggling with now; nationalism and anti-immigration attitudes are unfortunately all too prevalent today, and making them Chinese helps add that immigration narrative to it along with the racism problem. Whatever their race, the Lees are victims because of that and because they weren't born here. If we really wanted to focus on the immigration aspect though, making them Hispanic would be the best option. But again, ultimately what race they are specifically is besides the point - as long as they represent the minority, the new, the "other" it works from a pure story telling perspective. Besides, that the writer is Asian American writing about Asian immigrants to America, and that gives it that much more weight and authenticity, which is a good thing.

Im thinking I'm going to leave a copy in some random location like a bus stop, with a note attached that says "enjoy!"
    I really wouldn't do that if I were you - It could get thrown away unread as trash, or ruined out in the weather (again unread). If you really want to have people enjoy another copy of this you should donate it to your local library, increasing the odds that someone will read it, and yes that they will enjoy it. You could even try to donate it to a public school's library, since it is aimed at a more middle school aged reading level (I believe that was the intended demographic of this line). If you're gonna do good, might as well try and do the most good.

Censorship Sucks

The Klan is still alive and well today!! Don't you guys watch Jerry Springer?? lol
    Ten dollars for a book. I might have been interested in picking it up but that price is to steep for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    The Klan is still alive and well today!! Don't you guys watch Jerry Springer?? lol
    Ten dollars for a book. I might have been interested in picking it up but that price is to steep for me.
    Is the Jerry Springer Show still being aired? lol If so, that's news to me.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

However, an author is allowed to write the story he gets approved and it seems it's more meaningful to him based on his own background. I'm sure it will be written in a universal enough manner that any immigrant population or minority can relate to it.

I'm not as bowled over by the art as some of you are. It seems a little too simplistic to me.
    But as a representation of “the immigrants’ story” it’s something that connects the narrative of the character. Immigrants trying to assimilate to the new country and being persecuted for being different. It makes it relevant to Superman himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I really wouldn't do that if I were you - It could get thrown away unread as trash, or ruined out in the weather (again unread). If you really want to have people enjoy another copy of this you should donate it to your local library, increasing the odds that someone will read it, and yes that they will enjoy it. You could even try to donate it to a public school's library, since it is aimed at a more middle school aged reading level (I believe that was the intended demographic of this line). If you're gonna do good, might as well try and do the most good.
    That is an excellent suggestion!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Thanks! If you want to give a new book away, the library is the best place you could ask for. I'm a big believer in the public and school libraries, and they deserve all the support they can get!

Agreed! Here's another thought, in the same line as that: donating it to the library is a great suggestion - and if you buy more copies, leave them in some "free little libraries" if you have any by you. If you're not familiar, that's where people have a small, enclosed space on their front lawn (usually looking like a doll house or some such) where you open the door and take a book out, and usually leave one in it's place. We have a lot of them here in Iowa, and I might have to do that around here.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Thanks! If you want to give a new book away, the library is the best place you could ask for. I'm a big believer in the public and school libraries, and they deserve all the support they can get!
    No, I totally agree. To my shame, libraries left my conscious thoughts once the internet became a thing and I only remember they exist on rare occasion.

Definitely donating a copy to my kids' school library, and if I do actually buy a third copy that one will go to the local city library. Thanks for the idea man (or ma'am), that's some damn good common sense that went totally over my head until you brought it up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Agreed! Here's another thought, in the same line as that: donating it to the library is a great suggestion - and if you buy more copies, leave them in some "free little libraries" if you have any by you. If you're not familiar, that's where people have a small, enclosed space on their front lawn (usually looking like a doll house or some such) where you open the door and take a book out, and usually leave one in it's place. We have a lot of them here in Iowa, and I might have to do that around here.
    Interesting. Never heard of this. I might poke around and see if there's anything like that around here (if not for this book than just for fun) but you can understand my hesitance to go sticking my head into doll houses on strangers' property. Not interested in getting arrested. I'm too pretty for jail!

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Technically, Superman (or a lot of heroes) helping anyone not white out can be viewed as a white savior story. Execution is the key to making this sort of thing land.

I do hope Clark finds John Henry Irons beating on the KKK a la New Frontier and pitches in himself. One of my favorite moments of JSA was when something similar happened with the two Mr. Terrifics.

Interesting. Never heard of this. I might poke around and see if there's anything like that around here (if not for this book than just for fun) but you can understand my hesitance to go sticking my head into doll houses on strangers' property. Not interested in getting arrested.
    We have a number of them around us. One person's looks like a TARDIS on a post, one looks like a pipe from Mario, etc. They're a great idea (not to mention one heck of an exercise in community trust), but I definitely understand the hesitancy.

I'm too pretty for jail!
    ROTFLMAO! That reminds me of a movie line, but I can't place it. I wanna say it's a Gene Wilder line, but not 100% sure.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

this could have been (and still might be, who knows?) a great introduction for a 40's version of John Henry Irons/Steel too.
    A retro version of John kicking @$$ would be AWESOME!!