Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No, I totally agree. To my shame, libraries left my conscious thoughts once the internet became a thing and I only remember they exist on rare occasion.

Definitely donating a copy to my kids' school library, and if I do actually buy a third copy that one will go to the local city library. Thanks for the idea man (or ma'am), that's some damn good common sense that went totally over my head until you brought it up.
    It's man, and you're welcome!

Okay, besides making me think Metallo with that whole possible kryptonite heart thing, did anyone else get serious "Rocketeer" vibes off that flying Nazi dude? Like evil elseworld Rocketeer.

Also now I want a golden age Superman and Rocketeer crossover where the two fight Nazis.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Okay, besides making me think Metallo with that whole possible kryptonite heart thing, did anyone else get serious "Rocketeer" vibes off that flying Nazi dude? Like evil elseworld Rocketeer.

Also now I want a golden age Superman and Rocketeer crossover where the two fight Nazis.
    Between this and the Hawketeer that Venditti and Hitch introduced has definitely made me think there's some big fans in the DC offices.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    We have a number of them around us. One person's looks like a TARDIS on a post, one looks like a pipe from Mario, etc. They're a great idea (not to mention one heck of an exercise in community trust), but I definitely understand the hesitancy.
    Yeah, my neighborhood doesn't really roll like that. Its a nice enough place, dont get me wrong (haven't lived in the ghetto for a long time now) but we wave noncommittally to our neighbors as they jog by, we don't talk. We definitely dont go sticking our hands into their doll houses (or TARDIS, and only a fool screws around with a Mario pipe!)

ROTFLMAO! That reminds me of a movie line, but I can't place it. I wanna say it's a Gene Wilder line, but not 100% sure.
    Ha! If it's a movie line, it's news to me. But I could see Wilder saying something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    A retro version of John kicking @$$ would be AWESOME!!
    Right? It'd be badass!

Oh there's definitely a Rocketeer vibe there. And I dont doubt it's unintentional. Didnt DC try to get the rights for a Rocketeer mini at one point? Pretty sure there's fans in the office.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Between this and the Hawketeer that Venditti and Hitch introduced has definitely made me think there's some big fans in the DC offices.
    First time hearing this, but Hawketeer? And that just sounds awesome! And of course there's some big fans in DC, I mean what's not to like about a rocket powered hero punching out gangsters and Nazis? Plus that helmet is a slick design.

Right? It'd be badass!
    It would be, and it'd be kind of satisfying to see him kick some racist booty too, but would he still be an armored hero? I'm a big Steel fan and the armor is just part of the look for me. Maybe not powered, but then again considering the rocket pack already in the comic at least flight should still be doable I think.

Oh there's definitely a Rocketeer vibe there. And I dont doubt it's unintentional. Didnt DC try to get the rights for a Rocketeer mini at one point? Pretty sure there's fans in the office.
    Pretty sure you mean you "don't doubt it's intentional" (small grammar nitpick, I can't help it), and it would surprise me if there wasn't at least a little sly nod to Rocketeer with that design. First time I'm hearing about DC wanting to do a mini, kind of a shame that didn't happen if true. I'm a huge fan of the movie but I got to admit I've never read any of the comics, should definitely rectify that some day.

Anyways, seeing Metallo-Rocketeer guy (Metalloteer?) definitely interests me a bit seeing I was expecting a much more grounded story so it's surprising to see there'll still be some scifi supervillain elements to this. Makes me wonder if we'll get any more "fantastical" type villains beyond bigots in white sheets.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

In some splash pages during the new Hawkman run, a Hawkman variant of the Rocketeer has been present as one of Carter's past lives. Not much else has been done, but the character exists and I'm eager to see what they've got in store for that past life. It could just be a fun visual, but I hope they delve into it. I think it may be his Rannian incarnation.

He's visible here, beneath Carter himself:

HAWKM_11_2-3.jpg
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-15-2019 at 07:42 PM.

First time hearing this, but Hawketeer? And that just sounds awesome! And of course there's some big fans in DC, I mean what's not to like about a rocket powered hero punching out gangsters and Nazis? Plus that helmet is a slick design.
    There's nothing to dislike about rocket powered heroes, OR punching nazis, or rocket powered heroes punching nazis! Every time a comic book character punches a nazi, an angel gets their wings.

It would be, and it'd be kind of satisfying to see him kick some racist booty too, but would he still be an armored hero? I'm a big Steel fan and the armor is just part of the look for me. Maybe not powered, but then again considering the rocket pack already in the comic at least flight should still be doable I think.
    I would definitely say armor. John Henry just isn't Steel without it (and that includes New Frontier, as great as it was....I missed the armor!) so IF he shows up (and I sorta doubt he's gonna but y'never know) I definitely want him in some retro 40's style armor!

Pretty sure you mean you "don't doubt it's intentional" (small grammar nitpick, I can't help it), and it would surprise me if there wasn't at least a little sly nod to Rocketeer with that design. First time I'm hearing about DC wanting to do a mini, kind of a shame that didn't happen if true. I'm a huge fan of the movie but I got to admit I've never read any of the comics, should definitely rectify that some day.
    Stupid grammar.

And I dunno if the mini rumor is true.....could be a fabrication of my imagination. But IDW or Boom! or one of the indies did a Rocketeer thing a couple years ago. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't on the same level as Waid's Green Hornet or Black Beetle.

Anyways, seeing Metallo-Rocketeer guy (Metalloteer?) definitely interests me a bit seeing I was expecting a much more grounded story so it's surprising to see there'll still be some scifi supervillain elements to this. Makes me wonder if we'll get any more "fantastical" type villains beyond bigots in white sheets.
    I'm guessing Metalloteer *is* the big fantastical villain here, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we saw someone else too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

YEP!! If you go back to the first page of this thread I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Looks like a perfect title to have a crossover with the Rocketeer!!

Loving the artwork. A definite BUY from me!!
    I'm a HUGE Rocketeer fan and I would love to see that team-up!!

The first issue comes out tomorrow and Polygon has a new interview along with a pretty substantial lettered preview of the first issue. Full golden age power levels as well - no flying.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/...gene-luen-yang

The variant cover by Kyle Baker is pretty great as well.

Last edited by Yoda; 10-15-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ahhh I'd been waiting for that variant! Just knowing he did it doesn't give any clue whatsoever about how it's gonna look except "skillful" lol
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The first issue comes out tomorrow and Polygon has a new interview along with a pretty substantial lettered preview of the first issue. Full golden age power levels as well - no flying.

I’m so excited! And that variant is absolutely gold!

Hell yeah! You smash that klan, Superman!

I feel like I never root for Superman the way I root for Superman when he's fighting racist d-bags. It's one of my greatest joys in life.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

The only thing I'm disappointed by is that "Atom Man" isn't Nazi Metallo. I mean, Kryptonite chest? It's so obvious.

I like how Yang writes Superman, Lois, and their dynamic. The kids are really endearing too.

Is Roberta's thing that her English stammers when she's nervous or a little high-strung?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

As a hindu it pisses me of when such jackasses use swastika for their nonesense.Anways, nothing you can do about that Nazis,i guess.

BANNED

Hell yeah! You smash that klan, Superman!

I feel like I never root for Superman the way I root for Superman when he's fighting racist d-bags. It's one of my greatest joys in life.
    Co-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    As a hindu it pisses me of when such jackasses use swastika for their nonesense.Anways, nothing you can do about that Nazis,i guess.
    You know, I never even knew that symbol was anything other than nazi BS until Morrison mentioned it in an issue of JLA? I was a damn teenager and no one had ever told me that the nazi stole it for their own purposes. I feel like that needs to be brought up more in schools.

Now we've got these white supremacist morons doing the same thing with norse mythology, and I'm just waiting for someone to say something about my Mjlonir necklace.

~ Black Panther.