Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Giant-Size X-Statix #1 Recap/Review SPOILERS

What's this? No Giant Size X-Statix Spoilers/Review thread? Time to fix this!

Issue starts with Katie, the "sister" of U-Go Girl talking about what she wants to do in life and how she's obsessed with X-Statix. One night she's teleported to a cemetery by Dead Girl and Doop, and she meets the spirit of U-Go Girl who tell her the truth: Katie is Edie's daughter. Suffice to say that Katie don't take the news really well and she start screaming at Edie's spirit until it vanished, she then decides to resume her life but since she's the daughter of Edie Sawyer, she carries the X-Gene and not long after she develops the same powers as her mother.

Elsewhere Dead Girl and Doop decides to reform X-Statix, they find Guy Smith a.k.a Mister Sensitive who came back from the dead previously and who is now the unseen force behind the "Mister Sensitive skin products", and Myles Alfred a.k.a Vivisector who survived X-Statix last mission and who is now living a peaceful life as a writer with his boyfriend. Dead Girl tells them that they need to put the band back together in order to stop a new team that Dead Girl calls "a perversion of everything X-Statix stood for" (I laughed at that one lol).

Back to Katie who is trying to adapt to her new "condition" and who is trying to control her powers until she decides to reveal the truth to her boyfriend. Unknown to Katie, her boyfriend was forced to help a bunch of villains find her, and despite the intervention of Dead Girl Katie is kidnapped and brought to their HQ.

Back to Guy Smith who is still crying about the death of U-Go Girl until Doop (who is now using a smartphone as a camera ) convinces him to join the team again, Myles has some doubts too until his boyfriend also convinces him to join X-Statix again! Now that Guy and Myles are back in the team, it's time to recruit some new blood:

- Mike: The son of Tike Alicar who possess the same powers as his father
    - Phatty: The daughter of Phat, she was born after Doop stole some of Phat's genetic material while he was sleeping. She has the same powerset as Phat.

But they're still missing a teleporter which bring us back to Katie who is now a prisoner somewhere in a house in Death Valley where she finally meets the leader of her kidnappers: Zeitgeist! Yes, he's alive (but he looks like **** as Katie noted) thanks to Doop and after a big surgery, he's creating a new team in order to fight a culture war and he needs a teleporter hence why he kidnapped her. He reveals that he also found Venus Dee Milo, and was able to slowly reassemble her atoms but the process will take too much time (15 years) and he needs a teleporter right now but Katie refuses to help and as a result he starts torturing her.

But Dead Girl and the X-Statix team finally arrives and faces Zeitgeist while telling their viewers to subscribe to X-Statix TV obviously. X-Statix is overwhelmed by Zeitgeist's team and about to get killed but Katie is able to teleport the team out of Zeitgeist's HQ and saves their lives. Despite this act, Katie still doesn't want anything to do with X-Statix and just want to live a normal life until she sees her popularity rising on Youtube, all the requests of interviews and after the thrill she felt when she saved the team she starts to understand why her mother loved this lifestyle so much.

X-Statix is back!!!!!

Damn that was fun and just like the first time I read the original X-Force/X-Statix series it felt like a breath of fresh air! Milligan still got it, it's a classic setup issue but the pacing, the dialogues, the jokes and the characterization are top notch and both the art and the colors by Mike and Laura Allred are just oustanding, even better than in the original series.

It's only a one shot, but it gives me a lot of hope about what's to come! So yeah highly recommended both for the fans of the original series but also for new readers who want to read something different!

I hope that it was as good as you expected (or even better). I will try to start Milligan's X-Force this weekend before i start in my new job.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This was great, with Milligan and Allred in top form, funny, engaging but very character driven, same as X-Statix was really. I'm ready for the X-Cellent now!

aw i thought they brought Anarchist back in the Dead Girl mini. well i’ll miss his...erm...character

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I hope that it was as good as you expected (or even better). I will try to start Milligan's X-Force this weekend before i start in my new job.
    Even better than expected! I hope you will enjoy this series, one of the best X-Men spinoff ever!!!!! That's a great news, good luck with the new job

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    This was great, with Milligan and Allred in top form, funny, engaging but very character driven, same as X-Statix was really. I'm ready for the X-Cellent now!
    So true, X-Cellent is going to be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    aw i thought they brought Anarchist back in the Dead Girl mini. well i’ll miss his...erm...character

Lmao, well at least there is a butt joke in this one shot too!
    Last edited by Hush; 07-10-2019 at 02:34 PM.

So, did Micky survive? Seemed ambigious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Even better than expected! I hope you will enjoy this series, one of the best X-Men spinoff ever!!!!! That's a great news, good luck with the new job

So true, X-Cellent is going to be amazing!

Lmao, well at least there is a butt joke in this one shot too!
    Thanks!
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    So, did Micky survive? Seemed ambigious.
    Not sure if he's still alive, he was in bad shape after Uno's attack.
    Last edited by Hush; 07-10-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

This caught me by surprise. Thought it wasn't coming out until August. But I managed to snag one of the last copies at the shop. Going to give it a few more re-reads, but it feels like X-Statix. After all these years, that in itself is an achievement. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for when THE X-CELLENT launches, it's nice knowing that this One-Shot is leading to something.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Fantastic Member

Well this is the first X-Statix anything that I've read, and I'm in. Also, congrats to Mike Allred for being an artist who reached superstardom in the 90s and still has amazing art. Seems to be a rare thing these days.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    Well this is the first X-Statix anything that I've read, and I'm in. Also, congrats to Mike Allred for being an artist who reached superstardom in the 90s and still has amazing art. Seems to be a rare thing these days.
    Allred is one of the few artists in comics who could have every panel be framed on a wall, but still have them all come together for a coherent read on the page.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Not sure if he's still alive, he was in bad shape after Uno's attack.

That’s what I assumed anyway. But I think Kate would have at least been a little sad after the fact but yeah I think he’s gone forever.

It's safe to say that when I took this handle years ago based on some silly random villain who projectile puked acid and only ever appeared in a handful of issues of one of my favourite comics, that I never expected to see them be leading a book in 2020.
    (or to see them in a Deadpool - or any - movie, at that)
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    It's safe to say that when I took this handle years ago based on some silly random villain who projectile puked acid and only ever appeared in a handful of issues of one of my favourite comics, that I never expected to see them be leading a book in 2020.
    (or to see them in a Deadpool - or any - movie, at that)
    Congrats, king!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Let me ask this: What does X-Static have to do with the X-Men? I know they have used the title X-Force, but that is about all the connection they have with the X-Men, correct.

I have always wondered why it is considered an X-book, while non of the (former) X-Men were ever a member.