Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Let me ask this: What does X-Static have to do with the X-Men? I know they have used the title X-Force, but that is about all the connection they have with the X-Men, correct.

I have always wondered why it is considered an X-book, while non of the (former) X-Men were ever a member.
    I think it's considered an "X-Book" because the original team was named "X-Force" and because almost all the members of the team are mutants

In story, some members of the team have some ties with the X-Men such as Doop with Wolverine (they've known each other for a long time) or Mr. Sensitive & Venus Dee Milo with the Professor Xavier (Guy and Dee met Xavier a long time ago and he helped them control their powers, he also created several suits for both of them for several "purposes"). Wolverine also helped the team during the original series and the original X-Force team led by Cannonball also fought against them because of the "X-Force" name.

So it's minimal but they still have some ties with the X-Men

Who were the main team members of X-Static?

Mighty Member

Who were the main team members of X-Static?
    You can find a list with links to individual profiles here:

https://uncannyxmen.net/glossary/groups/x-statix

Note: the X-Statix started out as a new X-Force team. Most of that team's members were killed off in their first appearance. You can find a list of them here:

https://uncannyxmen.net/glossary/groups/x-force-ii

For those who haven't read the original series, please do yourself a favor and check it out (starts as X-Force however). While I was going through my "re-read all X-Books" on Marvel Unlimited this was one of my favorite shining moments. Still reads so modern and covers topics that could have been right at home today. I honestly was shocked it took me so long to read it and how well it stood up. It's no wonder they brought this book back. I'd LOVE to see them treat this team like the GOTG style comedy team for the MCU X-films or at least given them a tv series.

Here's hoping the book outsells the Age of XMan garbage that's been pushed out lately. People are dying for a FUN X-book again.

I'm surprise with the number of people that don't know nothing about X-Statix.

Maybe it's a signal that we have new readers and the X-men fan-base is still growing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post

Maybe it's a signal that we have new readers and the X-men fan-base is still growing.
    Milligan's satirical style isn't to everyone's taste.

I bought the first few issues back in the day and found all the characters except Guy to be unsympathetic and unlikable. So, I dropped the book.

Allred has his own fanbase, and I suspect a lot of the audience for X-Statix came with him.

I am no new reader, I follow the X-men for decades. I just never cared of X-Force II, or as the called X-Static later.

When some appeared for a short cameo in X-men comics a while back (I believe we saw Dead Girl and U-Go Girl guest star) I started to get interested and now with the one-shot and the upcoming seies, I want to know more about them, hence me previous questions.

Now diving into this, it seems the core members were:
    - Anarchist
    - Dead-Girl
    - Doop
    - Orphan (aka Mister sensitive)
    - Phat
    - U-Go_girl
    - Vivisector
    - Zeitgeist

Is this correct?

Well the X-Statix roster shifted around a lot. It did become more stable but that was already after the OG U-Go-Girl died and Venus Dee Milo replaced her. Zeitgeist died in the first issue of the X-Force run.

revive sk8er boi
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

It’s a niche book and in mainstream outlets like Cracked it’s been used as proof that modern comics are trash.

Astonishing Member

Let me ask this: What does X-Static have to do with the X-Men? I know they have used the title X-Force, but that is about all the connection they have with the X-Men, correct.

I have always wondered why it is considered an X-book, while non of the (former) X-Men were ever a member.
    it's an x-book because the characters were mutant and the book was creater as a complete reset of X-Force, a shocking temporary joke one. All the X-Force fans bought an issue in which all the characters seemed to have died in an explosion, and the next issue had these guys instead of Boom Boom or Cannonball and the others.

And the book happened at the same time of Morrison's New Xmen and District X, it was a period in which there were millions of mutants, mutant neighbourhoods in big cities similar to China towns, and mutant culture becoming mainstream for humans. X-Force/X-Statix was a reality television superhero team that cared about their celebrity status and getting high ratings, and the members died a lot getting replaced with new ones.
    Wolverine was in one issue and it was established he and Doop have known each other for many years
    And they had cameos in other books. I remember Dead Girl in a Spiderman book, and Graviton paralyzing all superhero teams of the world, including X-Statix

This seems to me out of main continuity because 17 years have passed since the early 2000s, allowing the daughter of U Go Girl to age into adulthood, like they are in their own universe now

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    It’s a niche book and in mainstream outlets like Cracked it’s been used as proof that modern comics are trash.
    Marvel has never marketed it properly. It's typically advertised as a fun, campy X-Men spinoff when it's really a standalone satire. To put it another way, the joke isn't obvious enough for muggle readers. So, they approach it with the wrong expectations. They come at it expecting a light-hearted X-Men book, but what they find instead is subversive, absurdist pastiche.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Congrats, king!
    Zeitgeist 2024! (missing the next election because I need to get the 3 year cocaine bender out of my system first)

In universe: basically, Doop. He's the only real connective tissue between X-Statix and the general X-Men. Doop was shown to be friends with Wolverine during a guest stint, which lead Doop to even be a part of the Jean Grey School during Wolverine and the X-Men. Though Mister Sensitive did have his suit designed by a pervy Professor X.

Now diving into this, it seems the core members were:
    - Anarchist
    - Dead-Girl
    - Doop
    - Orphan (aka Mister sensitive)
    - Phat
    - U-Go_girl
    - Vivisector
    - Zeitgeist

Is this correct?
    Mostly, though Zeitgeist wasn't a core member. He was a member of the 'original' relaunched X-Force (before they became X-Statix) but was killed off with the majority of the team, retroactively revealed to have been somewhat villainous post-mortem. The only surviving members were Doop, Anarchist and Edie/U-Go Girl, who continued as members of the main comic roster which consisted of the characters you just mentioned, with a few changes through-out the run - Mainly Edie being replaced by Venus Dee Milo.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-12-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

I found this to be a very enjoyable read. Fit in well with the first series of X-Force/X-Statix. The satire from the original series felt like it was there to me. The original series still feels relevant today, and this book could have felt like a direct continuation of the old series in a good way, not in a purely nostalgic way.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of resentment from the X-Men fan base towards the original comic. Many original X-Force readers were upset that the X-Force/X-Statix characters had stolen the team name from the original team. It probably didn't help that the original X-Force ended on a cliffhanger that suggested that many of the original X-Force members were dead. It's been a long time since I read any online fan response to the series though, and I didn't pay much attention to the views of online fandom when I was younger. So I could be wrong about this.

I also believe that many readers were unhappy with the art style. It wasn't some thing that many readers considered to be X-Men style art.
    Last edited by Thievery; 07-13-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Allred is one of the few artists in comics who could have every panel be framed on a wall, but still have them all come together for a coherent read on the page.
    So true, Allred is such a fantastic artist and storyteller! His recent work on Silver Surfer is just mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    That’s what I assumed anyway. But I think Kate would have at least been a little sad after the fact but yeah I think he’s gone forever.
    Well, I guess Katie figured out that Micky isn't a keeper after all