Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Golden Age Merry, Girl of 1000 Gimmicks (Merry Pemberton) Appreciation (2019)

Also referred to as the "Gimmick Girl", Merry was first introduced in the "Star-Spangled Kid" (and Stripesy) feature in Star Spangled Comics #81 (June 1948).

A lot happens in that seven-page story. Sylvester Pemberton's parents adopt Merry so Sylvester will have a sibling who's closer to him in age, and Merry discovers Sylvester's secret identity!

In issue #82's story, she designs a costume for herself so she, too, can capture crooks!

Merry continues to have adventures with Sylvester and Pat and even takes over the feature from them, but it doesn't last long: issue #90 was her last story.

Many years later, Roy Thomas would use Merry Pemberton as the mother of Brainwave Jr. in the Infinity Inc. series.

Astonishing Member

She has a good look.

I like the idea of a "toy" themed heroine.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    She has a good look.

I like the idea of a "toy" themed heroine.
    Not so much "toy" themed as much as it is gags and gimmicks (sort of like Green Arrow with all his goofy gimmick arrows from back in the old pre-facial hair days).

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Merry, Girl of 1000 Gimmicks & Squirrel Girl

Funny seeing Squirrel Girl lauded as the fun quirky, adorkable, "new" female character type, that comics and fans have been waiting for...
    Yet DC already had the template over 70 years ago, just nobody at DC or the fans seems to know it.
    Anyway, they'd make a fun DC/Marvel team-up
    LOL had just posted this^, and- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4448465
    as I did was thinking she needs an Appreciation thread, I'm surprised we hadn't seen it, how long till MajorHoy (who covers everything), starts one for her too!?
    And a day later it appears! Yay!
    (*few edits to her costume mine)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    [

Merry: "Ha, Presto outwitted you again, you should've had me along."

I love how cocky she is from the go!
    Great character, used right she should have been DC's Squirrel Girl type ages ago, (who by the way has exploded in the Marvel U) sadly DC as usual completley oblivious unaware of what they have, neglected her.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-11-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    . . . Great character, used right she should have been DC's Squirrel Girl type ages ago, (who by the way has exploded in the Marvel U) sadly DC as usual completley oblivious unaware of what they have, neglected her.
    Slightly different audience 60-70 years ago . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Slightly different audience 60-70 years ago . . .
    ?

Yeah, and other characters were created that long ago too.
    My point about DC not knowing what they have, and neglecting her, is that they haven't kept her in the public eye.
    Yet she easily updates for a modern audience.
    This fun quirky (somewhat goofball and gimmicky), adorkable, female character type is being lauded as "new" at Marvel, in their comics, cartoon, and merchandise, Yet DC already had a character in that mold, and has completley neglected her.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-11-2019 at 10:07 AM.