Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i suppose this explains thor ragnarok too
    troo fan or death

The differences are primarily to avoid redoing what the previous five movies did. Hence why:

Cindy Moon exists - albeit without her powers (I wonder why they did this if they don't intend to make her Silk?).
    MJ is black and what the initials stand for was changed.
    Ganke was taken from the Miles Morales comics and renamed Ned Leeds - in Far From Home he actually gets one of Ned's comic storylines, so he's a composite character.
    Betty Brant is also a composite character - she looks like Gwen Stacy.
    Aaron Davis was used, another character from Miles's comics.
    Aunt May was made younger (young enough to flirt with Happy Hogan!).
    Flash Thompson was race-lifted and made an intellectual instead of a jock.
    Most of Peter's tech is sourced from Tony Stark, instead of being self-created (though now that Tony's dead, he'll need to learn to make his own).

Ragnarok's deviations from the comics are due to the change of focus character - since it's based on Planet Hulk. Valkyrie wasn't in the original story, and I'd imagine her being black is simply a case of Ability Over Appearance.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-12-2019 at 03:22 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

yeah, wasn’t being serious about ragnarok
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The differences are primarily to avoid redoing what the previous five movies did. Hence why:

Cindy Moon exists - albeit without her powers (I wonder why they did this if they don't intend to make her Silk?).
    MJ is black and what the initials stand for was changed.
    Ganke was taken from the Miles Morales comics and renamed Ned Leeds - in Far From Home he actually gets one of Ned's comic storylines, so he's a composite character.
    Betty Brant is also a composite character - she looks like Gwen Stacy.
    Aaron Davis was used, another character from Miles's comics.
    Aunt May was made younger (young enough to flirt with Happy Hogan!).
    Flash Thompson was race-lifted and made an intellectual instead of a jock.
    Most of Peter's tech is sourced from Tony Stark, instead of being self-created (though now that Tony's dead, he'll need to learn to make his own).

Ragnarok's deviations from the comics are due to the change of focus character - since it's based on Planet Hulk. Valkyrie wasn't in the original story, and I'd imagine her being black is simply a case of Ability Over Appearance.
    I think much of this also comes down to multiple factors.

Changes in the races of the characters may come down to race-blind casting, as well as filling out the cast. MJ might have been Latina if Zendaya had signed up for another series of films. Betty might be blond because someone had the best audition for a small role.

Flash might be race-lifted because the lead of a great movie (The Grand Budapest Hotel) was available the role. He's more of an intellectual because that works in the 21st Century.

Ned might be Asian because they were going for a diverse cast, and the love interests were African-American while the rival was Hispanic. Or maybe the guy gave the best audition for the dorky best friend role.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Changes in the races of the characters may come down to race-blind casting, as well as filling out the cast. MJ might have been Latina if Zendaya had signed up for another series of films. Betty might be blond because someone had the best audition for a small role.

Flash might be race-lifted because the lead of a great movie (The Grand Budapest Hotel) was available the role. He's more of an intellectual because that works in the 21st Century.

Ned might be Asian because they were going for a diverse cast, and the love interests were African-American while the rival was Hispanic. Or maybe the guy gave the best audition for the dorky best friend role.
    exactly this. there’s several possible motivations and any could be the case
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    My guess with that one is that they were planning to potentially introduce Silk eventually, probably at Sony's request, but Sony eventually decided to move forward with a solo movie set in their own universe so they eventually dropped her in the MCU.

It needs to be pointed out that Midnight's Edge is not a reliable source. Guy just pics stuff here and there regardless of sources (like youtube comments...), takes quotes out of context, and just gives his (very biased) speculation based on that info.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 07-12-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Mighty Member

Zendaya is biracial.
    Her father is African American and her mother is European American.
    Most African Americans have European admixture, and estimated 1/3 of African American men have European Y DNA haplogroups.
    African Americans have great color variation

furthermore, Latinos greatly vary in their mixture
    they are mixed European,African,and/or Amerindian ancestry
    their skin colors greatly vary

A lot of Latinos have Zendaya's skin color
    a lot of them are lighter than her
    a lot of them are darker than her

many have similar amount of African ancestry as her
    many have more African ancestry than her
    many have less African ancestry than her

I am mixed too, and my mixture includes 1/16 Puerto Rican
    My Puerto Rican maternal 2nd Great Grandfather was multiracial like the average Puerto Rican
    All my Puerto Rican DNA relative matches are a mixture of European,African,and Amerindian.
    My father was an African American born and raised in Louisiana, and he was part English and Acadian (French in Nova Scotia.

Auburn hair would have looked good and natural on Zendaya
    I have a step grandmother, maternal aunt and maternal first cousin that have auburn as their natural hair color
    my maternal step grandmother and her daughter are dark as Zendaya
    my maternal half aunt's daughter is even darker
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-12-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Afaik Disney literally said "Homecomings cast is so ethnically diverse because its new york which is ethnically diverse"

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Afaik Disney literally said "Homecomings cast is so ethnically diverse because its new york which is ethnically diverse"
    I don't get this, to be honest. Here in the basement, it's just myself and this mannequin.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

To be fair, they also did that in the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series for that exact same reason. HOWEVER, in that cartoon they didn't really alter the personalities of the characters they changed the races of. I mean look at Ned...

I don't care. I just enjoy the films. Hopefully Marvel Studios can still influence the "spider-man" based films, with the ancillary characters still Sony's prerogative-- but hopefully created with a mind to be generally faithful to the base concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    To be fair, they also did that in the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series for that exact same reason. HOWEVER, in that cartoon they didn't really alter the personalities of the characters they changed the races of. I mean look at Ned...
    An excellent point.

PS Spectacular Spider-Man animated series rules. Even a decade later I often watch the episodes on DVD. What a masterpiece of storytelling and character development. IMO, the last truly great animated Spider-Man series.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I don't get this, to be honest. Here in the basement, it's just myself and this mannequin.
    pssst...you’re the mannequin
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The YouTube channel seems more legit than others. This is more than your usual clickbait fan stuff. Not everyone on YouTube is a hack but not being a hack doesn't mean you are by default right, either.
    Midnight's Edge is not a legitimate information source. It's basically a fan gossip column where some known facts are spun into elaborate conspiracy theories that they present as being highly accurate, if not the unvarnished truth. Try watching their Star Trek videos sometime and see how many pretzels they twist themselves into in order to "prove" that Discovery is a failure because it's not like the previous installments.

Heck, the whole "the characters needed to be reimagined for licensing issues" is just them recycling that asinine "alternative Star Trek license" crap they're trying to convince people of (the whole, Paramount and co. are trying to get people to forget about the franchise and only be invested in Discovery and the other new shows coming up.

It seems to be one guy's speculation about the implications of a legal deal he's not fully privy to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    It needs to be pointed out that Midnight's Edge is not a reliable source. Guy just pics stuff here and there regardless of sources (like youtube comments...), takes quotes out of context, and just gives his (very biased) speculation based on that info.
    Exactly, thank you.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Midnight's Edge is not a legitimate information source. It's basically a fan gossip column where some known facts are spun into elaborate conspiracy theories that they present as being highly accurate, if not the unvarnished truth. Try watching their Star Trek videos sometime and see how many pretzels they twist themselves into in order to "prove" that Discovery is a failure because it's not like the previous installments.
    yeah, i've watched a little more of this ridiculously named channel and the amount of weasel words per video keeps growing. gross
    troo fan or death