Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why MCU Spider-Man characters are so inaccurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzjsEsdmYNk

Interesting video with lots of information on Sony/Marvel deal. But skipping to to 10:43, basically:

With Movies, Sony is licensed Spider-Man characters. For the deal between Marvel and Sony for MCU, for characters put in MCU movies, Marvel gets a stake in and when deal ends those characters will be disputed/frozen from use.

For example, if they had a faithful comic book Mary Jane, Harry, or Venom in MCU, their ownership wout be disputed and the characters frozen from use as long as Sony is licensed characters from Marvel. So the trick around this for Sony is to for the MCU movies create new characters with traits of originals. This is why all Spider-Man characters in MCU movies differ from their original version so that when deal ends, Sony is allowed to use the comic faithful versions in their films because it's not the "same" character.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 07-10-2019 at 06:50 PM.

thats interesting i guess. Although I am quite fond of the mcu cast greatly so I like the change
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. May Parker is still an adaptation of May Parker even if they did take liberties with the character's age. I don't see how there could be any distinction legally. Also, how does this explain spoilers:
    Jameson's appearance?
    end of spoilers

Yeah I see what you mean. Maybe its somewhat true but deals for specific characters behind the scenes are made so they can be used and not all of them are agreed upon?

BANNED

I don't know if this is the whole and complete truth because it's not like Sony in the Raimi and ASM movies made 100% totally faithful versions of those characters then either.

I think there was a mix of corporate and creative ideas. On the whole I do think that the Sony-MCU Deal being done hastily means that the MCU Spider-Man movies are done with a lot more rush and less thought than others.

good old youtube
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Yeah I see what you mean. Maybe its somewhat true but deals for specific characters behind the scenes are made so they can be used and not all of them are agreed upon?
    It seems to be one guy's speculation about the implications of a legal deal he's not fully privy to.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Default To anyone who is curious about how the current Spider-Man film rights work...

Take a look at this video from Midnight’s Edge YouTube and see what is going on with the Spider-Man films...https://youtu.be/CzjsEsdmYNk

I don't care. I just enjoy the films. Hopefully Marvel Studios can still influence the "spider-man" based films, with the ancillary characters still Sony's prerogative-- but hopefully created with a mind to be generally faithful to the base concept.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default A Wakandan Kraven?

Rumor is that Kraven will be the villain for the third MCU Spidey movie and he will be from an exiled Wakandan tribe

I love the idea personally. Sounds inspired to me.

god if he has like wakanda style lion eye/nipple lasers i'm gonna yelp like a dog in the cinema
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

It will take some getting used to.

I like it. Maybe we could see a cameo by Black Panther in there.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

A Wakandan Kraven can maybe tap into the whole exiled aristocrat in the new world who dislikes the changes back home.

In the case of Kraven the Hunter, he was a Russian aristocrat whose family was exiled by the Bolsheviks. Which worked in 1987, just a few years before the cold war ended. It doesn't make sense now since Kraven is more or less the embodiment of Putin's wet dream what with Putin's photo-ops showing him shirtless and hunting lions and whatnot.

So having him be Wakandan would be interesting. Kraven in the comics takes some herbs and so on, and that's similar to what Coogler showed with the Heart Shaped herb and so on. A Wakandan Kraven could also have him team up with Arcade and so on and put a dome over Central Park since KLH is not a story you can do with Tom Holland's Spidey but you can do Hunted in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Rumor is that Kraven will be the villain for the third MCU Spidey movie and he will be from an exiled Wakandan tribe

I love the idea personally. Sounds inspired to me.

Will probably ammount to nothing, but I am all for it if it's true.