Spectacular Member

Question Has the main timeline Superman ever killed anyome?

Hi guys

Has the main continuity Superman ever killed anyone?

I know Batman did do some nasty stuff before it was revealed that he sore not to use guns, but I'm wondering if the man of steel ever did anything nasty.

Again, I'm only asking about Superman from the main continuity and not any other timeline or alternative dimension, or anything like that.

Pretty sure he killed Zod in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    Hi guys

Has the main continuity Superman ever killed anyone?

I know Batman did do some nasty stuff before it was revealed that he sore not to use guns, but I'm wondering if the man of steel ever did anything nasty.

Again, I'm only asking about Superman from the main continuity and not any other timeline or alternative dimension, or anything like that.
    The Post-Crisis Superman killed 3 Pocket Dimension Phantom Zone criminals in the late 80's. His guilt drove him so crazy that he developed a split personality.

He also "killed" Doomsday, but a) he died in the process, and b) both of them got better.

You could argue that he also sang Darkseid to death.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I was going to say no, but after both Supermen merged I don't know anymore!
    I doubt anyone in the offices at DC know either.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I was going to say no, but after both Supermen merged I don't know anymore!
    I doubt anyone in the offices at DC know either.
    Although I remain at arm's length from the current goings on with Superman, I think DC is remaining pretty firm on the whole "(Mainline) Superman Doesn't Kill" stance, if for no other reason than to make the Injustice comics more shocking. A Superman That Kills should always be transgressive.

Yeah, he's killed people. He killed two General Zods, two additional Kryptonian criminals, Doomsday multiple times, tried to kill Henshaw at least once, and killed Imperiex in Our Worlds At War and Darkseid in Final Crisis. Among probably several others; those are just big names. He's long since had a relatively nuanced relationship with lethal force, which basically boils down to "avoid lethal force if possible, accept that it is, on rare occasion, necessary."

I mean, this isn't new. This is from the mid 90s when he learned to deal with his initial breakdown over killing his first Zod Squad. First he tried to say he'd never kill again. Then came Doomsday and Henshaw in quick succession, and with a few weirdo exceptions here and there, Superman has pretty consistently been someone who avoids killing because he doesn't need to kill to make his point, rather than someone who Never Would under Any Circumstances, which was always crap. I mean Superboy killed Lex's protoplasm and Bizarro in the Silver Age. The post-Crisis development is just more honest and rigorous about his willingness to kill and the rare circumstances that'd merit it.

In general I like pre-Crisis better, but I feel really strongly about this detail.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post

Pretty sure he killed Zod in this issue.
    Yep this was the first time he killed Post-Crisis but he’s killed since then as well.