Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some help please...

Hey guys - reaching out to the Marvel heads here.

My kid is ten years old. We've been watching the MCU movies and The Incredible Hulk TV show from the 70s together. She really seems to take an interest in the characters.

As you can probably tell by my user name and avatar I don't really have a Marvel Comics collection to speak of but I'm thinking of buying some for her.

First thing I want to get her is Secret Wars (I might read it myself after! )

Anyone got any other suggestions?
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

A Marvel Unlimited subscription.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    A Marvel Unlimited subscription.
    This absolutely, you can read everything!

But, if you want particular titles I would recommend Bendis' New Avengers run, however, keep in mind that the title is geared more for teenagers so I would skim through it and decide if it is suitable for your ten year old. Bendis' run is the quippy Avengers that everyone is now familiar with.

You can also read Ms. Marvel by Wilson, Thor by Aaron (especially when Jane is introduced), Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis would be perfect for a 10 year old and you, and you can check out Hickman's Fantastic Four for cosmic adventures.

What's Marvel Unlimited?
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    What's Marvel Unlimited?
    A $10 a month or $70 a year digital subscription service where you get access to over 20,000 comics from your desktop/laptop browser or the phone/tablet app, with more added every week from both Marvel's back catalogue and their current series 6 months after new issues hit stores.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

What's Marvel Unlimited?
    It‘s an app which allows you to access a large amount of Marvel titles.
    Really great and well worth the roughly $80.

My kid is ten years old. We've been watching the MCU movies and The Incredible Hulk TV show from the 70s together. She really seems to take an interest in the characters.

As you can probably tell by my user name and avatar I don't really have a Marvel Comics collection to speak of but I'm thinking of buying some for her.

Here are the Marvel Suggestion I usually give (since it's for a kid, I'll ignore some stories/titles):

Origin Stories
    • Hulk: Grey
    • Spider-Man: Blue
    • Daredevil: Yellow
    • Captain America: White
    • X-Men: First Class

Compilation books - great early stories to start with
    • Hulk: Transformations
    • The Very Best of Spider-Man
    • Spider-Man: Wizard Masterpiece Edition
    • Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
    • X-Men: Wizard Masterpiece Edition

Excellent TPB - Great stories that can be read on their own
    • Hulk: The End/Future Imperfect
    • Planet Hulk
    • Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys
    • Spider-Verse
    • Captain America: Man Out of Time
    • Captain America: Tomorrow You Live, Tonight I Die
    • X-Men: God loves, Man Kills
    • X-Men: Old Man Logan - the story by Mark Miller in the X-Men title

Big Omnibus - good big stories
    • World War Hulk
    • Spider-Man: Brand New Day vol.1-3
    • Spider-Man: Big Time vol.1-4
    • Winter Soldier By Brubaker

Events
    • Avengers vs. Thanos + Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos + Infinity Gauntlet + Infinity War + Infinity Crusade 1&2 + Infinity Abyss
    • Civil War - only the 7 issue event by Mark Millar

Have fun with all that to begin with.
    Last edited by jb681131; 07-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Go for the Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection Vol 1, and Runaways: The Complete Collection Volume 1. I've been introducing some young cousins of mine that are around your daughter's age to comics with those, and it's been working really well.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    [*]X-Men: Old Man Logan - the story by Mark Miller in the X-Men title
    It was in the Wolverine solo book actually. And is that really suitable for a 10 year old? That title has a mature content warning, doesn't it?

I'd recommend anything connected with the Champions team. That's Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Unstoppable Wasp, Ironheart, Nova (the ones starring Sam Alexander - the late 2000s Richard Rider Nova book was heavily tied to Guardians of the Galaxy continuity), Totally Awesome Hulk, and of course Champions itself. You could also try Spider-Gwen, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and the upcoming Future Foundation book.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-11-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Glad to hear a young person is interested in reading comics!

Your daughter may like some female leads like Scarlet Witch, The Wasp, Captain Marvel (Marvel heroine), Jane Foster Thor and Jean Grey.

Mighty Member

Just pick creative teams you like, and start there.

"Secret Wars" is good. But, while I am not a parent, I could see a parent having a problem with their kid reading parts of Hickman's run on "Avengers" and "New Avengers" (which set up for "Secret Wars"). They are very well written. But, if your daughter wants to read them, you might want to read through them first.

The "Secret Wars" tie-ins are a good place to start. There is a good variety of content and style. Most of it is in that PG range that you could give to a 10 year old.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Here are the Marvel Suggestion I usually give (since it's for a kid, I'll ignore some stories/titles):

Origin Stories
    • Hulk: Grey
    • Spider-Man: Blue
    • Daredevil: Yellow
    • Captain America: White
    • X-Men: First Class

Compilation books - great early stories to start with
    • Hulk: Transformations
    • The Very Best of Spider-Man
    • Spider-Man: Wizard Masterpiece Edition
    • Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
    • X-Men: Wizard Masterpiece Edition

Excellent TPB - Great stories that can be read on their own
    • Hulk: The End/Future Imperfect
    • Planet Hulk
    • Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys
    • Spider-Verse
    • Captain America: Man Out of Time
    • Captain America: Tomorrow You Live, Tonight I Die
    • X-Men: God loves, Man Kills
    • X-Men: Old Man Logan - the story by Mark Miller in the X-Men title

Big Omnibus - good big stories
    • World War Hulk
    • Spider-Man: Brand New Day vol.1-3
    • Spider-Man: Big Time vol.1-4
    • Winter Soldier By Brubaker

Events
    • Avengers vs. Thanos + Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos + Infinity Gauntlet + Infinity War + Infinity Crusade 1&2 + Infinity Abyss
    • Civil War - only the 7 issue event by Mark Millar

Have fun with all that to begin with.
    Yeah I'll stick all those on the list (some are on it already) Cheers mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Glad to hear a young person is interested in reading comics!

Your daughter may like some female leads like Scarlet Witch, The Wasp, Captain Marvel (Marvel heroine), Jane Foster Thor and Jean Grey.
    Thanks mate! Yeah. I have a huge comic collection but it's pretty much all DC. I never grew up as a Marvel reader - although I used to love the Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk Saturday morning cartoons. And I ADORE the late 70's/early 80s Hulk TV show. Grew up with that. My daughter and I are watching it all now as it happens. We're coming to the end of season 3.

My kid has read a few of my DC books and she does like that universe - but she just seems to respond better to Marvel. We watch all the MCU movies together and we never miss a new one.

I want her to READ more you see. I don't care if it's a comic or a book, I just want her to actually READ something. You know? So I figure if I get her some Marvel stuff she'll actually want to read it. When she finishes one I'll buy her another one. She can pick herself what she wants from there.

Btw to all the lovely people who suggested that Marvel subscription thing - no dice. Thanks anyway but that's a bit hard to get hold of in my neck of the woods. But I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Go for the Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection Vol 1, and Runaways: The Complete Collection Volume 1. I've been introducing some young cousins of mine that are around your daughter's age to comics with those, and it's been working really well.
    Thanks buddy! The Spider-Man one was already on my list but I've added that Runaways one too!
    Last edited by DCStu; 07-12-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Mighty Member

I want her to READ more you see. I don't care if it's a comic or a book, I just want her to actually READ something. You know?
    Thank you for that.

When I was a kid, my parents just left stuff around. I skipped a few age-appropriate things, but was generally at or above my age-level. (You may already be doing something like that. But, take it for what it is.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Thank you for that.

When I was a kid, my parents just left stuff around. I skipped a few age-appropriate things, but was generally at or above my age-level. (You may already be doing something like that. But, take it for what it is.)
    I think all kids SHOULD read comics, and I encourage my own kids to read them as much as I possibly can. They can have anything out of my DC collection any time they want. And if they want to read some Marvel, all they gotta do is ask and I'll get it for them.

Comics are about heroes who help those less fortunate. Comics sometimes have big words in them that kids might make kids reach for a dictionary. Comics inspire kids to pick up a pencil and a bit of paper and draw.

And none of those things are the worst thing in the world are they?
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Mighty Member

Not at all. But, not many people keep print (comics or otherwise) around the house at all.

Many people want their kids to read. But, actually having the reading material on hand is more than they are willing to do.