Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Just announced Black Label book by Jeff Lemire:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzyH9oLF...d=a762jkex6a28

Jeff Lemire is writing, Denys Cowan on pencils.

I find myself beyond excited for this. Lemire says The 80s Question run was a huge influence on his Green Arrow, which was great.

He's also doing a Joker black label book with Andrea Sorrentino, but I thought this deserved it's own thread.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Astonishing Member

Wow they get Sorrentino back and not for a Green Arrow title. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Wow they get Sorrentino back and not for a Green Arrow title. I just don't get it.
    Maybe he didn't want to work on Green Arrow again?

Haven't they changed the character since Sorrentino last was on that book five years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Just announced Black Label book by Jeff Lemire:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzyH9oLF...d=a762jkex6a28

Jeff Lemire is writing, Denys Cowan on pencils.
    Lemire is basically an instant buy, but Lemire on The Question is a "Wait outside the comic shop for them to open and get it" buy.

He's also doing a Joker black label book with Andrea Sorrentino, but I thought this deserved it's own thread.
    Oh, boy! Yet another Black Label book with Batman and/or Joker! That makes 7 now (not including White Knight that was made Black Label after the fact). That's about 64% of the entire Black Label line.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Mighty Member

Interview with Jeff Lemire

He talks about both Joker and The Question here and the article describes the premise of both projects.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe he didn't want to work on Green Arrow again?

Haven't they changed the character since Sorrentino last was on that book five years ago?

To be fair, Black Label seems to generally be out of continuity, so if Lemire and Sorrentino wanted to, they could probably just pick up Ollie from where they left off, which, frankly, I wouldn't say no too.

That said, they might not have an interest in doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Lemire is basically an instant buy, but Lemire on The Question is a "Wait outside the comic shop for them to open and get it" buy.
    Oh, definitely. Apparently, this is a dream project for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Oh, boy! Yet another Black Label book with Batman and/or Joker! That makes 7 now (not including White Knight that was made Black Label after the fact). That's about 64% of the entire Black Label line.
    I totally understand the fatigue. That said Lemire's take sounds somewhat interesting. He says he has no interest in portraying Joker as anything but totally evil, and he won't be romanticizing him the way some writers have been. It could work.
    Currently Reading:

Astonishing Member

It's actually the Cowan & Sienkiewicz aspect that has me reading this on day one. Lemire is a fine writer, I've liked loads of stuff he's written and I'm sure it's statistically probable that this will be a good story. But yeah, the artist reunion is the selling point. They rocked out that little Green Arrow: Year One short story that introduced Diggle in Lemire's G.A. run. Just a legendary pencil & ink duo for me that I'll support until the end of time, and neither of them has really lost their groove.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Lemire writing the Joker and Question? Count me in .

I'm excited for the Question, neutral on the Joker.

Lmao Lemire sounds like he’s writing the Joker book for a paycheck. The Question book is clearly his true dream book, I’ll check it out.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lmao Lemire sounds like he’s writing the Joker book for a paycheck. The Question book is clearly his true dream book, I’ll check it out.
    Well, he values Sorrentino as a collaborator and wanted to work with a character Sorrentino was interested in. That's actually kind of cool of him.
    Currently Reading:

Astonishing Member

This is 100% the most exciting comics news I've heard for a long time. Entirely up for this - Lemire is great, the art team is genuinely legendary, and the "plot" premise sounds interesting and the "theme" premise utterly fitting.

I can't see any mention of how many issues this is going to be, though - Black Label only really do "fixed length" stories, right?

Also, this vastly improves the chance of a big, lovely, "The Question - By O'Neill And Cowan" omnibus in the year future.

Action Comics
    , Event Leviathan, Lois Lane, Batman #66, those small cameos in Justice League and Detective Comics....

Good year for Vic. Good year.

Looking forward to it, but I was hoping for something in-continuity. Let's hope something good comes from the Leviathan story. This thing sounds even more out there than Veitch's story (and that's saying something).

Just glad to have Vic back!

Well, he values Sorrentino as a collaborator and wanted to work with a character Sorrentino was interested in. That's actually kind of cool of him.
    I was reminded of The Killing Joke in that regard. Moore owed Bolland and Bolland wanted to do a Joker story with him, and thus was one of the biggest stories in comics born. But I just found Lemire talking about how unenthusiastic he is about the Joker as a character to be funny.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I can't see any mention of how many issues this is going to be, though - Black Label only really do "fixed length" stories, right?
    JOKER: KILLER SMILE - 3 issue - October 30.
    THE QUESTION: THE DEATHS OF VIC SAGE - 4 issue - November 20.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    JOKER: KILLER SMILE - 3 issue - October 30.
    THE QUESTION: THE DEATHS OF VIC SAGE - 4 issue - November 20.
    Ah! Was I being blind, or is that from somewhere else?

Thanks regardless.