Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    But yes, not an excuse, of seeing creepy wrinkled Mary Jane. I get it, Marvel wants to portray more "realistic" aging, but Mary Jane Watson has been THE ultimate comic book dream girl.
    This is where Quesada is going "And this is why Peter shouldn't grow up" since Peter aging would mean MJ would age and she wouldn't be beautfiul forever.

I mean come on, there's more to MJ than her looks you know.

Besides MJ is based on Ann Margret and here's how Ann Margret looks in her later years:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann-Margret

Pretty similar I think.

I mean it could be worse. Have you seen Brigitte Bardot. She was a 60s beauty goddess but now you see her and she's quite withered (she's also become a far-right wing nutcase).

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Still really curious what happened to the Gwen clone who married Ben in the 70s chapter.
    I'm hoping/expecting Helen to show up to Ben's funeral with two kids (Sins Past was in the 2000s, and the original plan was for the Stacy twins to be Peter's), one of whom might have a bouncing baby Gwen in tow who'll be suiting up in the finale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Oh, boy! Morlun, Spider-Man's "secret identity" discovered, Parker Industries in danger, probably the Civil War in process.... This issue is going to be crazy. Question is, this Morlun is the same we know or an alternative version of him? I mean, there's suppose to be just one Morlun in the Multiverse, but if this one says he was never defeated (as his first defeat at hands of 616's Spider-Man), this could be confusing.
    Honestly I never liked the idea of Morlun as having only one incarnation in the multiverse. I mean, think What If? The Other must have also had Morlun involved since that spun off from a story that had him s the villain. I mean, love Morlun or hate him, Slott's handling of the character completely destroyed the mystique of him as this ineffable unstoppable force.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Another thing I'm wondering about: will Krav-enom ever make another appearance, or was that just a tease?

He's on one of the last issue's covers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    There is a lot to unpack here...
    yeah, speaking of “creepy”
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    To be honest, just the short hair should've been enough to convey the fact that she's now older.
    long hair = 20s but hot
    short hair = 60 but hot

got it
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she does. But I don't think she'll be Spider-Girl. The preview mentions a Stamford scholarship. If she accepts it, she'll die when Nitro blows up the New Warriors.
    I think you’re confusing Stamford for Stanford. You know, the University.

Astonishing Member

The ageism in this thread is pathetic. People get old. Get over it. That’s the whole point of the book. There’s nothing “creepy” about seeing MJ at 60. Also that’s a bit sexist.... how come no one is saying 60 year old Peter is “creepy”? Just MJ, because she’s a “dream girl” apparently? If you think like that, please grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The ageism in this thread is pathetic. People get old. Get over it. That’s the whole point of the book. There’s nothing “creepy” about seeing MJ at 60. Also that’s a bit sexist.... how come no one is saying 60 year old Peter is “creepy”? Just MJ, because she’s a “dream girl” apparently? If you think like that, please grow up.
    it also reinforces the stereotype of MJ fans seeing her as an object rather than a character. her value resting on being a trophy for peter.
    troo fan or death

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    No, it's just creepy.

Mary Jane Watson, even over various other depictions, has been THE picture of aging gracefully.

Besides, I don't know if Life Story had her an actress / model, but I'd assume especially for actress / model, being naturally a lifestyle of preserving her beauty, at least through the breakthroughs of modern cosmetics, skin-lifts, or simply living healthily.

Oh wait, she was at one point a smoker, wasn't she, especially when the decade hopping throughout series never fully made clear how long a duration she smoked or drank.

But yes, not an excuse, of seeing creepy wrinkled Mary Jane. I get it, Marvel wants to portray more "realistic" aging, but Mary Jane Watson has been THE ultimate comic book dream girl.
    There are thousands of comic issues out there where Mary Jane is physically your "comic book dream girl". I'm sure you'll be fine with this one moment where she grew wrinkly and old in a comic called "Life Story". It is a perfect "excuse" to..depict Mary Jane as an actual person aging naturally over the years and not a woman frozen in time and prized for her beauty and youth.

Old women aren't "creepy" just because they're not attractive to you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    it also reinforces the stereotype of MJ fans seeing her as an object rather than a character. her value resting on being a trophy for peter.
    Yesssss. Catch whiffs of that often.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emmafrosting View Post
    There are thousands of comic issues out there where Mary Jane is physically your "comic book dream girl". I'm sure you'll be fine with this one moment where she grew wrinkly and old in a comic called "Life Story". It is a perfect "excuse" to..depict Mary Jane as an actual person aging naturally over the years and not a woman frozen in time and prized for her beauty and youth.

Old women aren't "creepy" just because they're not attractive to you anymore.
    We're all agreed here! This is really bizarre and creepy on the fans' parts! MJ being older (barely old anyway) is just life. This exact type of thinking is why people like Quesada and Brevoort refuse to let Peter and his world age past 25-28. I for one would love to see this happen in 616. Heck, maybe even a story akin to "Batman Annual #2" by Tom King and Lee Weeks.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Ben Reilly gets brutlaly and anticlimatically killed off in the previews and the point of discussion is over how old a 59-year old Mary Jane looks. Makes sense.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Ben Reilly gets brutlaly and anticlimatically killed off in the previews and the point of discussion is over how old a 59-year old Mary Jane looks. Makes sense.
    Not to mention how Peter immediately prioritizes everything but his family.

Oh, and Peter's beard. Tony Stark has facial hair. Failed Reed Richards has facial hair. Maybe facial hair in this universe is a sign of failed morality or something .

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Right?! It's nuts.
    But to bring it back to Ben...let's not forget another Spider-Man story that happened during the 00s..."The Other: Evolve or Die", in which Peter is killed by Morlun and resurrected as the Other. In 616, Kaine befalls this fate, and was resurrected as the Other later on. If Zdarsky is alluding to that, I'm thinking Ben may be sharing Kaine's fate in this series.