Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Another great issue.

spoilers:
    Heartbreaking for MJ too. The art really added to the sense of loss for her.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Another great issue.

spoilers:
    Heartbreaking for MJ too. The art really added to the sense of loss for her.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    MJ just can't catch a break in this series! Man! From the 80s, to the 2000s, she's had such a crazy life
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    spoilers:
    MJ just can't catch a break in this series! Man! From the 80s, to the 2000s, she's had such a crazy life
    end of spoilers
    I mean the 90s treat her very well
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Finally got around to reading this. spoilers:
    How heartbreaking for Peter and MJ! I knew someone was going to die but I had no idea it was going to happen this way. Just like his dad though. I think Claire's going to join the fight or she's totally going to become Spider-Girl/Woman at the end of this.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Finally got around to reading this. spoilers:
    How heartbreaking for Peter and MJ! I knew someone was going to die but I had no idea it was going to happen this way. Just like his dad though. I think Claire's going to join the fight or she's totally going to become Spider-Girl/Woman at the end of this.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    She will be number 3
    end of spoilers

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I mean the 90s treat her very well
    Wasn't she kidnapped in the 90's; or was that the 00's?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    She was kidnapped in both haha
    Jonathan Caesar in the 80s to 90s, the mutant Stalker in the 00s

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    in terms of Life Story the 90s and early 00s unitl Ben die treated her well

New to this board.

Absolutely loving this series. I would personally put it in the Spider-Man Blue league if it finishes off strong. It’s been such a fantastic and natural progression of this particular character aging. This issue was fantastic. It’s heartbreaking and uplifting seeing Peter through out this. My only issue with this issue was the artwork which is surprising being as how I love Bagley. The art was just inconsistent at times especially with MJ. Minor nitpick in the grand scheme of things but it was still annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    in terms of Life Story the 90s and early 00s unitl Ben die treated her well
    it’s a good point; we’re only getting glimpses at each decade. the bits with the most drama (kinda like marber’s “closer”).

and really, the longer we live, the more likely any of us will encounter tragedies

question: if ben operated as spidey for the past decade or so...is it explained how he stayed out of the superhero civil war? did tony not come for him in that time?
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Is this all a little too...depressing for everyone else?
    I don’t know what I was expecting when this series started, but it definitely hasn’t been that.

Not that that’s a bad thing, of course. I’m enjoying the approach and it’s very daring. Looking forward to the conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I don’t know what I was expecting when this series started, but it definitely hasn’t been that.

Not that that’s a bad thing, of course. I’m enjoying the approach and it’s very daring. Looking forward to the conclusion.
    With most of these events, it's going to be hard to have a lighthearted tone with all the craziness that happens to Peter, especially truncated to a six issue miniseries (albeit with a few more pages). In other words, I think Zdarsky would like to have more balance, but just simply ran out of space.

On the flipside of that, it's about a man getting older and learning about his mortality and sense of responsibility. That leans a bit more into the dramatic (and mainly depressing) realm.

BANNED

Any story with superheroes who age is going to have tragic elements. This is true of The Dark Knight Returns, it's true of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, it's true of the Logan movie. It's also true of stuff like Spider-Man Reign and Life Story doesn't feel as depressing as Reign does. Heck look at Star Wars, it could have been worse, Spider-Man's kid could have become Kylo Ren, or Kylo Goblin or something, or Spider-Man could hole up under the sewers and become a hobo like Luke Skywalker after trying to kill Miles which ends up turning him evil. At least we got to see that Peter and MJ raised good and bright children who clearly had a happy family, which makes what happens even sadder, unfair and worse I guess. And it's not all good or all bad. Zdarsky mixes highs and lows. LF#3 was a downer, but LF#4 ended on a positive note. I think LF#6 will end on a bittersweet note. That somehow despite all the stuff that happened in his life, Spider-Man mattered somehow. And that it wasn't for nothing. I always did think that Peter's life would be one where he would find a small amount of happiness but not a great deal of success. I think Peter's destined to be the guy who is thought better of and appreciated more after his death. "Wealth and fame, he's ignored/Action is his reward".

It's also clear that Zdarsky has a sound dramatic touch, a kind of indirect way of storytelling where the gut punches are invisible. I am thinking of his Spectacular #310 where the core of the story is that heartbreaking story of that kid who got killed by the mob and the way that the mother doesn't blame Spidey for that and so on. It's so unexpected when that happens, because it's framed in the middle of what's basically a comemorative and valedictory kind of story, and the artwork and story doesn't give a tell. He has a good way of using comics to communicate a character's interior state.

He has that same manner here, especially the final all-black panel which just underscores the awful revelation that is awaiting Peter which is literally too painful for Zdarsky to show so he asks readers to imagine it. That's an example of a writer turning the limitations of the format (6 Issue, decade-by-decade) into an advantage. Because if Zdarsky had more room, you would have seen Peter's reaction to that and so on. But since he has to balance double plots and so on, this is how he has to work it.

There have been some very depressing moments through out but honestly I view this as more of an uplifting story. He’s rising up against all odds and giving whatever he has left in the tank to do the “right” thing. I have a feeling that this isn’t going to end on that text book we all ride off into the sunset type ending. Granted I would love nothing more then Peter/MJ to get that type of send off but with everything that’s happened and the tone of the series..... I can’t see that happening.

Astonishing Member

the issue was fun im enjoying this but when Peter said Ben had no love ones or family i was thinking "what happened tot he Gwen clone he left in the 70s issue? did she died off panel?