Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I really wonder what sorts of 2010 themes we're going to see next issue. The main things that come to mind when I think of 2010s Spider-Man are Spider-Island/Spider-Verse, Superior Spider-Man, and Horizon Labs/Parker Industries. Obviously the latter has already been a pretty major part of this series so far, so I doubt it's going to play a major role next issue. Superior Spider-Man is a possibility, but I doubt it would be a good idea to have the last issue of a series which has been focused on celebrating Peter Parker center around someone else using his body like a puppet. On the other hand, something like Spider-Island/Spider-Verse would probably be my best bet for what's going to take center stage next issue. The proliferation of other Spider-people is something we've seen this decade in not just the comics, but also the movies and even videogames like Shattered Dimensions/Edge of Time. It's also a good way for the series to look back on what makes Peter special, apart from just his powers, and then dive into the legacy he's left behind for all these spider-people who are coming after him.

Of course, Zdarsky has been doing a lot of expectation subversion in this series so far, so I'm ready for anything! I have confidence he'll stick the landing.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    People are negative about the Clone Saga too, which doesn't stop Zdarsky from making use of it for 2 of his issues, with Miles Warren being one of the major villains showcased in this series (alongside Goblin, Kraven, Octopus, Morlun). And you know Civil War isn't widely regarded as a great story here and I don't think Zdarsky is a fan either, since basically LF#5 amounts to "JMS rules, Millar drools" in terms of the reverence with which he treats Morlun and Cap (who were both done right by JMS) then Tony Stark (whose Eisenfuhrer shtick was regarded by Millar as the moral right).

Spider-Man:Reign is about a very old, very disillusioned Peter who's lost all hope...that's most likely where Peter's going to be at when he gets back to home at the end of LF#5.

Zdarsky more or less dealt with OMD in LF#3, showing Peter's pathetic dependency on Aunt May at the expense of his children, his oedipal fixation on his past at the expense of his present and his future.

That's more or less LF Peter's constant recurring tragic flaw throughout the series. He's indecisive, passive-aggressive, short-sighted and more fixated and obsessed with fixing past errors than trying to avoid and solve present ones or thinking about future ones. That differentiates Peter from other heroes who are also flawed and narrow-minded...Tony Stark is obsessed with the future over the present, so anything he does in the present is justified because in his mind he's solved a future crisis and problem which obviously the people in the present are too stupid to understand and expect. So it's not like LF Peter has a clear path and clear way on how to act in this series because there's no one easy way to be good and decent...which again is pretty adult. Anytime he acts, he's driven into action by being convinced that he's somehow solving a past wrong or mistake. You see that consistently throughout the series, and especially here where the story makes it look initially like Peter's doing the right thing, and we as readers are made to think and believe it is because even Claire thinks so but it turns out to be a mistake, which is just...incredibly adult. Zdarsky's writing really is deft and nuanced.

my bad, didn’t mean to say i thought omd would be referenced but that i’d expect that over reign. yeah, spider-girl was used but that has firm roots in 616 whereas reign just feels... disconnected. but never say never

and believe it or not, the clone saga or at least elements of it, has fans despite its bad rep...moreso than reign i’d bet
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    People are negative about the Clone Saga too, which doesn't stop Zdarsky from making use of it for 2 of his issues, with Miles Warren being one of the major villains showcased in this series (alongside Goblin, Kraven, Octopus, Morlun). And you know Civil War isn't widely regarded as a great story here and I don't think Zdarsky is a fan either, since basically LF#5 amounts to "JMS rules, Millar drools" in terms of the reverence with which he treats Morlun and Cap (who were both done right by JMS) then Tony Stark (whose Eisenfuhrer shtick was regarded by Millar as the moral right).

Spider-Man:Reign is about a very old, very disillusioned Peter who's lost all hope...that's most likely where Peter's going to be at when he gets back to home at the end of LF#5.

Zdarsky more or less dealt with OMD in LF#3, showing Peter's pathetic dependency on Aunt May at the expense of his children, his oedipal fixation on his past at the expense of his present and his future.

That's more or less LF Peter's constant recurring tragic flaw throughout the series. He's indecisive, passive-aggressive, short-sighted and more fixated and obsessed with fixing past errors than trying to avoid and solve present ones or thinking about future ones. That differentiates Peter from other heroes who are also flawed and narrow-minded...Tony Stark is obsessed with the future over the present, so anything he does in the present is justified because in his mind he's solved a future crisis and problem which obviously the people in the present are too stupid to understand and expect. So it's not like LF Peter has a clear path and clear way on how to act in this series because there's no one easy way to be good and decent...which again is pretty adult. Anytime he acts, he's driven into action by being convinced that he's somehow solving a past wrong or mistake. You see that consistently throughout the series, and especially here where the story makes it look initially like Peter's doing the right thing, and we as readers are made to think and believe it is because even Claire thinks so but it turns out to be a mistake, which is just...incredibly adult. Zdarsky's writing really is deft and nuanced.
    Peter was always doomed to failure no matter his decisions.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-19-2019 at 09:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    and believe it or not, the clone saga or at least elements of it, has fans despite its bad rep...moreso than reign i’d bet
    Reign actually does have some fans. Dan Gvozden likes it. And it's shown up in some best-of lists.

I am not a fan of Reign believe me, but it does seem like something that Zdarsky could use. Life Story is very much a project that harvests pre-existing versions of Spider-Man which Zdarsky remixes and changes. Doing so allows Zdarsky to tap into emotions and connections we have with some of these works. It's also important as a shorthand because Zdarsky is working with very limited pages and a very big scope so he needs something recognizable and familiar as a sounding board to deal with. And like it or not, Spider-Man Reign is actually recognizable and so on.

If Venom returns, I think thats the best obvious way to reference Reign. Or a geriatric Sinister Six.

Part of me is thinking Spider-Man is going to have his life end being hunted down and killed by the authorities. Thus passing on his legacy to those who remain behind. Bittersweet. Thats about the tone we've seen so far.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    If Venom returns, I think thats the best obvious way to reference Reign. Or a geriatric Sinister Six.

Part of me is thinking Spider-Man is going to have his life end being hunted down and killed by the authorities. Thus passing on his legacy to those who remain behind. Bittersweet. Thats about the tone we've seen so far.
    That's how JMS showed it in ASM#500, the so-called "last stand" vision of Peter in his nightmare scenario there. Zdarsky is a major JMS/JRJR fan.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    my bad, didn’t mean to say i thought omd would be referenced but that i’d expect that over reign. yeah, spider-girl was used but that has firm roots in 616 whereas reign just feels... disconnected. but never say never

The clone saga should have lost anyone when Peter hit Mary Jane.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    The clone saga should have lost anyone when Peter hit Mary Jane.
    Pretty much this. That was a bad move and the whoever wrote that should be ashamed. Granted, Peter was really trying to kill Ben Reilly in the midst of a total breakdown upon finding out he was the clone (which turned out to be a flat-out lie) and hit Mary Jane by mistake when she tried to stop him from killing Ben, but still, that was messed up. After all, he could have easily turned her into red paste with that blow.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You know, one thing that surpised me slightly was that while Ben was obviously wearing a costume inspired by Ross' concept for the Raimi trilogy, we didnt seem to see anything referencing either the Last Stand suit or Bagley's own Spider-Man costume design for Ben, since they're obviously both tied to the JMS era & Ben, respectively (the Iron Spider suit wouldn't have fit, for obvious reasons). I kind of wonder if that's because they're being kept in reserve for the finale for Peter & Claire to wear.

I have been a fan of Zdarskys work since Marvel 2 in 1. I really enjoy his take on spiderman in this comic. I heard he is doing Invaders. I might pick that up.