Page 35 of 97 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    At least there's no editorial meddling or forced corporate cross-platform synergy.
    I now feel kinda bad about one of my holiday stories.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I now feel kinda bad about one of my holiday stories.
    And I'm scrapping my plans to meddle editorially....

But, I'm happy to announce a new plotter and book! KALAI will be joining us with a really fun new title: JUSTICE FOR ALL SEASONS!

JUSTICE FOR ALL SEASONS
    Plotter: KALAI
    Writer: TOM KING
    Artist: DOC SHANER
    Premise: Based on Justice League International, a Saturday morning cartoon style adventure where the team faces villains for each season.
    1. Ice
    2. Fire
    3. Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
    4. Mister Miracle
    5. Big Barda
    6. Captain Marvel (Shazam/Billy Batson)
    7. Tawky Tawny
    8. Mary Marvel
    9. Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)
    10. Peng Deilan
    11. Avery Ho
    12. Sensor (From Legion of Superheroes)
    Antagonist:
    13. Darkseid
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Welcome aboard KALAI!!!

Sales totals for November are up!

Everyone's a winner this month!

New solicitations for this month and a reward points update will be coming soon!
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Personally, I'm thinking that your plots will be better than whatever Snyder is concocting lol. Didn't he want both Marthas to turn out to be the same person?

Nonetheless, understandable that you'd like to hiatus the book. We can hold it and the points in reserve for as long as you'd like.

Of course, you've got the points to launch another book in the interim if you so desire. Miniseries or ongoing. Always love seeing your creativity let loose!
    Well thank you for the kind words, that is very generous! Thank you. The biggest thing, for me, is I have hit several instances now of plotting out some things and then having very similar beats show up in the real DC books lol Right when I was starting my Legends arc on the Vampire Earth, here comes an issue of 'Flash Forward' where Wally has to deal with a Vampire Justice League. I'm plotting a story of an ancient evil who has just awoken in the universe with a connection to the Source Wall, and then here comes Perpetua. I then started to plot things for my DCEU book involving Silas Stone sacrificing himself later on, and revisiting the Knightmare future...and then here comes the trailer for the Snyder Cut and we see Silas die.

It's starting to look like copying, stealing, or otherwise just being lazy. Even if nobody else is seeing it, I'm seeing it, and it's all 100% coincidence and bad timing but it still bugs me. I enjoy being part of this group not just to entertain others but to also scratch a creative itch, and I guess it just shows there are no truly original stories left lol But I'm going to rework the book following Snyder's 4-hour opus, and once he has it all out of his system then I can continue on my way uninterupted. Plus, DCEU is a lower-selling book in our line of books and if I rework it I am confident I can get more sales. It just needs to percolate longer.

I find these threads amazing in that we actually get an idea (faint, yes) of what comic writing is really like. We experience burnout, switches in what we expected, and dealing with others' plans as well. I love that we all are enamored of our solicits and really get into this. The search for quality is truly something we can be proud of here.

It's your book, do with it as you will and it'll be great. I look fprward to your next iteration.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. And I absolutely agree, the effort & creativity put forth by everyone here is amazing. It's why I end up picking "1 of everything" on my buys each month because I have a hard time saying "this book deserves a buy, but not this one." I'm just a softy lol Creative burnout is real though! I've been there...a few years ago, in the old "New Dawn" stuff, I was soloing 3 books and co-writing 2 at one point. I don't know how guys like Bendis do it, when he's writing full scripts for 5 books a month most of the time. I have a hard enough time doing solicits. I'm glad Next Dawn has rules regarding too many books though, it's easy to get excited and sign up for a ton of stuff, and then you get burned out and the game loses a plotter. I like this setup quite a bit.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    The biggest thing, for me, is I have hit several instances now of plotting out some things and then having very similar beats show up in the real DC books lol
    I've encountered this myself! The creative struggle is real lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I've been there...a few years ago, in the old "New Dawn" stuff, I was soloing 3 books and co-writing 2 at one point. I don't know how guys like Bendis do it, when he's writing full scripts for 5 books a month most of the time. I have a hard enough time doing solicits. I'm glad Next Dawn has rules regarding too many books though, it's easy to get excited and sign up for a ton of stuff, and then you get burned out and the game loses a plotter. I like this setup quite a bit.
    Exactly why we set up the limits. Fun is the first priority, burnout is our nemesis!

Granted, there is no actual heavy lifting here, but this monthly activity is not as easy as it looks. It is a load of fun and when an idea hits, then the adrenaline starts flowing and we go to town. It will be a long while before I decide to do a line-wide event again, as building it up does mean putting many pieces in place. Even if plots, titles, and characters are defined and set to go, there is always the quest for creative talent to put on the book.

This (and the Marvel page) are both a lot of fun. It's a chance to take "what we would do" and to put those words out there for people to see. I am constantly amazed at the talent and quality of each month's solicitations.

Thanks, Exciter! December solicits will be posted later tonight, so there's still time to get them in if you haven't already.
    You're all doing great work and having fun. Alas, I'm unable to commit to anything beyond my upcoming stint on the Superman Challenge at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Welcome aboard KALAI!!!
    Ditto!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Thanks, Exciter! December solicits will be posted later tonight, so there's still time to get them in if you haven't already.
    You're all doing great work and having fun. Alas, I'm unable to commit to anything beyond my upcoming stint on the Superman Challenge at the moment.
    Ditto!
    Is there anything going on with Detective this month? It was my understanding that my issue was a one and done. Of course, the mob of torch and pitchfork wielders outside the Next Dawn corporate offices may have had a lot to do with that.

But, I'm happy to announce a new plotter and book! KALAI will be joining us with a really fun new title: JUSTICE FOR ALL SEASONS!
    This sounds like a fun book and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Welcome aboard, Kalai!

Is there anything going on with Detective this month? It was my understanding that my issue was a one and done. Of course, the mob of torch and pitchfork wielders outside the Next Dawn corporate offices may have had a lot to do with that.
    Nothing as of yet. I know Randomideaguy expressed interest a while back in picking it up, but he may have changed his mind with recent events.

You do, of course, have the option of a second title (points free), even if its for a limited run...

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

Nah I’m good. As long as Batman & Superman are produced by someone I don’t mind who.

Quote Originally Posted by randomideaguy View Post
    Nah I’m good. As long as Batman & Superman are produced by someone I don’t mind who.
    If you're sure, I can take Detective for a while anyway. Batman's the guy with the pointy ears, right?

nx01a, Detective 10 will be a few days late, but you should have a solicitation by the end of the weekend (the 6th) if that's OK for a late arrival.

Nothing as of yet. I know Randomideaguy expressed interest a while back in picking it up, but he may have changed his mind with recent events.

You do, of course, have the option of a second title (points free), even if its for a limited run...
    Hello all you crazy people!

I've submitted solicits for both Action and Detective Comics for this coming month.

And I agree with the sentiments of everyone about the efforts being put into to producing a solicit every month. A lot of work and creativity goes into this and keeping titles fresh and not repeating story beats is very hard to do.

I remember back in the day, some of us were plotting anywhere from 5 to 7 titles a month! I definitely know the feeling of burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Hello all you crazy people!

I've submitted solicits for both Action and Detective Comics for this coming month.

And I agree with the sentiments of everyone about the efforts being put into to producing a solicit every month. A lot of work and creativity goes into this and keeping titles fresh and not repeating story beats is very hard to do.

I remember back in the day, some of us were plotting anywhere from 5 to 7 titles a month! I definitely know the feeling of burnout.
    OK, then. I won't be doing a late Tec submission. Thanks, Marv, for stepping up to the plate. Maybe there can be an Action/Detective pairing each month? Do we have volunteers for the eleventh issues of the big two?