Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Superior Spider-Man #9

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I love Otto as Superior Spider-Man. He is king of the trolls. Long live Superior Spider-Man aka Otto the Great!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I think he's just feeling guilty because deep down . . . well, he said it himself to Peter in the finale of the original Superior Spider-Man series, that he uses his egotistical bluster as a front to overcompensate for being all too aware of his inadequacies.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think he's just feeling guilty because deep down . . . well, he said it himself to Peter in the finale of the original Superior Spider-Man series, that he uses his egotistical bluster as a front to overcompensate for being all too aware of his inadequacies.
    I hope not. I prefer him being a jerk a self-aware jerk. He knows, or at least thinks, he is better than others and has no qualms about using them as rungs on the ladder of success. And what do you do with rungs, you step on them. Otto should be like Frieza from Dragon Ball in so much as he should never fully reform thus always maintaining his (dark grey character type) edge.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope not. I prefer him being a jerk a self-aware jerk. He knows, or at least thinks, he is better than others and has no qualms about using them as rungs on the ladder of success. And what do you do with rungs, you step on them. Otto should be like Frieza from Dragon Ball in so much as he should never fully reform thus always maintaining his (dark grey character type) edge.
    Hmm, maybe he shouldn't fully reform, but it doesn't seem like he's very comfortable with people actually treating him like the hero he believes he is. I mean, he's gotten what he always wanted . . . so why isn't he basking in it?

iMan 42s

Maybe not where it's going but Otto is living a lie.
    He is a backup of himself, using an identity that didn't originate from him, using a false identity, which means he can't have a proper relationship with anybody hero or associate like Anna. He has what he wants but how sure is he that it's what he wants and to that end, he's still Otto they just don't know it. Saving someone's life isn't going to change his past of almost cooking the planet and (briefly) killing Peter Parker. It's not going to change people's perceptions of Otto, it's going to make Elliot look good.

Maybe that's what they're going for? Otto is horrifying, but Elliot is the Superior Spider-man so he has to be good right? They like the false identity and not Otto and simply can't know it's Otto.
    I'm probably talking out my ass but hey that's an explanation.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Maybe not where it's going but Otto is living a lie.
    He is a backup of himself, using an identity that didn't originate from him, using a false identity, which means he can't have a proper relationship with anybody hero or associate like Anna. He has what he wants but how sure is he that it's what he wants and to that end, he's still Otto they just don't know it. Saving someone's life isn't going to change his past of almost cooking the planet and (briefly) killing Peter Parker. It's not going to change people's perceptions of Otto, it's going to make Elliot look good.

Maybe that's what they're going for? Otto is horrifying, but Elliot is the Superior Spider-man so he has to be good right? They like the false identity and not Otto and simply can't know it's Otto.
    I'm probably talking out my ass but hey that's an explanation.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too, and why I mentioned that Otto might be feeling guilty because on some level, he does know that as great as he (thinks he) is, everything he has now is based on false pretenses.

So San Francisco Spider-Man...isn't Miles supposed to be the Spider-Man of Brooklyn?

Ben was Vegas Spider-Man, basically, Kaine was Houston.

I guess Peter is just regular ol' New York Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, maybe he shouldn't fully reform, but it doesn't seem like he's very comfortable with people actually treating him like the hero he believes he is. I mean, he's gotten what he always wanted . . . so why isn't he basking in it?
    We'll agree to disagree on this one my friend. I prefer this version of Otto (SS) as a more or less guilt-free douchebag who is either too aloof or too callous to care much, if at all, about using others.

Edit - Otto is a primary example of the Flat Character Arc in that both historically and contemporaneously he tends not to learn from his mistakes (or at least does not retain those lessons for more than a short time before reverting to his old habits) and thus does not improve long-term. Otto is the ultimate backslider, IMO, and I adore him for it.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-11-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So San Francisco Spider-Man...isn't Miles supposed to be the Spider-Man of Brooklyn?

Ben was Vegas Spider-Man, basically, Kaine was Houston.

I guess Peter is just regular ol' New York Spider-Man.
    Or Queens Spider-Man.

We'll agree to disagree on this one my friend. I prefer this version of Otto (SS) as a more or less guilt-free douchebag who is either too aloof or too callous to care much, if at all, about using others.

Edit - Otto is a primary example of the Flat Character Arc in that both historically and contemporaneously he tends not to learn from his mistakes (or at least does not retain those lessons for more than a short time before reverting to his old habits) and thus does not improve long-term. Otto is the ultimate backslider, IMO, and I adore him for it.
    That's fine. I can respect that.

I can see what you're saying, but I think Otto has definitely changed by being Spider-Man, he's proven that every time he puts on the suit and saves someone's life. The old Otto would never put his life on the line for people he views beneath him or care about the general masses at all. He's not doing this to prove he's better than Peter like before, though he's using the Spider-Man identity. He's generally trying to turn over a new leaf. The old Otto would never have fought Terrax almost to the point of death for innocent people or saved the city from a bunch demons, or most recently a war of realms. Though you might argue that's what he must do to prove himself as a hero, he did something else I never thought he could do during the war of realms, and that was accept he isn't the centre of attention, he's not the most important thing in the world. That's a level of humbleness we've never seen from Otto. So I have to disagree with you on him not changing, he has, and might always have this superiority complex and might still act like a jerk at times, but his heart is in the right place.

You compared him to frieza from DBZ but I don't think that comparison is completely right, considering how bad Frieza truly is, he's more like Vegeta, as he was a villain and quite the murderer himself like Otto was who slaughtered the namekians to get power, though years later after he reformed he felt remorse and felt he owed them an unpayable debt. It's the same for Otto, he can never truly make up for what he's done but he can, try to save as many people now to try and redeem himself and his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    ....You compared him to frieza from DBZ but I don't think that comparison is completely right, considering how bad Frieza truly is, he's more like Vegeta, as he was a villain and quite the murderer himself like Otto was who slaughtered the namekians to get power, though years later after he reformed he felt remorse and felt he owed them an unpayable debt. It's the same for Otto, he can never truly make up for what he's done but he can, try to save as many people now to try and redeem himself and his soul.
    While I will concede he could become Vegeta someday right now he remains firmly in the Frieza category (consider what he did and worse wanted to do during Spider-Geddon). I honestly hope they never fully redeem him because the day they do his version of Spider-Man stops being unique, and that will be the day I stop supporting the character. We've already seen Kaine and Ben go through redemption arcs. Otto should remain Otto.

While I will concede he could become Vegeta someday right now he remains firmly in the Frieza category (consider what he did and worse wanted to do during Spider-Geddon). I honestly hope they never fully redeem him because the day they do his version of Spider-Man stops being unique, and that will be the day I stop supporting the character. We've already seen Kaine and Ben go through redemption arcs. Otto should remain Otto.
    Frieza is a genocidal manic, while true Otto's done some sinister things, I wouldn't put him on that level of evil. He fits Vegeta more IMO. And what Otto did in Spider Geddon was wrong, but it wasn't entirely his fault or at least the blame doesn't lie completely with him, but also the Web Warriors. And in the end Otto proved his worth by being the one to end the Inheritors in a way that gives them another chance at life, something Otto originally detested to completely.

But I do see your point, he doesn't have to lose that killer edge he has, he can still do what he thinks is right, though it might be considered villainous to the general public, but at that point he'd be pretty akin to Venom, so I'm still not sure what to think. I want to see Otto do the right thing, but he can definitely go about it in a more sinister way perhaps.