Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68
  1. #16
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Frieza is a genocidal manic, while true Otto's done some sinister things, I wouldn't put him on that level of evil. He fits Vegeta more IMO.....
    I'm not so sure. He did threaten to kill everyone on Earth during the events of "Ends of the Earth" for the self-aggrandizement of his ego. He also wanted to give a person HIV so he can cure them, once again for the self-aggrandizement of his ego. Otto could indeed be genocidal if he felt it was in his best interest, I think he might even do so today if he felt it served a greater purpose like protecting the world. Unlike Peter, he has no qualms about playing dirty when need be and I love him for that.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  2. #17
    Super Member GSman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Where you least expect
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm not so sure. He did threaten to kill everyone on Earth during the events of "Ends of the Earth" for the self-aggrandizement of his ego. He also wanted to give a person HIV so he can cure them, once again for the self-aggrandizement of his ego. Otto could indeed be genocidal if he felt it was in his best interest, I think he might even do so today if he felt it served a greater purpose like protecting the world. Unlike Peter, he has no qualms about playing dirty when need be and I love him for that.
    True he has done that, but that's a thing that every villain turned hero has to deal with, their past and all those things they've done. But honestly if Otto is still willing to do those things, even today, after everything good he's done for the innocents and San Francisco, he should just hang up that Spider-Man suit, and put on his tentacles since he's a straight up villain with no hope who's deceiving himself and others. I do believe Otto's past that, though he's not past killing and crossing lines Peter wouldn't, which is already a huge enough distinction between the two.

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    True he has done that, but that's a thing that every villain turned hero has to deal with, their past and all those things they've done. But honestly if Otto is still willing to do those things, even today, after everything good he's done for the innocents and San Francisco, he should just hang up that Spider-Man suit, and put on his tentacles since he's a straight up villain with no hope who's deceiving himself and others. I do believe Otto's past that, though he's not past killing and crossing lines Peter wouldn't, which is already a huge enough distinction between the two.
    I hope he stays that way. I don't want him to go full Vegeta as Vegeta is pretty tame in modern Dragon Ball and has been ever since his sacrifice during the Majin Buu arc. I'd prefer Otto does not go down a similar road but rather keeps his edge fully intact. Also, IMO, he and Peter should never become genuine friends as Goku and Vegeta have rather they should remain uneasy allies of convenience like Goku and Frieza when the need arises.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-12-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  4. #19
    Super Member GSman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Where you least expect
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope he stays that way. I don't want him to go full Vegeta as Vegeta is pretty tame in modern Dragon Ball and has been ever since his sacrifice during the Majin Buu arc. I'd prefer Otto does not go down a similar road but rather keeps his edge fully intact. Also, IMO, he and Peter should never become friends as Goku and Vegeta have rather they should remain uneasy allies of convenience like Goku and Frieza.
    I can agree with that, at least with him keeping his edgy side. That does keep things fresh and different in comparison to Peter or Miles who follow the "responsibility" code. I'm definitely down with him keeping that killer instinct so long as he's doing it for right reasons. Who knows that might even bring him into conflict with Anna in a future arc.

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I can agree with that, at least with him keeping his edgy side. That does keep things fresh and different in comparison to Peter or Miles who follow the "responsibility" code. I'm definitely down with him keeping that killer instinct so long as he's doing it for right reasons. Who knows that might even bring him into conflict with Anna in a future arc.
    Indeed it might which will no doubt lead to all sorts of delicious drama mwah ha ha haha.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  6. #21
    The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I think to some degree the attention is getting to Otto. In his first run as Superior, he was answerable to no one. Made his own decisions, burned more than a few bridges with relationships in Peter's and Spider-man's lives. Now he's got Anna Maria as his conscience, Emma knows his secret, and San Francisco idolizes him. Now there are expectations about who he is supposed to be, whereas as Doc Ock and Superior he pretty much set the tone. He may no longer enjoy playing the hero if he can't do it his way.

  7. #22
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    I think to some degree the attention is getting to Otto. In his first run as Superior, he was answerable to no one. Made his own decisions, burned more than a few bridges with relationships in Peter's and Spider-man's lives. Now he's got Anna Maria as his conscience, Emma knows his secret, and San Francisco idolizes him. Now there are expectations about who he is supposed to be, whereas as Doc Ock and Superior he pretty much set the tone. He may no longer enjoy playing the hero if he can't do it his way.
    That could be it. I do like the discussion earlier comparing Otto to either Vegeta or Frieza from the Dragon Ball series, and my personal take is that Otto is closer to Vegeta than Frieza. Frieza never repented or desired to repent and was a monster to the end, only working with the heroes for his own selfish purposes and goals, whereas Vegeta grew to genuinely care about the people around him, even if he did a poor job of showing it and covered it up with his usual attitude. Furthermore, when he realized his actions had put them all at greater risk, he was willing to sacrifice himself to try to set it right, even though he knew that after a lifetime of wanton violence and mayhem, he wasn't going anywhere after he died except hell.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  8. #23
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    6,535

    Default

    otto shall be peter's loki, he will also date loki, gage don't screw this up

  9. #24
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    otto shall be peter's loki, he will also date loki, gage don't screw this up
    Otto/Loki could be an interesting pair, especially considering Loki's team-up with Peter back in a two-part story in the JMS run to save his mortal daughter from being possessed by the spirit of an ancient evil witch.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  10. #25
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That could be it. I do like the discussion earlier comparing Otto to either Vegeta or Frieza from the Dragon Ball series, and my personal take is that Otto is closer to Vegeta than Frieza. Frieza never repented or desired to repent and was a monster to the end, only working with the heroes for his own selfish purposes and goals, whereas Vegeta grew to genuinely care about the people around him, even if he did a poor job of showing it and covered it up with his usual attitude. Furthermore, when he realized his actions had put them all at greater risk, he was willing to sacrifice himself to try to set it right, even though he knew that after a lifetime of wanton violence and mayhem, he wasn't going anywhere after he died except hell.
    Have you watched Dragon Ball Super by any chance? I think revived (for the second time) Frieza's characterization in that series, especially during the Universal Survival Arc, is the best parallel to current Otto - a ruthless self-important douchebag who likes to grandstand and will work with others only if it serves his own interests, and someone who is not above taking shortcuts due to arrogance or even laziness. But, once again, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-13-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  11. #26
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Have you watched Dragon Ball Super by any chance? I think Frieza's characterization in that series, especially during the Universal Survival Arc, is the best parallel to current Otto. But, once again, that's just my opinion.
    Yeah, I have. It's been a good watch so far, by and large.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, I have. It's been a good watch so far, by and large.
    Have you gotten to the Universal Survival Arc yet? Universal Survival Arc Frieza is very close to current Otto (especially during Spider-Geddon) in terms of characterization. I feel they are a near-perfect parallel for each other, at least IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  13. #28
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Have you gotten to the Universal Survival Arc yet? Universal Survival Arc Frieza is very close to current Otto (especially during Spider-Geddon) in terms of characterization. I feel they are a near-perfect parallel for each other, at least IMO.
    Yeah, I'm there right now. Not sure I see much of Frieza in Otto or vice versa, but I'm willing to be persuaded.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  14. #29
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, I'm there right now. Not sure I see much of Frieza in Otto or vice versa, but I'm willing to be persuaded.
    Fair enough, still, I think you'll see what I mean once you witness Frieza's actions during the tournament.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Have you gotten to the Universal Survival Arc yet? Universal Survival Arc Frieza is very close to current Otto (especially during Spider-Geddon) in terms of characterization. I feel they are a near-perfect parallel for each other, at least IMO.
    Honestly I'd compare Frieza more to someone like Doctor Doom, especially once you get to the Broly movie which follows up that arc, and he's right back to pure villainy and genocide.

    I'm on the side of Vegeta being Otto, because they both have their very closed off and angry personalities, believing their way to be the best and only options, but have grown to still want to do the right thing in the end. Also, they may not be a pairing at the moment, but Anna Maria can very much be seen as the Bulma in this situation.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, West Coast Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers, Sonic The Hedgehog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •