Mighty Member

Default Remember the time that Image tried to make their own superhero universe?

Like back in the 90's back when Image was founded they tried to make their own shared universe with superheroes? Like now they retconed that and every Image title is ever since in it's own separate universes.

Like Invincible has his own universe with the wolf-man,TechJacket,and Brit along with other Kirkman superheroes.

Spawn and Savage Dragon are also singular universes nowadays these includes spin-offs of their own.

Top Cow was the only one with the shared universe with Witchblade,Darkness,and Cyberforce.

So now Image decides to focus on indie comics now and which is good since Modern image has gotten some adaptions with different Genres.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

So, when Marvel vs Capcom "died" in late 2017, I started instantly calling for an Image vs Capcom game to replace it. And I was thinking it'd be cool if they did limit themselves to the "Image proper" universe. But of course, that'd be hard to fill out the roster, so other Image chars would have to be included.

But when was this retcon? Cuz I thought Spawn, Savage Dragon, Invincible, Extreme characters, even Top Cow (after its recent reboot) were all still loosely in the same universe, or at least not officially ruled out.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Mighty Member

Image is really weird as they simply have their own version of each character in other universes due to the creator ownership thing going on.

I always enjoyed the early super-heroes books from Image and always thought of them as a shared universe (still do). Shadowhawk, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Wetworks, Cyberforce, Wildcats, etc, etc. It was a fun shared universe even though they were all separately owned by creators.

I totally get why they wouldn't want a shared universe though. It sucks when someone has a falling out (like Gaiman and McFarlane) and then a character that was integral to the Spawn universe can no longer be used (I'll always think of Angela as a Spawn character, not a Marvel Thor character).

The shared universe still exists to an extent. Its just entirely at the creators discretion, and its rare for there to be any kind of shared continuity between titles.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    The shared universe still exists to an extent. Its just entirely at the creators discretion, and its rare for there to be any kind of shared continuity between titles.
    Well that and since Invincble ended along with the other titles shadowhawk and many others. There had been barely other crossovers since.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Well that and since Invincble ended along with the other titles shadowhawk and many others. There had been barely other crossovers since.
    Spawn and Savage Dragon is probably the most recent from when Erik was writing both titles.

Mighty Member

Yeah it was and those two are the oldest and longest running superheroes from image that came from 90's that survived in that era and since then is still being published in image.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 07-12-2019 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Yeah it was and those two are the oldest and longest running superheroes from image that came from 90's that survived in that era and since then is still being published in image.
    Cyber Force is also currently being published, though i believe the current series is ending soon.

Mighty Member

Yeah that too Witchblade is also still being publish but the current series is ending at 18 issues which makes me wonder about the darkness relaunch being short series. I wonder if top cow and image are gonna relaunch those series again.

What about the current Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl relaunches? Are they in the same universe, at least just the 2 of them?