There's bit of skew towards AARP on these forums. Those in that more mature category have all had the experience:
  • Get on an elevator.
  • Hear an orchestral instrumental of a song your parents were convinced typified the collapse of civilization when you were a teen.
  • Suddenly feel old.

I suspect there are a lot of us with a story about when something in comics shocked us at just how old we were getting.

For me, it really landed hard with Flashpoint. At that moment, it sunk in that Nu52 Superman was as far away in time from Byrne's Post-Crisis Man of Steel reboot as the 1986 reboot had been from the demise of the Justice Society's first run. Worse, it was as far back from my purchase of All-Star Comics #3 Famous First Edition (1975) had been from the initial publication of All-Star Comics #3.

Growing up, I had tended to think of everything predating the DCU as I knew it as ancient literature. In part, that was because back issues were nowhere near as plentiful as they became from the 1990s onward, and there were no digital libraries of the older material. Only the rare and occasional reprint.

Now, not only were the comics I first encountered as a child far enough back to be somebody else's ancient literature, the "cool revisionists" comics of my YA experience were too!