Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    To be fair, two of the three Avengers issues didn't even star the team. One was Squadron Supreme and the other focused on Gorilla Man.
    Issue #18 got a big bump and that was it, #19 was back down again. There was no reaction on it. Thor only saw a bump on one issue and it was probably for a Alex Ross variant. The same guy was writing these two titles and the event, and nothing. Blame it on what you want, but my point was that these huge crossover events are not helping other books. Even if they stank, retailers would have at least ordered higher for the duration of the event, it was only three months.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Were retailers forced to order all of the variants or something? 'Cause if they were not, I don't see how it's a farce. I guess the book could've been overshipped as well, but it was also the #1 book in dollars (when it wasn't even the most expensive book in the top 10), so apparently it DID sell well enough to beat the likes of Batman and Superman. Obviously, we will only really know if the book has any staying power judging by the sales of future issues, but it's definitely an impressive debut for a supporting, antagonist character like Black Cat.
    The Company over ships the books to the stores for free. The retailers are stuck with the shipping and left over comics. Ergo IF the books are not sold in the stores it's a complete farce.

Sidebar, overall units sold is still down and the prices went up. So we have signs of the companies treading water. Shm.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-15-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The Company over ships the books to the stores for free. The retailers are stuck with the shipping and left over comics. Ergo IF the books are not sold in the stores it's a complete farce.
    That's the point I was making. The book was not just the most ordered, it was the most profitable one of the month, going up against a second issue of a DC event, a third issue of a Batman book and a first issue of a Superman book. That obviously has to mean the book had some pretty good sales, so calling its success a farce (which someone here did) doesn't seem very logical, just spiteful.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-15-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    That's the point I was making. The book was not just the most ordered, it was the most profitable one of the month, going up against a second issue of a DC event, a third issue of a Batman book and a first issue of a Superman book. That obviously has to mean the book had some pretty good sales, so calling its success a farce (which someone here did) doesn't seem very logical, just spiteful.
    Unless I missed it somewhere...you nor I can not see how many titles were actually solid in stores. We can factor what store owners stated average based on issues shipped to come up with a round about number, but that is it.

If the issue dropped off significantly by issue two we will know that some funny business went on for sure or not. Not saying that it is or that it isn't a farce( no stance taken) I'm just saying we will know by issue 2.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I don't hope for a comic book to canceled ever, but this is not proof. Plenty of #1s have started high only to be canceled within the year. If you want to have any assurance keep an eye on how it trends up to around issue 5 or 6.
    Yep.Just around other issues (After the third issue i would say) that it can be possible to see how will the comic book be compared to other ones in the comic book sales.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Unless I missed it somewhere...you nor I can not see how many titles were actually solid in stores. We can factor what store owners stated average based on issues shipped to come up with a round about number, but that is it.

If the issue dropped off significantly by issue two we will know that some funny business went on for sure or not. Not saying that it is or that it isn't a farce( no stance taken) I'm just saying we will know by issue 2.
    I have little reason not to think the book was profitable for both Marvel and retailers, as a lot of the variants are ordered due to demand and ratio variants sell for a high enough marked up price to pretty much make any extra issues sold pure profit.

That does not mean some bigger shops won't have tons of these sitting unsold in bins or anything.

What makes it a farce, though, depends on what one thinks the comic book industry should look like and what should measure success. That is, it depends on whether the observer cares more about how much money Marvel can make on variant covers, or whether a book has a large readership.