Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    To me that's complete garbage Marvel pumping out 36 variant covers for Black Cat. What a farce!
    Were retailers forced to order all of the variants or something? 'Cause if they were not, I don't see how it's a farce. I guess the book could've been overshipped as well, but it was also the #1 book in dollars (when it wasn't even the most expensive book in the top 10), so apparently it DID sell well enough to beat the likes of Batman and Superman. Obviously, we will only really know if the book has any staying power judging by the sales of future issues, but it's definitely an impressive debut for a supporting, antagonist character like Black Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Were retailers forced to order all of the variants or something? 'Cause if they were not, I don't see how it's a farce. I guess the book could've been overshipped as well, but it was also the #1 book in dollars (when it wasn't even the most expensive book in the top 10), so apparently it DID sell well enough to beat the likes of Batman and Superman. Obviously, we will only really know if the book has any staying power judging by the sales of future issues, but it's definitely an impressive debut for a supporting, love interest character like Black Cat.
    Fixed for you .

Yeah, she's an anti-hero, not a villain. Antagonist was a poor choice of word there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Fixed for you .
    Well, that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she's an anti-hero, not a villain. Antagonist was a poor choice of word there.
    Antagonist doesn't just refer to villains, though. It's about anyone who opposes the protagonist. Felicia has her good moments, but more than often she is put in a position where she's portrayed as the opponent/adversary of other characters, hence my antagonist description of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Antagonist doesn't just refer to villains, though. It's about anyone who opposes the protagonist. Felicia has her good moments, but more than often she is put in a position where she's portrayed as the opponent/adversary of other characters, hence my antagonist description of her.
    I think that speaks mostly the Queenpin era, which most fans are trying to pretend didn't happen .

The first issue of Silver Surfer: Black was at #3, beating the chart position of Dan Slott's Silver Surfer #1 at #8 back in March 2014.

Astonishing Member

As a comic book reader that have Black Cat in my pull list,last month comic book sales are cool, cause this way i know this comic book wonīt be cancelled anytime soon.
    And my opinion about Black Cat#1 being at number one makes sense to me,itīs not because it had lots of variant covers.That by itself is not enough to have a comic book at number one comic book sold.
    Black Cat being one of the most well known character from the Spider-Man stories that was created in the 70īs and by just having now a ongoing comic book explains to me,to this comic book being the best seling comic book of the month.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 07-15-2019 at 04:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    As a comic book reader that have Black Cat in my pull list,last month comic book sales are cool, cause this way i know this comic book wonīt be cancelled anytime soon.
    And my opinion about Black Cat#1 being at number one makes sense to me,itīs not because it had lots of variant covers.That by itself is not enough to have a comic book at number one comic book sold.
    Black Cat being one of the most well known character from the Spider-Man stories that was created in the 70īs and by just having now a ongoing comic book explains to me,to this comic book being the best seling comic book of the month.
    I don't hope for a comic book to canceled ever, but this is not proof. Plenty of #1s have started high only to be canceled within the year. If you want to have any assurance keep an eye on how it trends up to around issue 5 or 6.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Actual sales numbers have arrived:

http://www.comicbookpage.com/MayoRep...=2019&Month=06

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Yup, pretty solid numbers for Hulk still. A huge gap to the next pack of titles too. There must be an appeal to this book that is not carrying over to other titles, but I think Marvel needs to let this book do its thing and hopefully they don't get greedy and make it the next big event. Look at Age of X-Man. War of the Realms did not help any books, Thor and Avengers are looking low. I am actually worried about Absolute Carnage now as I am not seeing that much sign of pregame hype in sales.

Actually, WOTR did help some books. Look at Squirrel Girl. That doesn't usually sell 10k. And New Agents of Atlas issue 1, in it's SECOND MONTH, outsold issues 3 and 4, which tells me that title was severely underordered and a lot of retailers ordered more copies later.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Actually, WOTR did help some books. Look at Squirrel Girl. That doesn't usually sell 10k. And New Agents of Atlas issue 1, in it's SECOND MONTH, outsold issues 3 and 4, which tells me that title was severely underordered and a lot of retailers ordered more copies later.
    USG issue 43 and 45 are normal numbers as WOTR tie ins, 44 got a spike because of a variant. (edit, I see now the bump with 43/45, I guess let's see if 46 continues, and if 47 sees any carry over, but that if that is the best example of event bump, that is not a good sign)

New Agents of Atlas was completely due to a number of first appearances. All speculation, nothing to do with the event.
    Last edited by cranger; 07-15-2019 at 09:26 AM.

I think nbe the Crux is that the event didn't really help the books it was based on those being Thor and to a lesser extent the Avengers.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel has some odd stuff going on, possibly overshipping or just really, really deep discounts?

For example, take a look around 34th-40th place and the difference in units versus dollars. This may just be Marvel having slightly bigger discounts than DC.

However, take a look at Iron Man 12 (43rd) and Iron Man 13 (46th), both at $3.99, and they switch places in dollars (47th and 44th, respectively).

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I think nbe the Crux is that the event didn't really help the books it was based on those being Thor and to a lesser extent the Avengers.
    To be fair, two of the three Avengers issues didn't even star the team. One was Squadron Supreme and the other focused on Gorilla Man.