Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default June 2019 comics sales

Preliminary data for June 2019 is now available.

Here are the top 10 comics by UNITS ordered by stores. Black Cat 1 was the top comic for June.

1 Black Cat #1 $4.99 Marvel
    2 DCeased #2 $3.99 DC
    3 Silver Surfer: Black #1 $3.99 Marvel
    4 Batman: Damned #3 $6.99 DC
    5 Batman Who Laughs #6 $4.99 DC
    6 Amazing Spider-Man #24 $3.99 Marvel
    7 Immortal Hulk #19 $3.99 Marvel
    8 Walking Dead #192 $3.99 Image
    9 Batman #73 $3.99 DC
    10 Batman #72 $3.99 DC

Here are the top 10 comics by DOLLARS. Black Cat was still #1, and Frank Miller's Superman: Year 1 jumped into the top 10 based on its $8 price.

1 Black Cat #1 $4.99 Marvel
    2 Batman: Damned #3 $6.99 DC
    3 Superman: Year One #1* $7.99 DC
    4 Dceased #2 $3.99 DC
    5 Silver Surfer: Black #1 $3.99 Marvel
    6 Batman Who Laughs #6 $4.99 DC
    7 War of the Realms #6 $5.99 Marvel
    8 Immortal Hulk #19 $3.99 Marvel
    9 Amazing Spider-Man #24 $3.99 Marvel
    10 Walking Dead #192 $3.99 Image

Here are the MARKET SHARE numbers for June.

Marvel 43.38% 48.93%
    DC 26.71% 26.44%
    Image 7.58% 8.01%
    Dark Horse 3.23% 2.16%
    IDW 3.08% 2.83%
    Boom 2.43% 2.31%
    Dynamite 2.15% 2.02%
    Viz 1.61% 0.59%
    Oni 0.74% 0.53%
    Archie 0.57% 0.60%
    Other 8.52% 5.59%

Here is the VOLUME that each company shipped:

Publisher / Comics /GNs / Mags / Total shipped
    Marvel 104 43 0 147
    DC 50 20 1 71
    Image 46 11 0 57
    IDW 30 17 0 47
    Dark Horse 19 22 0 41
    Boom 20 11 0 31
    Dynamite 18 7 0 25
    Viz 0 23 0 23
    Archie 11 2 0 13
    Oni 5 5 0 10
    Other 121 184 18 323
    TOTAL 424 345 19 788

So, while Marvel shipped more than twice as many comics as DC, it did not double DC's Market Share. A lot of this is due to all the True Believers dollar specials and the fact that Marvel publishes a lot of low-selling comics in general whereas DC has cut back on their very low sellers over the last few months.

Anyone else surprised that Black Cat made it all the way to #1? Was it good enough to sustain readership?

Notice Immortal Hulk is still in the Top 10 and outsells every other regular monthly title on the stands except Amazing Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    So, while Marvel shipped more than twice as many comics as DC, it did not double DC's Market Share. A lot of this is due to all the True Believers dollar specials and the fact that Marvel publishes a lot of low-selling comics in general whereas DC has cut back on their very low sellers over the last few months.
    They had 10 True Believers, take them out and Marvel still shipped almost double, so it mostly comes down to the 'low sellers.' Although it is not like DC is not putting them out as the Vertigo/Sandman, Wonder Comics and some other stuff are still being published.
    Anyone else surprised that Black Cat made it all the way to #1? Was it good enough to sustain readership?
    It also had 36 variants or some crazy number I think which means Marvel really pushed it. So I guess it depends on how well the second highest book did, the bar looks a lot lower than, say Catwoman #1 last July which sold around 120K.
    Notice Immortal Hulk is still in the Top 10 and outsells every other regular monthly title on the stands except Amazing Spider-Man.
    This is a pleasant surprise. I still think the numbers are pretty weak for this months top 10, but obviously the book has stabilized. Hopefully Marvel can figure out how to keep that and maybe get a few more books up into that range.

Astonishing Member

To me that's complete garbage Marvel pumping out 36 variant covers for Black Cat. What a farce!

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    To me that's complete garbage Marvel pumping out 36 variant covers for Black Cat. What a farce!
    I'm a fan of the character, so if it helps her book maintain strong numbers, a part of me kind of doesn't mind .

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Are people still gonna say the only reason IH is selling so high is because of speculators?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't see why, Immortal Hulk has been a bit of a surprise hit for Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    As long as you have folks willing to pay for them. It keeps happening. I say that as someone who agrees with you.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Black cat is probably going to have a massive drop off for issue 2, but issue 2 was really good, so it deserves better sales.

I really don't want to see people say it is a junk title that doesn't deserve it's numbers.
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Black cat is probably going to have a massive drop off for issue 2, but issue 2 was really good, so it deserves better sales.

I really don't want to see people say it is a junk title that doesn't deserve it's numbers.
    The interiors are just rough.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    The interiors are just rough.
    Yeah the art is not good, but I enjoyed the story and what it is setting up.
    Baby Thanos

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Are people still gonna say the only reason IH is selling so high is because of speculators?
    Of course they will. People love excuses.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    As a person who said that speculators did, as a fact, contribute to such high sales, I also always pointed out it was a book with a lot of reader buzz as well. A book can have both, but "selling so high" is, yes, due to the speculators. We saw the 90K it spiked to in April, The 87K it slipped to the first issue in May and the 75K it yet again slipped to in the second issue in May. The exact number we don't have for June could it be higher or lower? Let's at least look at real numbers (estimated, of course) before we call out people for pointing out the obvious, as I for one am still curious to see if Batman falls again, and just how much off Superman Year One and Event Leviathan missed out being in the top 10 due to returnability.

Well, as far as Immortal Hulk is concerned, the tactic of using variant covers to boost sales might be forgivable in this case.

It did seem to draw more people's attention to this book, which already had nice sales prior to the variants a few issues ago, and got more people to jump on board.

I say the variant scheme is forgivable because, by all accounts, Immortal Hulk is one of Marvel's better series right now and worthy of the buzz it's been getting. Good books having high sales is always a good thing.

Regarding Black Cat, quite frankly, she was always just a Catwoman knockoff to me, and I'd bet Marv Wolfman, who created her, wouldn't have a problem admitting he was inspired by Selina when he created Felicia.

However, I was just wondering, for those who are Black Cat fans, how is her new book different from anything they could do in a Catwoman comic. They're both catburglars/jewel thieves, right? If I remember correctly, Felicia eventually had a super power in the 1980s, but other than that, is there anything about her, personality-wise, that makes her vastly different than Selina?

Is there anyone who prefers Black Cat to Catwoman? If so, why?
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 07-12-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Wonder what Images percentage is now that Walking Dead is gone?
    In other notes...at the X-MEN forum somebody wrote ..."Congratulations on X-MEN making to number 8. Pretty funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    However, I was just wondering, for those who are Black Cat fans, how is her new book different from anything they could do in a Catwoman comic. They're both catburglars/jewel thieves, right? If I remember correctly, Felicia eventually had a super power in the 1980s, but other than that, is there anything about her, personality-wise, that makes her vastly different than Selina?
    There's not much (if any) difference in the character, but this story is about infiltrating Strange's sanctum sanctorum, which is a very interesting idea to me.
    Baby Thanos