Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default If Not Doom, Who Would You Want as the First FF Movie Villain?

This might be premature since the FF are at least a few year off from their MCU debut, but I thought it'd be nice to posit a scenario. Let's imagine that Doom is off limits as the first movie villain. Who would you want it to be? Galactus is someone you'd have to build up to. So, let's postulate. Personally, I would want to see the Puppet Master and/or Mole Man (as he was the villain of the first ever FF issue). What are your thoughts?

Blastaar, Annihilus, or Mole Man.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I always thought the three incarnations of Kang would be an interesting villain. Rama Tut, Kang, Immortus.

If I were in charge of Marvel I would do a new FF tv show. Ala Daredevil. Perhaps 8 episode seasons. I would plan on crossovers with the movies and the FF appearing in the movies if the need was there. But then you could do so many different storylines. Dr Doom, Mole Man, Namor, the New Fantastic Four for a few episodes, She-Hulk being a member, death and return of Johnny Storm with Spider-man taking his place.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I would do the Mole Man. He was the first villain that The Fantastic Four faced. An he could be a world level threat that could make the FF establish themselves.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I've always been in favor of going back to the beginning and having Mole Man be the first villain. I'm still leaning that way, but I'm becoming more sympathetic to going with Atlantis. I'd like to introduce Namor without it seeming like it's just copying Aquaman and his villainous tendencies is a good way to do that.

If the origin story is The Negative Zone rather than space, I would strongly consider going with Blastaar and Annihilus instead.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I have an idea for the Red Ghost about him manipulating a young Reed Richards into continuing his illegal research on cosmic radiation and thus the Fantastic Four would be created because of the experiments.

If not an origin I would with Psycho-Man

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I would do the Mole Man. He was the first villain that The Fantastic Four faced. An he could be a world level threat that could make the FF establish themselves.
    come here to post this
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Annihilus in the Negative Zone

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I'll join the chorus supporting Mole Man.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    This might be premature since the FF are at least a few year off from their MCU debut, but I thought it'd be nice to posit a scenario. Let's imagine that Doom is off limits as the first movie villain. Who would you want it to be? Galactus is someone you'd have to build up to. So, let's postulate. Personally, I would want to see the Puppet Master and/or Mole Man (as he was the villain of the first ever FF issue). What are your thoughts?
    I'd love to see the Wizard and maybe someone else. Wizard in particular could get jobbed out early on, only to return in the sequel with the Frightful Four.

I think Mad Thinker would also be a really good villain for the first film

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    I'd love to see the Wizard and maybe someone else. Wizard in particular could get jobbed out early on, only to return in the sequel with the Frightful Four.

I think Mad Thinker would also be a really good villain for the first film
    Everybody talk about Spider-man or Batman rogue gallery, but the FF has one of the best rogue gallery of comics. Their only problem is that Doom is so good, dangerous and complex that he overshadows every other villains. But with a good scenario, a scientist antagonist like Mad Thinker, Wizard or even Mole man can be very good.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Everybody talk about Spider-man or Batman rogue gallery, but the FF has one of the best rogue gallery of comics. Their only problem is that Doom is so good, dangerous and complex that he overshadows every other villains. But with a good scenario, a scientist antagonist like Mad Thinker, Wizard or even Mole man can be very good.
    People here keep on saying Wizard is a great villain, I don't think I have heard anyone make an argument here on why they think Wizard is a compelling in the comics or why he would make a good villain for a good movie? Because to me he is a rather one-dimensional jerk villain who has ridiculous reasons for hating the FF, which seemed to have changed for attacking the Human Torch out of boredom to generic jealousy of Reed Richards. Why do you think he is compelling in the comics?

Also, what would Mole Man's motive be in a film, would he be just some Incel psychopath or would he have a sympathetic motive, like trying to save his underground kingdom from fracking?

Also I like Mad thinker, but he is often not written well, he is a hard character to write, but it can be done, like with Peter David did with him in New warriors, but often he is just written as a generic mad scientist and nothing else, I think it would be tricky to make him the villain of a movie, he may work better on a TV show. I like him, but he is tricky to write well.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Doom would really be a natural Avengers villain. He’s Iron Man, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther in one. Throwing all that out at once could seem daunting, but since the MCU set up amazing suits or armor, sorcery, and hidden technologically advanced countries, Doom is perfect.

I’d rather see the FF as a TV series. As much as I love them, they’ve been tried cinematically a few times and I think they’re a damaged movie brand. Daredevil, Punisher, and Ghost Rider all saw satisfying rebirths on the small screen after some poor movie outings. And for their first villain? They could build a season around Galactus.
    But how would the FF work on a TV budget?

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    People here keep on saying Wizard is a great villain, I don't think I have heard anyone make an argument here on why they think Wizard is a compelling in the comics or why he would make a good villain for a good movie? Because to me he is a rather one-dimensional jerk villain who has ridiculous reasons for hating the FF, which seemed to have changed for attacking the Human Torch out of boredom to generic jealousy of Reed Richards. Why do you think he is compelling in the comics?

Also, what would Mole Man's motive be in a film, would he be just some Incel psychopath or would he have a sympathetic motive, like trying to save his underground kingdom from fracking?

Also I like Mad thinker, but he is often not written well, he is a hard character to write, but it can be done, like with Peter David did with him in New warriors, but often he is just written as a generic mad scientist and nothing else, I think it would be tricky to make him the villain of a movie, he may work better on a TV show. I like him, but he is tricky to write well.

But how would the FF work on a TV budget?
    https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/...r-10-episodes/

Mandalorian is getting 100 million for 10 episodes. That may or may not be good. So we will have to see.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

it's somebody that has to be dramatically updated. It can't be campy. The FF can be the more "serious" of the "cosmic" franchises-- the other being the more comedic Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Also, problems need to be solved beyond an explosion at the end.

If it's Mole Man, then the writers have to explain what subterranea is and why it hasn't shown up at all until 2021.
    If Mole Man is used, hopefully he won't be a dwarf. I also don't support Danny DeVito in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    it's somebody that has to be dramatically updated. It can't be campy. The FF can be the more "serious" of the "cosmic" franchises-- the other being the more comedic Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Also, problems need to be solved beyond an explosion at the end.

If it's Mole Man, then the writers have to explain what subterranea is and why it hasn't shown up at all until 2021.
    If Mole Man is used, hopefully he won't be a dwarf. I also don't support Danny DeVito in the role.
    I feel like campy is a good mode for the FF.