Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Batman Universe?

I'm pretty much bored by nearly everything Batman the past few years, with the exception of "The War of Jokes & Riddles," which, unfortunately, did not lead me further on into my hoped-for Batman reawakening, but I picked up the first issue of Universe, and it's not too bad... how do other Batman readers feel about it?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I picked it up yesterday!

I like Nick Derington's art, and was very interested to see Bendis write Batman. I've also been really, really craving a Batman book that wasnt tied to other things and just told modern-y BATMAN stories. I love Batman but don't typically enjoy plot heavy main title stuff, or the endless Joker rehashes.

I actually enjoyed it a lot! I didnt realize Jinny Hex was going to factor into this, and it was fun to meet her. Derington does a really great job laying out the story in a fun and interesting way (loved the bits with Batman just walking around that smalltown).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-13-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I'm pretty much bored by nearly everything Batman the past few years, with the exception of "The War of Jokes & Riddles," which, unfortunately, did not lead me further on into my hoped-for Batman reawakening, but I picked up the first issue of Universe, and it's not too bad... how do other Batman readers feel about it?
    This is the one reprinting the Batman comic book previously sold only at Walmart stores?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Yes I think it's reprinting the Walmart comics, which, out of general dislike for Walmart, I passed on, so I'm glad to have some of the stories (hoping for the Jonah Hex material) in this form. And like Flash, I too have "also been really, really craving a Batman book that wasn't tied to other things and just told modern-y BATMAN stories."
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

We never got the Walmart books in Canada, so I'm glad they're finally being released over here. I like how both this and the Superman one are going really crazy with their stories and blend both a "modern" and "classic" feel. Derrington's art is an extremely appealing fit to this, and Bendis writes a good (albeit not that surprising) Batman.

My one minor gripe (with the release rather than the content itself) is that they're selling these issues for $5, despite them not being the full 30 pages like those priced issues normally are, and instead are just 24 pages. Because of that I think it may be a better deal to get the trades for this, unless you are really curious, which it isn't ultimately a bad deal to pick up the single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    We never got the Walmart books in Canada, so I'm glad they're finally being released over here. I like how both this and the Superman one are going really crazy with their stories and blend both a "modern" and "classic" feel. Derrington's art is an extremely appealing fit to this, and Bendis writes a good (albeit not that surprising) Batman.

My one minor gripe (with the release rather than the content itself) is that they're selling these issues for $5, despite them not being the full 30 pages like those priced issues normally are, and instead are just 24 pages. Because of that I think it may be a better deal to get the trades for this, unless you are really curious, which it isn't ultimately a bad deal to pick up the single issue.
    Can't necessarily count on trades anymore. Can't count on the longevity of DC Universe either but if you're a fan of any DC Comics and are willing to trade-wait, you can instead DCUniverse-wait and pay about $8/month for every single comic they've digitized, including new issues 12 months after the single issues hit the stands.

To answer the original question, I liked #1 a lot. Derrington is always fantastic and I like Bendis's voice well enough here.

I don't suffer from a lack of Batman books I appreciate though, being I can't get enough of King's run. Detective has been weirdly boring to me since Tomasi took over. I usually love his Batman.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Derrington's art is incredible and I dig this Bendis' Batman. A human being. Unfortunately the story does absolutely nothing despite having awesome moments and exploring corners of the DCU you won't find in a Batman title otherwise

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Derrington's art is incredible and I dig this Bendis' Batman. A human being. Unfortunately the story does absolutely nothing despite having awesome moments and exploring corners of the DCU you won't find in a Batman title otherwise
    I have the TPB and I liked it. Not sure where it slots into the bat universe but I'm glad it is Damien free.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riddler123 View Post
    I have the TPB and I liked it. Not sure where it slots into the bat universe but I'm glad it is Damien free.
    Sadly its not a good Riddler story but *fistbump* no Damian

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Pretty much this.
    Good Batman story, great characterization of Bats, nice cameos/team-up and all round fun.
    But self-contained and has nothing to do with the "main" book.

Had one of the coolest battle sequence I’ve seen in a while.

I dug it.

Batman looked like Batman, not an armored vehicle in a cowl. The story started out small and got about as large as possible, and in between we got our hero being the rock steady determined street leveler who would follow a lead wherever it might take him. And it took him all over the DCU, which was hella fun.

My favorite Batman story in years, very refreshing after how he's been characterized in the main continuity stories.

Incredible Member

Nightwing's in his Rebirth suit so as far as continuity goes it's after Cold Days, before Beasts of Burden, and before the start of Justice League's Totality arc due to the presence of Vandal Savage.

However, there is one continuity hiccup. Batman acts like Katar Hol is still alive but he is actually dead at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    But self-contained and has nothing to do with the "main" book.
    That's not exactly a negative...