Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This just gets lazier and lazier. The creators and editors on this should feel ashamed. Ya, what a real “rebirth” we have here with him running on buildings in his black super suit, doing by the numbers typical superhero stuff. Really innovating stuff here from relevant top notch creators, and way different from what he was doing as Nightwing. It’s sad how little they think of the readers here with this display. It’s so pointless and archaic. It’s so blantly clear that there was not one ounce of real thought put into this direction.
    But what a sweet gig for these good old boy protected creators. 5 pages of lazy Ric recap here, which means we will probably get 5 pages of Nightwings recap soon after that, leaving them with having to really only come up with something for the end half. And even then no one really at DC gives a crap about what they do, the quality of their work, or their run’s market performance. So, ya...
    It's not a good book but they had some bad luck with Benjamin Percy leaving early and Eric Esquivel being cancelled just before he was meant to take it over. It is taking them *way* too long to get past all that though. They've been dog-paddling for what feels like a year. And, as much as I appreciate Dan Jurgens, he's a half-measure. I don't think they ever intended for Dick to be "Ric" for so dang long.

DC could use an editor-in-chief.

I get what you are saying, but I’m not sure luck is the right word. It’s mismanagement. Percy wanted nothing to do with their new mandated idea as he just got his run going, and so he got the hell out of dodge. So they then found some last minute, fill in the art, utility guys to do the hit for them, and then haven’t done jack **** to correct or improve the situation despite how awful they have been. Jurgen's crap has been no better, or any less tone deaf, than Lobdell’s and sales continue to just flatline and fall under more and more books. Yet for all its blatant mismanagement troubles, and it’s clearly poor response, Ric could very well be on its way to lasting longer then Grayson with still no end in sight. What the hell does that say. And the fact that they even wanted to pair Lobdell with Esquivel just shows there is something rotten in that office.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-14-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    It's not a good book but they had some bad luck with Benjamin Percy leaving early and Eric Esquivel being cancelled just before he was meant to take it over. It is taking them *way* too long to get past all that though. They've been dog-paddling for what feels like a year. And, as much as I appreciate Dan Jurgens, he's a half-measure. I don't think they ever intended for Dick to be "Ric" for so dang long.

DC could use an editor-in-chief.
    I've read in Deathstroke tread that Priest wanted to write Nightwing, but they refused. So it's not bad luck. We all know we're waiting for something to happen (City of Bane? Year of the Villains? King's run to end?) before getting rid of Ric, but everything could have been handled much better than that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.H. View Post
    I've read in Deathstroke tread that Priest wanted to write Nightwing, but they refused. So it's not bad luck. We all know we're waiting for something to happen (City of Bane? Year of the Villains? King's run to end?) before getting rid of Ric, but everything could have been handled much better than that.
    Would've been great for bringing back the NW vs DS feud

I can't defend DC on this. Was just saying they tried to put a very strong writer on it in Esquivel before people knew enough to be rightfully repulsed by him.

Quote Originally Posted by L.H. View Post
    This is so disappointing to learn. There's no DC book right now that needs help from a great writer than Nightwing and I have Priest as one of the very best writers at DC. This is heartbreaking. Dan DiDio can't leave soon enough.

Ugh they straight up ripped the Grayson's deaths/designs/placement from ASBAR. Why remind me of another horrible book in an already horrible book? Are they trying to use it as a smoke screen to distract me from how bad the current run is?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I can't defend DC on this. Was just saying they tried to put a very strong writer on it in Esquivel before people knew enough to be rightfully repulsed by him.

This is so disappointing to learn. There's no DC book right now that needs help from a great writer than Nightwing and I have Priest as one of the very best writers at DC. This is heartbreaking. Dan DiDio can't leave soon enough.
    Agreed. The Ric crap would have been a perfect set up for Priest, 'cause he said he wanted to reinvent the character. I'm still hoping we can have him on the book, soon or later.

I really can't believe how horrible that was.

That will be 11 issues without reading and 10 issues without buying Nightwing so far.
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member

Its actually also really heartbreaking because this volume started out so promising under Tim Seeley. It was actually one of DC's best titles. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Its actually also really heartbreaking because this volume started out so promising under Tim Seeley. It was actually one of DC's best titles. What happened?
    Editorial.

AKA what usually ruins good DC books.

The book has been in creator hell as soon as Seeley left. The editors on Nightwing seemingly had no clue what to do after the first creator on a series wants to move on. I’d say they should be embarrassed by how they dealt with that, but I doubt they even care.

Feels like nothing has happened, neither in this issue, nor in the others which i skipped and appearently don't need at all.
    Bea and Dick was passable, i like their relationship but not how the character is used. She should be the reason to Dick's denial. She should tell him, he didn't put crime fighting behind him at all.

Why did he have to be Ric for all this? He behaves like Dick in this issue. It nearly seems as if Dick is just playing pretend, which might be the point of all this but... yeah, execusion.

Incredible Member

The issue wasn’t bad. It was more of a set up issue. It’s a step in the right direction with Talon returning. The storyline with the COA has promise.

Why did he have to be Ric for all this?
    My impression is to get him out of the way for whatever King was/is doing with Batman. A great disservice to Nightwing, of course (theoretically possibly with real-world consequences if NW comic numbers drop enough), but that's my impression. If so, I hope he can get over it before King's run finishes. I may be way off base, though, since I often get the impression King doesn't think Bruce's kids matter very much. I mean, I like the idea of BatCat (though I don't think it's been done well here), but it does at times seem like she's been made the only really important or possibly supportive person in Bruce's life, and that's just wrong. Then again, at least right now you can't much blame the others for staying away, given how he's treated them.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    My impression is to get him out of the way for whatever King was/is doing with Batman. A great disservice to Nightwing, of course (theoretically possibly with real-world consequences if NW comic numbers drop enough), but that's my impression. If so, I hope he can get over it before King's run finishes. I may be way off base, though, since I often get the impression King doesn't think Bruce's kids matter very much. I mean, I like the idea of BatCat (though I don't think it's been done well here), but it does at times seem like she's been made the only really important or possibly supportive person in Bruce's life, and that's just wrong. Then again, at least right now you can't much blame the others for staying away, given how he's treated them.
    Nah. The shooting of Dick was to make Batman mad, sad, and bad, but King was ready to use Zatanna to cure Dick. The shooting plot could've gone only as far as Batman hunting KGBeast, then Dick will be back in Bludhaven as Nightwing while Batman continues his downward spiral, but DC wanted Ric Grayson. Should Ric never happened, Dick will be joining the rest of the fam watching Tim get punched. Then, along with the rest of the fam, got cut off from Gotham during City of Bane.