Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default List of DC Comics' female superheroes.

Out of curiosity, I decided to build a list of DC Comics' female superheroes and this is the list so far. Feel free to point out anyone I missed:

1930s - Red Tornado, Rose Psychic

1940s - Black Canary, Gimmick Girl, Hawkgirl, Liberty Belle, Miss X, Superwoman, Wonder Woman

1950s - Aquagirl, Batwoman, Carol Ferris, Lady Blackhawk, Saturn Girl, Supergirl, Wonder Girl

1960s - Dawn Allen, Arrowette, Batgirl, Dolphin, Dream Girl, Dumb Bunny, Elasti-Girl, Element Girl, Gas Girl, Hawkwoman, Insect Queen, Katma Tui, Life Lass, Lightning Lass, Madame .44, Marvel Maid, Mera, Night Girl, Phantom Girl, Princess Projectra, Shadow Lass, Shrinking Violet, Strong Girl, Triplicate Girl, White Witch, Wind Lass, Zatanna

1970s - Big Barda, Black Orchid, Bumblebee, Celsius, Dawnstar, Duela Dent, Fire, Godiva, Icemaiden, Isis, Jayna, Jezebelle, Laurel Kent, Little Mermaid, Madame Xanadu, Omen, Owlwoman, Power Girl, Rima, Silver Sorceress, Thorn, Valentina Vostok, Helena Wayne

1980s - Amethyst, Helena Bertinelli, Black Thorn, Chameleon Girl, Beth Chapel, Betty Clawman, Comet Queen, Crazy Jane, Crimson Fox, Doctor Light, Fury, Gloss, Gypsy, Halo, Harbinger, Ice, Jade, Jet, Lodestone, Katana, Carrie Kelley, Kole, Kono, Lady Liberty, Lady Quark, Looker, Maxima, Onyx, Raven, Danette Reilly, Holly Robinson, Arisia Rrab, Shakira, Silk Spectre, Dorothy Spinner, Starfire, Terra, Valda, Vixen, Wildcat

1990s - Anima, Argent, Artemis, Boodikka, Stephanie Brown, Laurel Gand, Beryl Hutchinson, Inferno, Natasha Irons, Kinetix, Kismet, Lightning, Maya, Mirage, Monstress, Renee Montoya, Lori Morning, Neon, Nightstar, Pantha, Prysm, Jesse Quick, Redwing, Rocket, Secret, Sensor, Sparx, Stargirl, Thunder, Tomorrow Woman, Patricia Trayce, XS

2000s - Black Alice, Bombshell, Sasha Bordeaux, Bulleteer, Grace Choi, Cyclone, Manitou Dawn, Empress, Faith, Fever, Misfit, Miss Martian, Soranik Natu, Jenna Raleigh, Sapphire, Sonia Sato, Sayd, Skyrocket, Thara Ak-Var, Traci 13, Warlock's Daughter, Wildstar, Witchfire

2010s - Aquawoman, Bluebird, Crush, Jessica Cruz, Deep Dweller, Djinn, Emiko Queen, Janet Fals, Jinny Hex, Naomi McDuffie, Mother Panic, Serene, The Silencer, Solstice, Strix, Teen Lantern, Timber, Linnya Wazzo, Ya'Wara

Acquired use:

Charlton Comics - Nightshade

Fawcett Comics - Bulletgirl, Freckles Marvel, Mary Marvel

Quality Comics - Doll Girl, Lady Luck, Miss America, Miss Fear, Phantom Lady, Wildfire
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 07-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.

There's also Crush and Djinn for the 2010s (newest Teen Titans).

May have missed her, but I didn't see Artemis Grace (Amazon of the Bana Migdall tribe) there either.

1970s - Huntress (Helena Wayne), Duela Dent

1980s - Magenta

1990s - Mirage, Vigilante (Patricia Trayce), Squire (Beryl Hutchinson), Jesse Quick

2000s - Tarantula (Catalina Flores)

2010s - Starling, Mother Panic
    Last edited by Twice-named; 07-13-2019 at 08:46 PM.

1960s - Do you want to include one-off characters? If so, we can include a few that Grant Morrison recently brought back in Green Lantern.
    - Marvel Maid (Lea Lindy of Terra from Action 272)
    - Superwoman (Luma Lynai of Staryl from Action Comics 289)
    - Strong Woman (Marta of Thronn from Green Lantern 32)
    - Windlass of Marr (World's Finest 163)

1970s -
    - Lilith Clay of Teen Titans
    - The Thorn (as in Rose & Thorn)
    - Jezebelle of the New Gods (from Gerry Conway's "Return of..." series)
    - Also, if you're going to include the 1970s Isis as a DC heroine, you can include Rima as well.

1980s -
    - Doctor Midnight (Beth Chapel of Infinity, Inc.)
    - Maxima

2000s -
    - Manhunter (Kate Spencer)
    - Judomaster (Sonia Sato of Birds of Prey)
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 07-13-2019 at 06:33 PM.

What about characters like Phantom Lady, Doll Girl, and Mary Marvel that were originally created by other comic book companies but were later acquired by DC?

And don't forget a 1980s creation: Firebrand (Danette Reilly)

Extraordinary Member

Miss America
    Little Mermaid
    Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders)

Retired

What about women who were crooks that turned good, like Molly Mayne aka Harlequin and Selena Kyle aka Catwoman, in the 1940s?

There was Batgirl (Babs) in the 1960s yes, but there was also Bat-Girl (Betty).

Technically Vixen first appeared in the 1970s--her book was cancelled at the last minute--but she appeared in ads.

If you count western heroes there was Madame .44 (the costumed identity of Jeanne Walker) in the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Technically Vixen first appeared in the 1970s--her book was cancelled at the last minute--but she appeared in ads.
    Yep. Vixen first appeared in 1978.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Retired

Also in the 1960s was the Enchantress (June Moon, who was originally a hero), Platinum of the Metal Men (if robots count), Dumb Bunny of the Inferior Five--and Tula the Aquagirl appeared in 1967 not in the 1950s.

Extraordinary Member

Life Lass and Gas Girl from the Heroes of Lallor

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What about characters like Phantom Lady, Doll Girl, and Mary Marvel that were originally created by other comic book companies but were later acquired by DC?
    I wasn't quite sure if I should have counted the female superheroes DC acquired from Charlton Comics, Fawcett Comics, Quality Comics, and WildStorm. I don't know, there was something about combining DC's created characters with acquired characters that didn't seem quite "right" to me, but now that you mention it, on second thought, perhaps I should add them.

Would you consider all of these people to be DC superheroines?:

Charlton Comics:

Galaxy Gals
    Miss Muscles
    Nature Girl
    Nightshade
    Zaza the Mystic

Fawcett Comics:

Bulletgirl
    Freckles Marvel
    Mary Marvel

Quality Comics:

Betty Bates
    Butch
    Corsair Queen
    Doll Girl
    Lady Luck
    Margo the Magician
    Miss America
    Phantom Lady
    Spider Widow
    Two-Gun Lil
    USA
    Wildfire

WildStorm:

Backlash
    Copycat
    Cybernary
    Diva
    Engineer
    Fahrenheit
    Caitlin Fairchild
    Flint
    Freefall
    Freestyle
    Ladytron
    Mother-one
    Nemesis
    Jenny Quantum
    Sarah Rainmaker
    Rose Tattoo
    Savant
    Jenny Sparks
    Sublime
    Swift
    Synergy
    Taboo
    Void
    Voodoo
    Zealot
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 07-13-2019 at 11:53 PM.

In the 90's there was also Cassandra Cain (Batgirl II and Orphan, if I'm not mistaken).

More recently, there has been ;
    Honor Guest (The Silencer)
    Janet Fals (Firebrand)
    Naomi McDuffie
    Kana (Deep Dweller)
    Kho Gharda (Serene)
    Keshena Carpentier (Timber)
    Linnya Wazzo (Phantom Girl of the 21st Century)
    Jinny Hex
    Keli Quintela (Teen Lantern)

Of those not mentioned so far:

60s - Bette Kane (Bat-Girl, later Flamebird)
    90s - Both of the Cassandras
    10s - Ya'Wara

Do anti-heroines like the Secret Six ladies (Scandal Savage, Jeanette, Knockout) count?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I wasn't quite sure if I should have counted the female superheroes DC acquired from Charlton Comics, Fawcett Comics, Quality Comics, and WildStorm. I don't know, there was something about combining DC's created characters with acquired characters that didn't seem quite "right" to me, but now that you mention it, on second thought, perhaps I should add them.

Would you consider all of these people to be DC superheroines?:

Charlton Comics:

Galaxy Gals
    Miss Muscles
    Nature Girl
    Nightshade
    Zaza the Mystic

Fawcett Comics:

Bulletgirl
    Freckles Marvel
    Mary Marvel

Quality Comics:

Betty Bates
    Butch
    Corsair Queen
    Doll Girl
    Lady Luck
    Margo the Magician
    Miss America
    Phantom Lady
    Spider Widow
    Two-Gun Lil
    USA
    Wildfire

WildStorm:

Backlash
    Copycat
    Cybernary
    Diva
    Engineer
    Fahrenheit
    Caitlin Fairchild
    Flint
    Freefall
    Freestyle
    Ladytron
    Mother-one
    Nemesis
    Jenny Quantum
    Sarah Rainmaker
    Rose Tattoo
    Savant
    Jenny Sparks
    Sublime
    Swift
    Synergy
    Taboo
    Void
    Voodoo
    Zealot
    It depends on if/how much they were incorporated intro the main DC universe as to whether I'd count them or not.

Definitely Nightshade from Charlton; I don't know where the others from that company may or may not have appeared under DC.

From Fawcett, definitely Mary Marvel, and even Bulletgirl has shown up in a few stories. Can't remember if "Freckles Marvel" has appeared anywhere besides maybe in reprints.

For Quality; Doll Girl, Miss America, and Phantom Lady.
    I'm not sure if "Lady Luck" was acquired by DC since, like The Spirit, she was a Will Eisner character who first appeared in The Spirit Sunday sections of newspapers. I know DC intended to use her, and even used a character called "Lady Luck" in a New52 Phantom Stranger story, but I don't know if DC has the rights to that character at present. (As for "Wildfire", DC hadn't used her originally because they already had a male character with that name in the Legion of Super-Heroes.)
    Also not sure if the others you mentioned from Quality were ever used by DC or not (yet).

Not familiar enough with Wildstorm to list who has or hasn't crossed over into any sort of regular usage under DC.