Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Warming to Bendis.

Still not mad on some of his creative choices on the 'Superman' titles, also a bit 'hit n' miss for me, the storytelling in those lines, but 'Young Justice' really enjoying and just read 'Batman: Universe' #1 that was really great. Could see it in my mind's eye as a animated feature or 'live action film, the way it panned out. Both the visuals and dialogue. My opinion is Bendis would be better on the 'Batman' title than 'Superman.'
    Last edited by Franny6422; 07-14-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Read this title as "Warning to Bendis" and my fear turned to pleasant surprise!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Don’t like what he did with Jon, but the stuff spinning out of his run, and the talent that is accompanying him. I do like that. Leviathan also I’m digging.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

Leviathan is a joke. And thankfully it blew up in DC's faces.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

One or two creative choices aside, I'm loving his DC work. Plus, between Wonder Comics and getting his talented friend to work on the Super titles, he is responsible for a large portion of my DC pull list in general.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I don't read everything he's done for DC this far, Leviathan wasn't for me and I'm disappointed but mostly indifferent to his Jon choices, but with Naomi and Young Justice he's making the right moves and addressing things that DC's been letting slide. I would've loved if he were able to use Static like he wanted to but the homage to Dwayne Mcduffie in Naomi was sweet and maybe one day this Milestone debacle will be sorted out and he'll get his wish. I think so far while he has been hit or miss, he's had more big hits than misses.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm not reading his Superman stuff, but his Young Justice has been fun and Event Leviathan has kept my interest.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

His Young Justice is great and I hear even greater things about Naomi so I'll give that a read when I get the chance.

Buuuuut...having read a good bit of his Superman run before quitting, I'm no longer reading anything he writes that features Clark, Jon, or Lois. I don't even wanna read Damian and Jon's reunion or Jon meeting Conner if he's writing those. He's pretty much up there with Morrison's take on Talia Al Ghul in terms of "Holy ****, what have you done?" XD

Yeah, his Young Justice has been pretty good, but I cringed when he inserted his usual Bendis-speak to some of the Kingdom Come characters in the latest issue.

I've really enjoyed Action, but Superman is nowhere near as good... IMO. Maybe when the Unity Saga finally -- finally -- ends, we'll see some improvement.

Haven't read Naomi, but I'll probably get the trade whenever Comixology puts it on sale.

Event Leviathan... it's not possible for me to care less about Jason Todd/Red Hood, so I don't have the same misgivings that some of his fans on the Batman board have shared about how he was written in #2. So far, this is shaping up like most of his Marvel events: it's starting OK. The problem I'm not able to get out of my head is that all -- literally all -- of his Marvel events ended with a giant thud. I don't feel he stuck the landing on any of them. So I'm setting myself up for disappointment, hoping to be wrong. But, to his credit, Leviathan Rising over in Action, the Leviathan one-shot, and the first two issues of Event Leviathan have kept me intrigued.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I like all his stuff. Except the second arc of Action.

But the best stuff about him is the talent he brought with him. He really rejuvenated the Superman family of books, he created good new characters in YJ and Naomi. He is bringing back the Legion of Super heroes, with an Ultimate marvel twist and he took it upon himself to clean DC of all the mediocre spy organizations which don't offered much . Hopefully something equivalent to Shield will span out of it.

All written well, with great artists elevating most titles.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I like all his stuff. Except the second arc of Action.

But the best stuff about him is the talent he brought with him. He really rejuvenated the Superman family of books, he created good new characters in YJ and Naomi. He is bringing back the Legion of Super heroes, with an Ultimate marvel twist and he took it upon himself to clean DC of all the mediocre spy organizations which don't offered much . Hopefully something equivalent to Shield will span out of it.

All written well, with great artists elevating most titles.
    Superman family of books didn't need rejuvenating, they are worse now with Bendis involved. And bringing in an Ultimate Marvel twist and consolidating DC organizations hoping they're replaced by something like SHIELD? So in other words he's making DC into Marvel? No thanks

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurCurry View Post
    Superman family of books didn't need rejuvenating, they are worse now with Bendis involved. And bringing in an Ultimate Marvel twist and consolidating DC organizations hoping they're replaced by something like SHIELD? So in other words he's making DC into Marvel? No thanks
    It did.we got a lois book and jimmy book like the old days because of bendis. The only thing he has missed the mark on are jon, characterisation for the superfamily itself.We also lost supersons book. Otherwise, bendis has done some good things. He is genuinely trying to build a world around superman. He has for the most part. Every book that has bendis influence is connected to either of the superbooks. He is trying make superman important in the mythos.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It did.we got a lois book and jimmy book like the old days because of bendis. The only thing he has missed the mark on are jon, characterisation for the superfamily itself.We also lost supersons book. Otherwise, bendis has done some good things. He is genuinely trying to build a world around superman. He has for the most part. Every book that has bendis influence is connected to either of the superbooks. He is trying make superman important in the mythos.
    We got a Lois book that's, based on the first issue, about current day politics which I can do without. We got a Jimmy book that is going to be typical Matt Fraction.

"The only thing he missed the mark on are jon, characterisation of the superfamily itself." That sounds like an awful lot to miss the mark on.

"Every book that has bendis influence is connected to either of the superbooks." Except Superman and Action Comics have failed to show how they're connected in continuity to each other.

Before Bendis we got a Super Sons books which had a ton of heart and was the launching pad to stardom of one of DC's top artists- Jimenez. We also had the introduction of Jon Kent, one of DC's best new characters. Those are the things that rejuvenated Superman. Bendis took Jon and aged him up and took a lot away from.

He didn't rejuvenate anything, he made it worse. He's been writing for a year now (around 30 total issues written), it's safe to declare his tenure as lackluster which many people are and have been saying. Bendis apologists have been stanning hard for him since Day 1. When Bendis eventually leaves the title his stuff will be memory wiped like John Byrne's (except Byrne is actually a good writer), and it can't happen soon enough. Bendis at DC is like when an MLB team signs a 40 year old veteran who had a good season 10 years ago to a long term contract.

I'm not going to convince you Bendis is a bad writer I know that, and you're not going to convince me that his stuff is good. And it's almost guaranteed the same five or so Bendis fans here will continually try to prove he's amazing or we need to give him more time. But to say he rejuvenated Superman is out of whack with the reality of Superman before Bendis.

That's honestly why I feel so bad about hating his run of Superman. For as much as I don't enjoy it. For as much as I believe Bendis doesn't understand why people loved Jon and the Superfamily as a whole. And even though I believe Bendis single handedly turned Lois and Clark into some of the most incompetent and unfit parents in fictional history...there has never been a time where I got the feeling that he didn't care. He really is trying to reinvent Superman. Just from listening to interviews, he seems VERY excited and proud of what he's done, and sticks by everything. Even the unpopular choices (unfortunately). And as much as I dislike the ways he's doing it, as much as I've **** talked him in the past (and will continue to do so), I gotta respect his ambition. Dude is a straight up Slytherin xD
    Last edited by Blue22; 07-15-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm currently really enjoying YJ, Action, Event Leviathan, and Batman Universe. They're all great!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.