Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

I have to say I have enjoyed almost all DC stuff I've read from Bendis... Action, Supes, Leviathan, even Batman Universe. Solid stuff.

Of Bendis’s work on Superman, I have very similar feelings as I do with Zack Snyder’s Superman. Not that those two versions are in anyway similar on a surface level, but quality wise I see them both as messes with mishandled potential. Oh I believe and appreciate that both were/are genuinely passionate about the characters and had interesting ideas for the character’s world. Which is why it’s a shame that the stories themselves are so goddamn stupid. Though funnily enough both takes involve jump the shark moments where Clark makes a stupid decision involving the safety of a relative of his named Jonathan. I’m about as accepting of Clark letting his dad get sucked into a tornado as I am with him letting his son go on a trip with Mr. Oz. And like those godawful movies, there are a lot of defenders. And while everyone is entitled to their opinions and I’m not disputing that many of these fans have valid reasons for liking these stories. But like the Snyder movies, a few years from now, I doubt these comics will be remembered particularly fondly.

Fantastic Member

The consensus does seem to be that his 'Superman' handling is some what 'wanting' his other work is generally being appreciated.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I’m totally a DC guy so I never read anything by Bendis before Young Justice.
    And I liked his way of writing.
    So I decided to give him a cahance even on Superman, also because there’s so little books I like today.
    And for the moment I’m enjoying his story. I’d never aged Jon but maybe he has a reason to do it, we’ll see...

I dislike Bendis, hated what happened with Supes.. but Leviathan, I will admit, has caught my attention and so far, enjoying it.
    Check out some Podcasts:
    - Crisis in the DC RPG Podcast - Podcast about Mayfair's DC Heroes RPG and Comic reviews.
    - The Classic FASERIP Podcast - Podcast about TSR's Marvel Superheroes RPG

Am I the only person who's enjoying what he's doing with Superman?
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    The Superman title? Cosmic stuff really isn't my thing, so I can't comment on that since I decided to sit that one out. Action Comics, though? Yeah, I'm loving that book.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Not at all. I've really enjoyed Action. His Superman has been tougher for me to get into, but it's not awful. I just feel the Unity Saga is dragging on and on, especially when you add the Man of Steel mini-series to it.

Haven't bought or read anything from him since House of M.

Yes, i do am stubborn.

Mighty Member

Young Justice has been fun, though it has had some pacing issues.

Action Comics has been good with a lot of interesting ideas, but the occasional really bad issue (Action 1004).

Superman, though, has been absolutely horrendous and not just because of the Jon age-up (which was a terrible decision). The title has seen characters making decisions based on plot needs rather than logic, a incredibly dull villain, out-of-character characters (J'onn suggesting Supes take over the world for some reason), tons of inconsistencies, some insanely crappy dialogue, and severe decompression. The sooner Bendis is off it, the better.
    Last edited by Sam; 07-17-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Nope, I'm largely loving it.

I actually really like his take on Lois (yes, even with Bendis-speak) and has largely gotten Clark nailed down too. There are flaws, to be sure, but his Action Comics has been almost entirely great and his Superman is more good than bad. Plus, even though not everything works, I certainly appreciate that he has been willing to bring a new spin to the Superman mythos, while still remaining faithful to the core of the character. I even like the idea of Krypton being murdered - for now, at least - as it actually makes Superman's stories even more Moses-like after years of other writers trying to turn him into a Christ figure.

The one thing that really puzzles me, though, is Lois' living situation. It's not actually a big deal as her and Clark's relationship is as strong as ever and, for Superman, flying to another city is like going to the next room but, aside for saying that their marriage is a bit quirkier than most (more booty calls, for a start!), I don't see the point.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.