View Poll Results: Can Jean & Emma Be Friends?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

59 43.38%
  • No

77 56.62%
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Can Jean & Emma Be Friends?

Spinning this subject out of the Jean Grey thread to give it one of its own...

Can Jean and Emma be friends? Pointing out that they had a fun, snarky good girl/bad girl dynamic (or, as it came off to me, big sister/little sister) during Morrison's run, a number of posters are enamored of the idea of Jean and Emma becoming friends, or at least respected colleagues and acquaintances. In an interview, writer and die-hard Emma fan Leah Williams alluded to the idea, too.

I don't think they can. Not as long as Scott's alive, anyway. Being friends, or even friendly, with her husband's mistress would be absurd and out of character for Jean. She and Scott didn't have an open marriage. The affair with Emma destroyed their marriage. Adultery is among the rawest, most painful forms of betrayal. That's not something Jean--or most people--would ever just get over. Emma's mere presence will always be a reminder.

I can see them working together when necessary. Reluctant allies. That sort of thing. And, had Scott stayed dead permanently, I could see them potentially bonding a bit over the loss of him. But, while he's alive and available, they're competitors. To each other, they will always be The Other Woman.

Jean has every reason to hate Emma's guts, but, being the generous soul that she is, I can see her forgiving Emma. Just not forgetting. Ever. Friendship is just a bridge too far.

What do you think?

Yes, because they are cartoons who could do anything, but no, because that would be boring.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

No, they can't be. Emma never felt sorry for what she did to Jean, and whole Jean was dead lal she did was antagonize dead Jean.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

No, I don't think they can even if Scott is out of the equation or with other woman and they with other men.

This thread is going to end so bad.

If Spider-Man and Wolverine can be friends despite HUGE differences in morality I don't see why not.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If Spider-Man and Wolverine can be friends despite HUGE differences in morality I don't see why not.
    MJ didn't cheat Peter with Wolverine

No, if you base it on how real life females behave in their situation. In fiction anything is possible though, even if nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I'm not quite sure if consider then friends, for a long time they were more like uneasy allies with some level of respect for eacth other. Things changed after that 2010 mini with Aaron/Kubert; but even then after all that journey was over they pretty much avoid each other as much possible even when they gained new a understanding about thenselves.

For another side, Peter has a 50 issue series with Deadpool of all people (who is even worse than Wolverine), so maybe i'm reading him wrong.
    Last edited by TheCape; 07-14-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

No, It woul be pretty damm stupid. Emma should stop annoying Jean and go ruin another relationship. I have heard that Gambit is married, she could help his marriage too.

Author dude, for a Cyclops fan you love to shoot yourself on the foot don't you?.
    Expect pages of people crapping on Cyclops because this is exactly what you asked.

Jean is actually the biggest Scemma shipper of all as evidenced by the canon fact that without her interference they wouldn't stay together at the end of Morrison's run, so ofc

Astonishing Member

No but, Emma and maddie can be friends.

Maybe not friends but maybe bitter acquaintances that clearly respect each other? I enjoyed the snarky banter they had in Hopeless’ Jean Grey solo.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

No. For the same reason Wolverine & Creed would never be friends. Hell, Wolverine hated the Exiles Creed, whom he has no history with simply because it's Creed. lol

So no. I don't think Jean x Emma can ever been friends when she screwed her husband just to spite her, and seems proud of it because it worked out well for her. "Your nightmare was my love story."

And I think only an Emma stan writer would go that route.

I don't think they can be friends but respected colleagues, yes.
    After all, they have powers that are rather similar, both know Scott, they are mutants…

But no friends. Because, for all her bravado, Emma, in my opinion, has an inferiority complex towards Jean, the first love of the man she loves.
    Jean alive, Emma will always be jealous and afraid that Scott comes back to Jean and be definitively lost to her.

Jealousy contains more of self-love than of love. J.d.L.
    Maybe if both Emma and Jean move on about Scott…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

If Jean can be friends with Bishop, work well with Magneto and forgive Black Bolt, yes, she can be friends with Emma. Her moral compass is all over the place if we go by past deeds. And whoever comes up with the "but the affair was more personal", please don't bother. Because I'm sure none of you would, when faced with the choice between the person who your significant other cheated you with, and a dude who nuked a city you don't care about in the Middle East, choose to become buddies with the second one.

But I agree with Snoop and Maestroneto, as usual, that they should never be friends, because that would be freaking boring.