Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Factor Vol 1 + X-Terminators —Thoughts?

A couple months ago I decided to work my way through x-factor from the beginning, something I’d always itched to do but found a tad daunting. Anyways, first few issues were more or less forgettable but once the Simonsons took it over I really got sucked in. Something about the constant brooding melodrama played against absurd-yet-gritty (distinctly 80s ) and brutally rendered in the best way possible through Walt’s pencils...I’m rambling but point is I was hooked.

I read up to the point of inferno and decided to check out the X-terminators limited since I’d grown to like the kiddos, specifically Skids, Boom-Boom and rictor. I wasn’t really feeling it though, aside from a few fun moments the whole thing felt rushed (only 4 issues but still), Simonson’s writing and whoever was penciling (Bogdanove?) didn’t have the same je ne sais quoi as the main series imo. I kinda fell out of my binge but I’m just recently coming back to it.

I was wondering what other readers who follow the xmen think about these books? I get the sense that the concept behind it (original team + they’re posing as an anti-mutant group for reasons?) isn’t particularly popular seeing as I don’t see them come up often in discussion and not many of the younger crop seem to have taken off aside from boom-boom and rictor (I read somewhere skids joined SHIELD, big wtf moment). I was shocked that iconic characters and storylines like Apocalypse/Archangel debuted here because they always seem to be adapted in wildly different contexts, though to be fair the actual context in the books is pretty much tangled in complications that a cartoon wouldn’t want to get into..
    Anyways, sorry for the barrage of text, feel free to share your thoughts they’re much appreciated
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 07-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.

The original context of Pooky was that he was going to be a pimped-out Nosferatu version of the Owl. The Daredevil villain.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Wiz Kid is preeeeeetty damn boss

I'm not a fan of Louise Simonson's writing on that run. The melodrama was excessive and Jott came across as unlikable IMHO.

Still, the Mutant Massacre and Fall of Mutants tie ins were awesome. The slowly introduction of the horsemen and Warren's arc were incredible. It's one of my favorite storylines of all time.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Once Simonson takes over, it's as good, and quite often better, than Uncanny. FoM specially: there's a reason no one uses The Adversary after it, but Apocalypse is such an essential character.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I'm not a fan of Louise Simonson's writing on that run. The melodrama was excessive and Jott came across as unlikable IMHO.
    Personally, I thought it was fine. I found it moderately good compared to what was going on with the X-Books during the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Still, the Mutant Massacre and Fall of Mutants tie ins were awesome. The slowly introduction of the horsemen and Warren's arc were incredible. It's one of my favorite storylines of all time.
    Agreed, and my favorite period as well. Also, appearances from Walt Simonson's Thor were a nice bonus.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-27-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Once Simonson takes over, it's as good, and quite often better, than Uncanny. FoM specially: there's a reason no one uses The Adversary after it, but Apocalypse is such an essential character.
    The Adversary has been used several times. He was in X-Factor, Cable and X-Force and most recently Black Panther last year

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Wiz Kid is preeeeeetty damn boss
    Whiz Kid negotiating organic snacks and diapers with a demon will forever be my favorite bit of Simonson's writing!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The Adversary has been used several times. He was in X-Factor, Cable and X-Force and most recently Black Panther last year
    I meant "hardly" uses him. The point still stands, he's hardly the most memorable, while Apocalypse becomes an essential part of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Whiz Kid negotiating organic snacks and diapers with a demon will forever be my favorite bit of Simonson's writing!
    lol Yesss Taki was getting the real work DUUNE.
    babysits, demon wrangle, sells bootleg DVDs, and hair all from his wheelchair... Taki don't take no sh!t either

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    A couple months ago I decided to work my way through x-factor from the beginning, something I’d always itched to do but found a tad daunting. Anyways, first few issues were more or less forgettable but once the Simonsons took it over I really got sucked in. Something about the constant brooding melodrama played against absurd-yet-gritty (distinctly 80s ) and brutally rendered in the best way possible through Walt’s pencils...I’m rambling but point is I was hooked.

I read up to the point of inferno and decided to check out the X-terminators limited since I’d grown to like the kiddos, specifically Skids, Boom-Boom and rictor. I wasn’t really feeling it though, aside from a few fun moments the whole thing felt rushed (only 4 issues but still), Simonson’s writing and whoever was penciling (Bogdanove?) didn’t have the same je ne sais quoi as the main series imo. I kinda fell out of my binge but I’m just recently coming back to it.

I was wondering what other readers who follow the xmen think about these books? I get the sense that the concept behind it (original team + they’re posing as an anti-mutant group for reasons?) isn’t particularly popular seeing as I don’t see them come up often in discussion and not many of the younger crop seem to have taken off aside from boom-boom and rictor (I read somewhere skids joined SHIELD, big wtf moment). I was shocked that iconic characters and storylines like Apocalypse/Archangel debuted here because they always seem to be adapted in wildly different contexts, though to be fair the actual context in the books is pretty much tangled in complications that a cartoon wouldn’t want to get into..
    Anyways, sorry for the barrage of text, feel free to share your thoughts they’re much appreciated
    You'll never understand how happy I was when Jean got her telepathy back and her costume changed from green to red. Then came Infectia and Beast gradually losing his intellect and then the Judgement War and Inferno, good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol Yesss Taki was getting the real work DUUNE.
    babysits, demon wrangle, sells bootleg DVDs, and hair all from his wheelchair... Taki don't take no sh!t either
    RCO013_1466828054.jpg

RCO016_1466828054.jpg

You're doing amazing, sweetie!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Simonson's run is actually one of the best. Quite underrated, though. The best of O5, best villain in Apocalypse, doing his dastardliest deed in turning Angel into his horseman Death, thereby taking the lamest X-Men and instantly transforming him into one of the coolest, most visually striking members of the team. Featuring Apocalypse’s master plan, the rekindling of Cyclops and Jean Grey’s romance, Jean rejecting Cyke.....both surviving Maddie & raising Nathan for a while .It has some of the best Jott moments.

Beast in this run was just lovely.

Fantastic Member

Agreed. X-Factor is great up through PAD's first run, then dips a bit until it trails off into obscurity by #120.

Between Simonson, Portacio near his peak, Stroman, Quesada, and Jae Lee, there is a ton of fantastic art in Vol. 1.