Spinning this subject out of the Jean Grey thread to give it one of its own...

Can Jean and Emma be friends? Pointing out that they had a fun, snarky good girl/bad girl dynamic (or, as it came off to me, big sister/little sister) during Morrison's run, a number of posters are enamored of the idea of Jean and Emma becoming friends, or at least respected colleagues and acquaintances. In an interview, writer and die-hard Emma fan Leah Williams alluded to the idea, too.

I don't think they can. Not as long as Scott's alive, anyway. Being friends, or even friendly, with her husband's mistress would be absurd and out of character for Jean. She and Scott didn't have an open marriage. The affair with Emma destroyed their marriage. Adultery is among the rawest, most painful forms of betrayal. That's not something Jean--or most people--would ever just get over. Emma's mere presence will always be a reminder.

I can see them working together when necessary. Reluctant allies. That sort of thing. And, had Scott stayed dead permanently, I could see them potentially bonding a bit over the loss of him. But, while he's alive and available, they're competitors. To each other, they will always be The Other Woman.

Jean has every reason to hate Emma's guts, but, being the generous soul that she is, I can see her forgiving Emma. Just not forgetting. Ever. Friendship is just a bridge too far.

What do you think?