Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

i'm not offended-- but if stuff like this is "for real", I'm wondering how convenient it is to be leaked now. Until proven otherwise, I'm skeptical.

We'll just have to see how this unfolds. In the meanwhile, have at it, reactionaries.

Anyone can be a Double O or 007 so this doesn't bother me at all I'd rather add a new Double O than change the Bond Character.

Some of the other 00s have been replaced in the films. For example: a 009 is mentioned in Brosnan's The World Is Not Enough, but a 009 was killed in Octopussy. I'd think that perhaps there was also a new 006 after Alec was presumed dead, and we see a 002 in Living Daylights although his death was one of the plot points in The Man With The Golden Gun.

I'm guessing perhaps Lynch's character dies or gives up field work and Bond takes the number back as others have though.

For all we know Christopher Neame's short-lived character in License to Kill was the new 007.

We also see female 00s very briefly in Thunderball and The World Is Not Enough.

Granted this is all from the Connery-Brosnan continuity...
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Niffleheim

Are they trying to clean up the PR nightmare that came up with comments about Idris not being suave enough to be James Bond?
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-14-2019 at 01:50 PM.

A new 007 of another race or gender is perfectly fine. Race swapping James Bond though in the name of diversity is wrong. Happy to see they are doing it right for once.

That said, I think they could have picked a much better actress while still having it be a POC.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    A new 007 of another race or gender is perfectly fine. Race swapping James Bond though in the name of diversity is wrong. Happy to see they are doing it right for once.

That said, I think they could have picked a much better actress while still having it be a POC.
    Sometimes an actor has a role that is their breakout role. They weren't regarded highly until they got that role. Perhaps 007 is Ms. Lynch's breakout role.

Incredible Member

I've never had a problem with a black, Asian or even a female 007 I just never cared for the idea of changing Bond's race, gender or even sexual orientation (a gay Bond). Assuming the '00' having a long history there likely have been 007s before Bond and will be 007s after Bond. What will keep the franchise alive and prosper will be how fans respond to the main character, be it Bond or some new character.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    People need to read before they post things and go on twitter. 007 is codename. James Bond is the most famous agent to have that codename. In the film Bond is retired, meaning the codename 007 is inactive and can be assigned to a new agent. Lashana Lynch's character is assigned that codename while James Bond is not an active agent.

In the books, James Bond becomes a **** agent after his wife dies and he gets assigned a different in You Only Live Twice. The number itself isn't crucial to the character being James Bond. I HIGHLY DOUBT that the film series will go in any direction that doesn't have the character of James Bond as a lead
    I've always thought this was the way to do it. Make a Agent 007 spin off series. Every 4 or 5 movies we get a new person getting the 007 code name. And then spin them off or bring them back as new agent numbers. And then let James Bond rest for a bit. Absence does make the heart grow fonder and eventually after 5 or 10 years bring James Bond back to reclaim the 007 code name.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I've never had a problem with a black, Asian or even a female 007 I just never cared for the idea of changing Bond's race, gender or even sexual orientation (a gay Bond). Assuming the '00' having a long history there likely have been 007s before Bond and will be 007s after Bond. What will keep the franchise alive and prosper will be how fans respond to the main character, be it Bond or some new character.
    I wouldnt mind Bond being Bi simply because it adds variety to the whole "Seduce this individual to get X Mcguffib"

Ultimate Member

I don't have any problem with changing Bond's race or gender to be honest.

However, I can see Ms Lynch's character as simply being a placeholder for the 007 moniker until Bond somehow gets it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I don't have any problem with changing Bond's race or gender to be honest.

However, I can see Ms Lynch's character as simply being a placeholder for the 007 moniker until Bond somehow gets it back.
    Even though the creator of James Bond based the character on himself, a white male?

Extraordinary Member

Bond retires or gets promoted and someone else becomes 007. I can't see what's wrong with that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Even though the creator of James Bond based the character on himself, a white male?
    Ehhh...it doesn't really matter so much to me.

I'm not saying it's something that should happen but I honestly don't care anymore.

Maybe i've become numb to this stuff at this point.

This looks like a clear test run, If Lynch knocks it out of the park with part the studio has options. With Craig being done with the role they can spin off to something new while staying in the IP. As great as James Bond is their limit on what you can do his traits are locked in he is a reckless, smooth womanizer/ladies man who likes his drink a specific way. You can't change that and you don't want to change that so you have change something else to keep it new. They now have a chance to make the franchise two things James Bond who is the iconic spy himself and Agent 007 which has come mean top agent for MI6.

You guys are really underestimating Hollywood if you think this is one off move.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Ehhh...it doesn't really matter so much to me.

I'm not saying it's something that should happen but I honestly don't care anymore.

Maybe i've become numb to this stuff at this point.
    I get what you’re saying about getting numb to this sort of thing as it’s happening a lot... It’s just that this is a clear pc box ticking exercise to appease a minority.