Default The Many Saints of Newark

I am looking forward to this one. HBO 2 has been running the series over on Sunday's (maybe more days) and it just pulls you back in. Season 4 was so good and for a show that came out 20 years ago, it's shown very little signs of age. The Christopher Columbus episodes is one of my favorites lol.

Listened to David Chase on the Maron pod and while he didn't even mention the simultaneous release but he seems pretty pissed about it. Too bad cause I would have liked to see part of this story on a movie screen. The windows for these things are so small these days makes it unlikely but I understand where he's coming from. Still, I'll be glad to see it, hopefully it won't be the last.

"Extremely angry, and I still am. I mean, I don't know how much you go into this, you know, like...okay. If I was...one of those guys, if one of those executives was sitting here and I was to start pissing and moaning about it, they'd say, you know, there's 17 other movies that have the same problem. What could we do? Covid! Well, I know, but those 16 other movies didn't start out as a television show. They don't have to shed that television image before you get people to the theater. But we do. And that's where we're at. People should go see it in a theater. It was designed to be a movie. It was...it's beautiful as a movie. I never thought that it would be back on HBO. Never."

https://movieweb.com/the-many-******...hase-responds/
    Per Chase the film is going to focus on a racial theme in the prequel, which is going to be interesting if you're even a little aware of of the what was happening in that part of the country and the struggles and effects of desegregation.

Gandolfini's kid looks just like him. Bernthal is always good and they even got Ray Liotta.

Drops Friday and wondering what fans of the show are gonna think. I just wanna see back in the day Paul.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Seems like a cash grab to me. Chase wanted to make a movie about the Newark riots, he couldn't get the funding as it was so it was shoehorned into a "Sopranos" prequel, complete with a retcon as to Tony's age so they could get Gandolfini's kid in it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Seems like a cash grab to me. Chase wanted to make a movie about the Newark riots, he couldn't get the funding as it was so it was shoehorned into a "Sopranos" prequel, complete with a retcon as to Tony's age so they could get Gandolfini's kid in it.https://filmekingyen.online/
    Very likely. Such times have come so all the tricks allowed. Right??
    Last edited by JonahJonson; 09-22-2022 at 10:20 AM.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

it was pretty lame but since it was a prequel it felt distanced enough from the main show unlike the lackluster wrap-ups of El Camino or the Deadwood movie

ray liotta was ok in this though

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    it was pretty lame but since it was a prequel it felt distanced enough from the main show unlike the lackluster wrap-ups of El Camino or the Deadwood movie

ray liotta was ok in this though
    I thought the guy playing Christopher's dad was pretty damn good.....The film, itself, felt anticlimactic, though. In particular, I was expecting more out of Christopher's dad being an inspiration for Tony.

i wasnt a huge fan of main guy really, i don't think any of the main cast was bad just kind of forgettable

maybe switch jon bernthal to that role would have been better

It was so on the nose. It was just OK, about serviceable. Of course I wanted to really dig it more than I did but much of it functioned in the capacity that the characters are just familiar to you and it's kept that way. It felt like an episode that was a backdoor pilot for another show, at same time trying to keep up the familiarity of the characters at all times. I hate to call it Anchorman 2 but it was closer to it than not. As soon as the characters showed on screen you knew who they were. I thought Chase would have had some ambiguity to some of them for the folks who didn't watch the show but nah. Some characters I thought might could make an appearance, nope, wasn't even a mention of.

There was nothing made of the riots, the incident was played for a cover story. I wasn't expecting the movie Detroit or anything but when something like that played on the show, even within a single episode it had a more weight to it and that wasn't this.

Some of the lines were hilarious to me. The Ray Liottas were fantastic. Leslie Odum was dope, he's good in everything, he was the one I wanted to see more of come to find out.

Berenthal was kinda wasted. During the show there were flashbacks a couple times and the guy that played Johnny Boy was a little different than the way Berenthal played it dude was a little more hardcore here. Dickie was an ******* and him being the lens by which it goes through was tough to deal with in spots. One thing I didn't see was any acknowledgment of spoilers:
    Chrissy being born by the goomar/stepmom, the wife wasn't ever shown to get pissed or even mention it...
    end of spoilers To me I guess, Dickie embodied a spirit of the show in that, they are and do as their motivations dictate in the mundane or profound, it's just that there was very little profound about dude. Unless you account for him having some conscientious constitution over Hollywood Dick, which is me giving benefit of the doubt where it might not be.

Corey Stoll was a weird choice for Uncle June to me, he was OK but he's way tall which makes it look like Junior shrank more than a foot or since the old days. The optic of him falling in the rain was one of the most entertaining part of the movie. Great stunt work lol but even that joke was lifted.

It was greatest hits territory unfortunately, the show beats that came you didn't quite see coming but they just dropped them and kept it moving. Costumes were great, they got a look down fine. Sucks to say but I almost feel they shouldn't have used ANY of the characters, save for maybe a couple and told a story that tied into it from a less obvious side. I'll give it a meh+.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia] One thing I didn't see was any acknowledgment of spoilers:
    Chrissy being born by the goomar/stepmom, the wife wasn't ever shown to get pissed or even mention it...
    end of spoilers

That was an interesting aspect of the movie, as it gave Christopher's story a little more gravitas. Not just the fact that his mom wasn't his actual biological mother, but the whole aspect of his addiction and him thinking it was genetically passed on from both his parents. We saw nothing of his biological mother being an alcoholic, and, apparently, Christopher was told his father was an alcoholic (Likely by his mother), but that didn't seem to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    To me I guess, Dickie embodied a spirit of the show in that, they are and do as their motivations dictate in the mundane or profound, it's just that there was very little profound about dude. Unless you account for him having some conscientious constitution over Hollywood Dick, which is me giving benefit of the doubt where it might not be.

Yeah, that's what I was saying.......Dickie was built up as this badass that Tony looked up to, yet the only poignant thing he did was kill his father and become the head honcho, and Tony never knew Dickie killed his own father. Aside from that, all he did was run a successful mob business Tony eventually took over when he got older. We literally saw nothing for Tony to truly be inspired by, aside from basic idolization on his part because his uncle was cool with him and he had shitty parents. Considering that's all we got, context-wise, that's a major let-down.

The movie was ok. Nothing special and it's the stories fault not the actors. Corey Stoll did a great job of getting Juniors speech pattern down. The guy playing Paulie nailed the body language, even the unique way Paulie would point. Now the dude playing Silvio would go back and forth. Sometimes it was really good and other times it felt like the actor was doing a laughable impression. Dickie was a forgettable character and Bernthal was wasted on a character who didn't do much. I assume they hope to make sequels where Tony and his father will play bigger roles. I'd be open to it's cause like i ssid the story failed here not the actors imo. Ills see more of Michael Gandolfini as Tony and Bernthal/Stoll as Johhny boy and Junior. I'm also down to watch Leslie Odom Junior in anything. Dudes a real talent his character just needed a bit more. The whole show needed more in every story line.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Is this movie universally regarded as mediocre? Not even hard-core Sopranos fans are enthusiastic about it?

my nervousness and skepticism about these types of films and TV shows, by my reckoning, post-Godfather, is the portrayal of the depth of the casual racism in these cohorts of ethnic racketeers; Tarantino amped up this portrayal angle even more (Reservoir Dogs). My hot take is that minority characters, if they're seen in these films at all, often expendable (e.g., Sam Jackson, Goodfellas); I am aware that Leslie Odom, Jr., is in this. But I don't want to see it if most of it is about seeing verbal (and possibly physical) abuse heaped upon him, frequent racist jokes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    my nervousness and skepticism about these types of films and TV shows, by my reckoning, post-Godfather, is the portrayal of the depth of the casual racism in these cohorts of ethnic racketeers; Tarantino amped up this portrayal angle even more (Reservoir Dogs). My hot take is that minority characters, if they're seen in these films at all, often expendable (e.g., Sam Jackson, Goodfellas); I am aware that Leslie Odom, Jr., is in this. But I don't want to see it if most of it is about seeing verbal (and possibly physical) abuse heaped upon him, frequent racist jokes, etc.
    nah the race stuff was pretty lukewarm, probably even the main series had rougher jokes/content in that regard