Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I don’t think Goldeneye is too inspired by Moonraker

The whole kind of scarred guy reinventing himself and wanting revenge on the British (especially on London) for World War II is a bit similar.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The whole kind of scarred guy reinventing himself and wanting revenge on the British (especially on London) for World War II is a bit similar.
    Die Another Day is the only film that takes inspiration from the book, Moonraker. Unless you want to count names, then the movie Moonraker counts only for the name.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I think there's still some similarities. In particular, both Drax and Alec try to mess with the London economy (Drax with stocks, Alec by hacking) before their attack erases evidence of the crime.

Sometimes only a little bit of Fleming works from another book find their way into films that are mostly unrelated. Both For Your Eyes Only and Licence to Kill, for example, use big sequences from the novel of Live and Let Die which were left out of the movie version (The boat dragging and Felix being fed to animals).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-18-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Just bumping this a bit, I'm wondering if perhaps the pre-title sequence will actually not use Bond but Lynch's character, perhaps having a surprise reveal at the end (Kind of like OHMSS and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS "hid" the identity of the new Bond for a few minutes) with Bond reappearing post-credits (Although I assume like all the other opening credits he'll be in there too).

It's kind of been done before. FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE featured a live training with a SPECTRE guy in a Bond mask. LIVE AND LET DIE didn't deal with Bond at all, but the deaths of the other agents. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN featured a Bond dummy (and I'm pretty sure Roger Moore played the cowboy robot) but no physical Bond.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I've never had a problem with a black, Asian or even a female 007 I just never cared for the idea of changing Bond's race, gender or even sexual orientation (a gay Bond). Assuming the '00' having a long history there likely have been 007s before Bond and will be 007s after Bond. What will keep the franchise alive and prosper will be how fans respond to the main character, be it Bond or some new character.
    In practice, you would never reuse a code name, particularly in the secret service. Too much chance of misunderstanding in communiques and such.

In fiction you can do whatever you want, of course.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    In practice, you would never reuse a code name, particularly in the secret service. Too much chance of misunderstanding in communiques and such.

Just use different inflections. Ala “Levi-O-sa” versus “Levio-Sah”.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

It's sort of like 'The King is dead, long live the King'.

Plus it helps build the legend:

"Your're 007? I heard you died."

"I got better."

Extraordinary Member

007 is a codename but it's also just a designated identifying number that is cycled through a particular branch of the British Secret Service. In the books it's a bit more obscure because only like 3 are active at any given time. The films established that they have at least 9 agents active and they have had multiple 00's with the same number.

We saw most of them in Thunderball. However 002 and 004 died in the opening of Living Daylights, we also had a 002 killed in the Man With the Golden Gun. 003 is killed in View to a Kill. Obviously the 006 in Goldeneye is not the same man as the 006 in Thunderball. I mean maybe you could say that's Alec, but it seems doubtful.

In both the books and the films 008 is considered the most competent along with Bond. Bond actually says in the novel of Goldfinger that 008 is more carefull, which is why it's assumed that he is the constant go to when M threatens to replace Bond. He's also the only one that hasn't been brought up in the context of a film where he died in service of the plot.

002 in Living Daylights technically didn't die-he was just immediately paintballed by the SAS and disqualified from the test. We don't see him after really. It's 004 who is given the note and has his rope cut.

002 was apparently cast since the actor, Glyn Baker, had a slight resemblance to Roger Moore and it was sort of a little in-joke (004 I guess is supposed to somewhat resemble Lazenby or Connery).

Little bit of trivia: Glyn was also in Wild Geese with Moore and is pretty much the second (well, technically the fourth if you factor in Emperor and Vader) in command of the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Endicott

I think it's 004 who is killed in MWTGG as well (Bill Fairbanks). 009 is killed in the clown suit in Octopussy; although in Brosnan's films there's another 009 who caused Renard's unique condition.

006 in Thunderball is apparentally played by Peter Roy, one of those british extra actors who appear in practically everything, including more than one Bond movie. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1169403/

He doesn't really look anything like Sean Bean at all but given the physical differences between Bonds....could be. Granted, he's certainly a better candidate than the guy more visible next to Bond who looks more like Ringo Starr or Independence Day/Mrs. Doubtfire era Harvey Feinstein.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-17-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Title has been revealed: NO TIME TO DIE.

And I was getting used to Shatterhand.

Now I'm wondering who will do the theme song, and if it'll be fast or slow. We had two slow songs so I guess this one will be uptempo / fast?

Shatterhand sounds horrible and also pretty clumsy/clunky in meaning. 'No Time To Die' however sounds too generic James Bond (although it could also be a Die Hard title!) ten years or less from now I'll be thinking was that the last Pierce Brosnan one?

I think some-including myself-thought of Shatterhand because it would've kept the "S" theme going from the last two films; it also was Blofeld's alias in the novel version of You Only Live Twice.

Extraordinary Member

That's probably why it wasn't Shatterhand. It's like if Into Darkness was called Botany Bay or something. Most fans would get it and the secret would be out