Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87
  1. #1

    Default JAMES BOND: Lashana Lynch (MCU's MariaRambeau) to be next 007??? Whattya think?

    https://www.cbr.com/report-lashana-lynch-007-bond-25/

    CBR has this news item on its front page.


    Quote Originally Posted by CBR

    A new report indicates Bond 25 will introduce Captain Marvel's Lashana Lynch, who played Maria Rambeau in that film, as a new 007, though as a character entirely distinct from James Bond.

    A source speaking to the Daily Mail said the movie would start with Daniel Craig's James Bond retired in Jamaica when M calls him for help. "There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman," the source said. "It's a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he's been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman."

    The source added, "Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don't work on a brilliant, young black woman who basically rolls her eyes at him and has no interest in jumping into his bed. Well, certainly not at the beginning."

    The source also added the phrase "Bond girls" had now been replaced by "Bond women."

    Series producer Barbara Broccoli said in October the Bond would probably never be female. However, this report is certainly intriguing, as it would mean the person using the codename 007 would change, not Bond himself. Bond 25 will be actor Daniel Craig's last turn as the character. The actor has played the character since 2006's Casino Royale.

    So, what do you think of this development, if true?

    Should the "007" name be passed along like a mantle as they do in comics? Or should "007" be retired once James Bond is no longer using it?

    Has anyone read the original books? What was Ian Fleming's intention with "007"?

    I did not see Captain Marvel, and I don't think I've ever seen anything Lashana Lynch has been in. Is she a good enough actress to spearhead a major movie franchise like this, or would her taking on the role of 007 make you lose interest in future movies of the franchise?

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,973

    Default

    To clarify, she's NOT the new "James Bond." She's the new "007." Basically Bond's retired at the start of the movie, MI6 needs someone to replace him, and she's it.

    It's similar to Judi Dench's M dying and Ralph Fiennes replacing her as the new "M." Only Bond's not dead, just retired.

    Bond himself even says in Casino Royale that "00's tend to have a very short life expectancy" or something along those lines. Also pretty much all of the other 00's that we've seen in previous films have tended to die. So I imagine that they need to recycle numbers after awhile.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,290

    Default

    People need to read before they post things and go on twitter. 007 is codename. James Bond is the most famous agent to have that codename. In the film Bond is retired, meaning the codename 007 is inactive and can be assigned to a new agent. Lashana Lynch's character is assigned that codename while James Bond is not an active agent.

    In the books, James Bond becomes a shit agent after his wife dies and he gets assigned a different number 7777 in You Only Live Twice. The number itself isn't crucial to the character being James Bond. I HIGHLY DOUBT that the film series will go in any direction that doesn't have the character of James Bond as a lead

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    People need to read before they post things and go on twitter. 007 is codename. James Bond is the most famous agent to have that codename. In the film Bond is retired, meaning the codename 007 is inactive and can be assigned to a new agent. Lashana Lynch's character is assigned that codename while James Bond is not an active agent.

    In the books, James Bond becomes a shit agent after his wife dies and he gets assigned a different number 7777 in You Only Live Twice. The number itself isn't crucial to the character being James Bond. I HIGHLY DOUBT that the film series will go in any direction that doesn't have the character of James Bond as a lead


    So, if James Bond is still the lead in the series after Craig leaves, but is NOT 007, we would now have two leads in the next movie. James Bond, Agent XXX and Lashana's character, Agent 007.

    It doesn't sound like EON Productions would add this unnecessary complication.

    Alternatively, if they are going for a spinoff franchise like they were trying to do 20 years ago with Halle Barry's Jinx character, then there shouldn't be much fan backlash, but again, is Lashana Lynch enough of a star to lead a franchise like this?

    Would fans WANT to see a James Bond who is NOT 007? James Bond, Agent 7777 might pull people out of the story too much.

  5. #5
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    So, if James Bond is still the lead in the series after Craig leaves, but is NOT 007, we would now have two leads in the next movie. James Bond, Agent XXX and Lashana's character, Agent 007.

    It doesn't sound like EON Productions would add this unnecessary complication.

    Alternatively, if they are going for a spinoff franchise like they were trying to do 20 years ago with Halle Barry's Jinx character, then there shouldn't be much fan backlash, but again, is Lashana Lynch enough of a star to lead a franchise like this?

    Would fans WANT to see a James Bond who is NOT 007? James Bond, Agent 7777 might pull people out of the story too much.
    Alternatively Bond rejoins Mi6 and becomes 007 again at the end of the movie to reset the status quo in time for the new Bond, or they find a way for their to be more then one 007.

    Lynch is supposed to be the main Bond girl and with this being as upfront as it is I don't see them taking her out.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,044

    Default

    Sounds like a one-movie plot contrivance to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there's no reason to suspect this represents some new status quo for either Bond or 007.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  7. #7
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,973

    Default

    She could die, or she gets another codename once Bond takes his back (there are like nine 00's going by Thunderball after all). So there are possibilities. They're not going to make James Bond films without James Bond.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    So, if James Bond is still the lead in the series after Craig leaves, but is NOT 007, we would now have two leads in the next movie. James Bond, Agent XXX and Lashana's character, Agent 007.

    It doesn't sound like EON Productions would add this unnecessary complication.

    Alternatively, if they are going for a spinoff franchise like they were trying to do 20 years ago with Halle Barry's Jinx character, then there shouldn't be much fan backlash, but again, is Lashana Lynch enough of a star to lead a franchise like this?

    Would fans WANT to see a James Bond who is NOT 007? James Bond, Agent 7777 might pull people out of the story too much.
    I don't think Lashana Lynch is going to retain the 007 codename beyond this film. I don't think she will play a character that ever becomes the lead of this series. It's more likely a plot point of this single film and won't extend much beyond it. Maybe they can try the spinoff thing again.

    To be honest I don't think it works without Bond. He's the character that carried what will be 25 films.

  9. #9
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    She could die, or she gets another codename once Bond takes his back (there are like nine 00's going by Thunderball after all). So there are possibilities. They're not going to make James Bond films without James Bond.
    Isn't Blofeld supposed to be in it again? Maybe they pull a Tracy.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Congrats to Lynch on getting the gig.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Blofeld supposed to be in it again? Maybe they pull a Tracy.

    What's "pulling a Tracy"?


    Regarding just using Lashana in this one movie: if that's the case, that seems a little gimmicky, and might even evoke backlash -- especially if she gets killed off.

  12. #12
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    What's "pulling a Tracy"?


    Regarding just using Lashana in this one movie: if that's the case, that seems a little gimmicky, and might even evoke backlash -- especially if she gets killed off.
    "Pulling a Tracy" is a reference to Tracy Draco Bond, James's wife killed at the end of On her majesty's service. But to be honest I'm not sure Lynch's character is even the main Bond girl, maybe her death will lead James out of retirement?

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,973

    Default

    More likely Madeleine Swann (Lea Seydoux's character from Spectre) would fill that role, since she's been confirmed to return in this film as well.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Alternatively Bond rejoins Mi6 and becomes 007 again at the end of the movie to reset the status quo in time for the new Bond, or they find a way for their to be more then one 007.

    Lynch is supposed to be the main Bond girl and with this being as upfront as it is I don't see them taking her out.
    I think you're spot on - this is their way of having a "Bond Girl"(or evolving the concept) without being a "Bond Girl" and all the antiquated notions that come with that term.

    Ever since Pierce Brosnan and Dame Judy M they've been throwing out the idea that James Bond is a dinosaur - this just follows the modern trend of how to treat his character.

  15. #15
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    I have no problem with there being a new 007, but I'm not certain about the actress. While I've warmed to her performance in Captain Marvel, in my first watching I thought she was wooden and unconvincing. Maybe she'll do better in this role, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •