Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Early reviews-and naturally-spoilers-are up.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Lol had some guy aggressively tell me and my friend that James Bond can't be a black girl....unprovoked.... no one asked or brought it up and we weren't engaging with this guy at all at that point. I just ssid why in response. He said because Bond is a womanizer and a no one wasn't to see a girl being hoe. He also never elaborated on the Blsck part either mostly just focusing on the female angle. It was the weirdest ****. Also for reference I'm bi-racial but just say I'm Samoan if people ask. And my friend is a 6"4 300+Lb black dude. So why this guy felt the need to say this to us was more perplexing. Guess people are really passionate about Bond. He also parlayed that into rant about not supporting BLM and called Kapernick a disgrace. So make of that what you will. Anyway didn't know people were this passionate about 007. Once I see the film I can give my opinion on Lynch taking over. She looks solid in the trailers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Anyway didn't know people were this passionate about 007.
    Over here in the UK, Bond is our only real contemporary action hero/super-hero, so having a strong opinion on him is pretty standard. Not totally unlike the relationship between African Americans and Black Panther I think. I'm increasingly surprised that people in other countries are passionate about the character, though, as the franchise has been very hit or miss for a long while, and the Bourne and Mission Impossible films have often been beating the Bond films at their own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Once I see the film I can give my opinion on Lynch taking over. She looks solid in the trailers though.
    She's not taking over the franchise as far as I know, simply in this film Bond has retired and Lynch is the current 007. There will be a new actor cast as James Bond once the publicity blitz surrounding NTTD dies down (and providing Eon have enough money to make a new film - Covid has kind of ****ed them in terms of turning a big profit on this movie, I think). No idea if Lynch will make a return to the franchise.

Extraordinary Member

Saw it, thought it was amazing

Seems like the film is the boldest story-wise since OHMSS (although of course that was based on a novel anyway, but still 'risky')

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Seems like the film is the boldest story-wise since OHMSS (although of course that was based on a novel anyway, but still 'risky')
    Very. Multiple unprecedented plot points

While everyone has a hard time deciding on what their favorite Bond film is almost everyone agrees that On Her Majesty's Secret Service holds the title of Worst Bond Film. This is not a good sign.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-29-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    While everyone has a hard time deciding on what their favorite Bond film is almost everyone agrees that On Her Majesty's Secret Service holds the title of Worst Bond Film. This is not a good sign.
    Die Another Die: "Am I a joke to you?"

Yes, yes you are, Die Another Day.

That sort of used to be the feeling but OHMSS seems to have been re-examined a lot in the decades since it's release by fans and critics. Yeah, Lazenby is no Connery or his successors but he does OK for barely having any acting experience, although it probably wasn't the best idea to have one of the more consequential Bond novels adapted with the new guy (although Tracy has a much smaller role in the novel whereas casting Diana Rigg made her much more of an "action girl". The theme music is also classic, as well as Armstrong's "All the Time In The World".

Generally I think A View To A Kill and Die Another Day are sort of near the bottom these days.

That sort of used to be the feeling but OHMSS seems to have been re-examined a lot in the decades since it's release by fans and critics. Yeah, Lazenby is no Connery or his successors but he does OK for barely having any acting experience, although it probably wasn't the best idea to have one of the more consequential Bond novels adapted with the new guy (although Tracy has a much smaller role in the novel whereas casting Diana Rigg made her much more of an "action girl". The theme music is also classic, as well as Armstrong's "All the Time In The World".

Generally I think A View To A Kill and Die Another Day are sort of near the bottom these days.
    Agreed. I'm quite conflicted about View To A Kill, as Christopher Walken and Grace Jones is pretty much a dream cast for anything, but I guess the execution is kind of underwhelming.

The film does have good points-the villains are a highlight, although the plan is pretty much GOLDFINGER except with microchips. Patrick Mcnee is pretty good for the small bit he's in it. Barry's score is also pretty good, also recalling OHMSS in a few parts although it pretty much has nothing to do with it otherwise.

The main problem is Moore is too old (and also oddly looks like he has some work done that makes him kind of look odd) and it's especially obvious in a lot of the action scenes where the doubles are very visible and Moore is clearly in front of a blue screen. Also Stacey is sort of a let down after the much stronger Bond girls of the past few Moore films.

I wonder if NTTD will go down as the strongest 'final Bond' (unless you count OHMSS although that was both the first and last for Lazenby). DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, VIEW TO A KILL, LICENSE TO KILL and DIE ANOTHER DAY aren't exactly classics although LTK, like OHMSS, seems to do a bit better in retrospect while Dalton's other, TLD seems to have gone down (It does have a weak Bond girl and probably the worst Bond villains ever with the exception of the henchman Necros, while LTK has the very intimidating Sanchez and Dario).

George Lazenby is agreed upon as the Worst Bond, but On Her Majesty's Secret Service is often considered by fans of the franchise to be easily in the top half.

Ultimate Member

Worst James Bond movie...not by a long shot!

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    George Lazenby is agreed upon as the Worst Bond, but On Her Majesty's Secret Service is often considered by fans of the franchise to be easily in the top half.
    Plus, Savalas' Blofeld inspired DCAU version of Lex Luthor.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius