View Poll Results: What would you give this issue?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll

4 19.05%

1 4.76%

4 19.05%

10 47.62%

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman # 74 review

I thought the first half of this issue was a bit sloppy. They trick the Empress by having her fall off the cliff since she cannot fly...yet she was very clearly shown flying a few pages before? Is there a disconnect between Wilson's script and the art? Also kind of annoying that Molly came up with the plan. I've been fine with her and in general have thought the "Diana isn't doing anything herself" comments for this run have been a tad overblown, but it was a bit much here.

That said, the last few pages with the actual Amazons were an improvement. It was wonderful seeing Antiope and Philippus, and it sounds like Wilson is setting up a "the Amazons reveal themselves to the outside world" plot. I like Antiope passing her sword to Molly, though the statement of "not outside woman has been an Amazon" was a bit strange. I guess Izzy doesn't count? And this probably rules out a version of Paula ever having come to the island?

I guess I will have to tolerate Grail next issue, but the other prisoners beneath Themyscira being free should be neat. I wonder if we will see some other familiar faces, be it Amazon or mythological threat. And looking forward to the set up of the Cheetah arc.

Default Wonder Woman # 74 review

Empress was brought back. Was her comeback good?

Four stars out of five. It was a very good issue one of the best in years, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I have to say this was the best issue of Wilson's run yet. I feel like she finally *got* Diana's voice & characterization right. The plot was efficient while captivating. The art was also quite good. This could be a huge turning point for Wilson if she continues on like this.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I liked it. It feels like it's building to something a little more now... I was left wondering at the end of the issue if the Dimension Chi has something tangentially to do with the expulsion of the gods from Olympus and the Mythic Companions from Themyscira, considering Grail is in charge there now and the last time we saw her she was in the tree with Ares before murdering him...

So, I guess I'm a bit confused as to the nature of Chi-Land. It's constructed (somehow) by Hippolyta as a psychological mirror to see the ramifications of her choices, but is it real or not? Or, what is its level of reality, since Grail and now Antiope and Philippus are chilling there and they're presumably real. Did all the Amazons bounce there because of whatever befell the "real" Themyscira.

And, forgive me, but I remember that Philippus was with Hippolyta and Diana during Year One, but was Antiope there too? I can't remember what her current Prime Earth origin is now and whether she left the Amazons before they immigrated to Themyscira.

Should Empress Hippoltya be a permanent character?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Right now, I’d say no. I think there are other characters that can be developed as foils for Hippolyta. (I can think of three foes I’d find interesting.)

But, I’ll never say never, depending on what happens with this story.

Good to hear that folks liked what they saw in this issue.

I say no, but if the concept is developed properly I might change my mind by the end of the story arc. I do find this new take intriguing.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-16-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Tricky story to discuss.

Part of this is the malleable nature of Empress Hippolyta and Dimension Chi, which seems to have little relation to what we saw in the previous issue. If the phrase "I let go and everything and fall" is key here, it seems the rest of the story doesn't set it up well enough: that you had to lose and let you fall through the realm. This monster Hippolyta seems to come out overpowered, and that strength didn't feel like it came out earned.

Another thing is that Merino's art here may suffer from the same issue that plagued Nord's art in the Ares arc, of playing up the wrong emotions. I'm not sure if it's something in Wilson's scripting that makes it liable to that type of disconnect between writer and artist. But in any case the art feels ponderous, like everything is too heavy. It might fit some enemies or superheroes, but not Wonder Woman.

At least Maggie has learned to not let go of her sword when she falls.

On meeting the Amazons, things pick up. Wilson shifts smoothly into the dialogue here, and I really like how she shifts modes between how the Amazons, Maggie, Atlantiades, and Diana talk. Xermanico seems to have a better grasp of expressing emotional nuances, managing to express disbelief, joy, surprise, and gratitude. Only tonal misstep I can find for him is with Philippus with the top frame of the last page, where her questioning Antiope seemingly from a position of weakness.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It was good issue. My only real critique is that the issue is tonally off when compared to the previous run. By that I mean Wilson has rigorously adhered to the Greek theme for her run. We go from Ares -> Zoo Crew -> Titans -> Cherubs -> Minotaur -> artificial parallel dimension -> Amazons. This whole Chi dimension, even if its a good idea, is at odds with the rest of the run as its presented now.

Also, when did Ares die?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

Also, when did Ares die?
    Ares died in the first issue of Wilson's run. He essentially had Grail kill him and it somehow caused the changes in the gods and the disappearance of the Amazons. Ares was reborn blond & confused.

Yes, golden haired Hippolytas are almost always treacherous. It's nice to have them condensed into one super villain. She's an interesting counterpoint to our Hippolyta and with her army of followers there's a lot of ore to be mined there.

Grail is rapidly catching up to Circe as mortal enemy to the Amazons. DC seems determined to make her an acceptable adversary and they're not letting go. With so many appearances but so few fans it doesn't appear to be working but maybe the battle for Themyscira can change that. Antiope brings a potentially explosive element to the proceedings. She's another member of the royal family of Themyscira and could rightfully challenge Hippolya for leadership. She also holds emotional sway over Diana like her mother does if to slightly lesser extent. It knocks Philippus down a peg and though she too is presumably a general as she has been in the past, Antiope was clearly in charge. War and intrigue are the order of the day and I couldn't be happier with it.

Yes, golden haired Hippolytas are almost always treacherous. It's nice to have them condensed into one super villain. She's an interesting counterpoint to our Hippolyta and with her army of followers there's a lot of ore to be mined there.

Grail is rapidly catching up to Circe as mortal enemy to the Amazons. DC seems determined to make her an acceptable adversary and they're not letting go. With so many appearances but so few fans it doesn't appear to be working but maybe the battle for Themyscira can change that. Antiope brings a potentially explosive element to the proceedings. She's another member of the royal family of Themyscira and could rightfully challenge Hippolya for leadership. She also holds emotional sway over Diana like her mother does if to slightly lesser extent. It knocks Philippus down a peg and though she too is presumably a general as she has been in the past, Antiope was clearly in charge. War and intrigue are the order of the day and I couldn't be happier with it.

Astonishing Member

The story is finally going somewhere, but I don't really know how to feel about Grail being involved. Grail never really clicked with most people, but DC seems determined to push her as a WW villain. She might work better as an antagonist for another character.