View Poll Results: What would you give this issue?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll

4 19.05%

1 4.76%

4 19.05%

10 47.62%

2 9.52%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Exactly.

I mean, at what point does Diana face death by meekly holding hands with somebody like some 1950’s Disney Princess?

Superman/Wonder Woman was godawful IMO, but at least when it happened there it was as she was blowing her enemies to hell, not frozen like a deer in the headlight.

And people gave this 4 stars?
    It was a great issue. It was the culmination of a long journey and the outcome didn't disappoint. You have to remember Diana isn't quite herself, she's been operating in a cloud of grief and worry about her family and homeland. Add to that her concerns about Steve and their relationship and her new allies that don't understand or respect the significance of it and you can see how she'd be off her game. Still it's worth noting Wonder Woman was the one who successfully defended against Empress Hippolyta's attack and was the first to land on the outskirts of Themyscira.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It was a great issue. It was the culmination of a long journey and the outcome didn't disappoint. You have to remember Diana isn't quite herself, she's been operating in a cloud of grief and worry about her family and homeland. Add to that her concerns about Steve and their relationship and her new allies that don't understand or respect the significance of it and you can see how she'd be off her game. Still it's worth noting Wonder Woman was the one who successfully defended against Empress Hippolyta's attack and was the first to land on the outskirts of Themyscira.
    I don’t call “holding hands and waiting meekly to die” mounting a successful defence. And the fact that she WAS able to counter an attack with her shield shortly after only serves to make the writing more questionable.

And land? She didn’t land, she FELL!

Maggie is the one who actually comes up with a plan to save them, which Atlantiades then carries out. Diana’s major contribution was to fall on her backside and then have things explained to her - like how worthy Maggie is.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-23-2019 at 02:44 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I don’t call “holding hands and waiting meekly to die” mounting a successful defence. And the fact that she WAS able to counter an attack with her shield shortly after only serves to make the writing more questionable.

Maggie is the one who actually comes up with a plan to save them, which Atlantiades then carries out. Diana’s major contribution was to fall on her backside and then have things explained to her - like how worthy Maggie is.
    I don't know how hitting the ground first after falling off a cliff can be construed as some sort of accomplishment, especially for someone who can fly. How did Maggie survive the fall and how come Empress Hippolyta didn’t land in the same spot, she just vanished

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I don't know how hitting the ground first after falling off a cliff can be construed as some sort of accomplishment, especially for someone who can fly. How did Maggie survive the fall and how come Empress Hippolyta didn’t land in the same spot, she just vanished
    On retreading I think they fell into some kind of dimensional right that pulled them all through.

I still fail to see how that is any kind of accomplishment , though.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

While reading Aquaman #50 I couldn't help but think of how good it was, but also how little Aquaman was in it and how that would go over if the same were true for say Wonder Woman #50. If a major guest star and the supporting cast took up so much panel time there'd be multiple complaints that "Wonder Woman was a guest star in her own book" and I feel there's a shade of that going on in your review for WW #74. Sometimes the supporting cast have to actually provide support, so the story can advance and the star can shine. That's what Atlantiades and Maggie were doing. Diana's major contribution was to save both of them when her shield stopped Empress Hippolyta's attack and to let go and fall to her destination although she had the power of flight and could have avoided it. She reached the goal line first, whether she fell or was pushed or landed on her backside is beside the point. She found Themyscira, the squadron of Amazons and her aunt Antiope before the others did. Yet it seems that's being ignored for the sake of your critique.

Extraordinary Member

While reading Aquaman #50 I couldn't help but think of how good it was, but also how little Aquaman was in it and how that would go over if the same were true for say Wonder Woman #50. If a major guest star and the supporting cast took up so much panel time there'd be multiple complaints that "Wonder Woman was a guest star in her own book" and I feel there's a shade of that going on in your review for WW #74. Sometimes the supporting cast have to actually provide support, so the story can advance and the star can shine. That's what Atlantiades and Maggie were doing. Diana's major contribution was to save both of them when her shield stopped Empress Hippolyta's attack and to let go and fall to her destination although she had the power of flight and could have avoided it. She reached the goal line first, whether she fell or was pushed or landed on her backside is beside the point. She found Themyscira, the squadron of Amazons and her aunt Antiope before the others did. Yet it seems that's being ignored for the sake of your critique.
    She didn’t find Themyscira, she tripped over it.

Maggie was the one who actually did all the work finding it by virtue of her being worthy. She is the Jane Foster to Diana’s Thor.

Her shield block is one panel. One.

The problem is not this single issue. If it was only that I’d have given it a 2.

The problem is a critical review of the run reveals an identifiable PATTERN of so-called supporting characters upstaging Wonder Woman.

Aphrodite stopped Ares.
    Maggie stopped the big earth elementals.
    Maggie stopped the Minotaur.
    Maggie came up with a plan to beat the Empress.
    Antlantiades executed the plan.

The most significant thing Diana has done in her own book for almost a year, as written by Wilson, is to hug Veronica Cale.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-26-2019 at 01:48 AM.

She didn’t find Themyscira, she tripped over it.

Maggie was the one who actually did all the work finding it by virtue of her being worthy. She is the Jane Foster to Diana’s Thor.

Her shield block is one panel. One.

The problem is not this single issue. If it was only that I’d have given it a 2.

The problem is a critical review of the run reveals an identifiable PATTERN of so-called supporting characters upstaging Wonder Woman.

Aphrodite stopped Ares.
    Maggie stopped the big earth elementals.
    Maggie stopped the Minotaur.
    Maggie came up with a plan to beat the Empress.
    Antlantiades executed the plan.

The most significant thing Diana has done in her own book for almost a year, as written by Wilson, is to hug Veronica Cale.
    Okay fine, if that's the way you feel about it I won't try to convince you otherwise.

Extraordinary Member

Okay fine, if that's the way you feel about it I won't try to convince you otherwise.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgyt6MEfHE