Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If DC gave Wonder Woman a mature label book, what would you want from it?

Tons of characters (well...mostly Batman ) are getting mature books from DC's adult label books. What would you pitch or want to see in a mature audience focused Wonder Woman book?

Some questions to think about:

• Does the book deal with the mythological side of Diana or Man's World?
    • Who're the supporting cast?
    • Would you add new characters, including the villain(s)?
    • What creative team would you trust for a mature Wonder Woman book?
    • What topics would it deal with? What's the general story idea you would like to see?
    • What are some limits you don't think should be crossed?
    • Anything else?

I would like to see the story be more about Man's World, maybe a very Batman-esq mystery story. I wouldn't like too many other superheros to assist her in the story, Maybe Batman can make a few appearances, but I'd like her to conquer the story on her own. I would also use Steve Trevor as her consistent supporting character in the book, not too many other people, maybe one more person from Paradise Island. He shouldn't be her partner but rather her support, her rock—someone she goes home to and bounces her situation and thoughts with, almost like how Mary Jane is Spider-Man's rock and helps him when he's struggling.

As for the creative team, I think with this weird story I have in my head I'd like Andrea Sorrentino do the interiors.

Not sure who I'd trust to write the story.

I don't know where I'd go specifically in this made up story but anyone else give this any thought before?
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-14-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I don't think we'd get anything content-wise from a mature label line like Black Label that we aren't already getting from WWE1, which already deals with a lot of the weirdness and sexual innuendo that's been a part of WW's backstory since the beginning. And (honestly) if it did push things farther than WWE1, I'm not sure I'd want to see it (and this is coming from someone who really enjoys those books).

OTOH, maybe I wouldn't mind seeing what Brian Azzarello could really do with the character and her mythos without the constraints that the mainline book comes with. I'd expect it to be violent as hell and likely to piss off a lot of the diehards (if not all of them). Meaning, it would probably be right up my alley! XD XD XD
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

First off, I would hope it'd be mature as in more adult subjects and topics, and not used an excuse for either graphic violence or possible nipple and ass shots of some of the Amazons.

Other than that...I don't care, let writers make pitches and see which ones are really good. People often don't even know what they want, so I'm open to anything - if someone's got a great idea let them try it.

Ask Gail Simone and Stjepan Sejic to go all in on Marston. I think they'd complement each other well on the writing side, so I can even see them banging out the stories Marvel-style. Of course, they're both busy doing other stuff.

It'd also need the right editor to handle this, with enough backing from high up (probably including levels above DC) because if done right, this would be a title that would need to be very political in its approach to sex, gender, and identity.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It'd also need the right editor to handle this, with enough backing from high up (probably including levels above DC) because if done right, this would be a title that would need to be very political in its approach to sex, gender, and identity.
    I think that'd make the book much more enjoyable. Wonder Woman's got her fingers in a few great, big aspects that can be used to tell a mature story without the typical constraints in the mainline of books. I would want the book to dive into these issues, but like you said, the team involved would need to learn to be surgical when telling their story.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think we'd get anything content-wise from a mature label line like Black Label that we aren't already getting from WWE1, which already deals with a lot of the weirdness and sexual innuendo that's been a part of WW's backstory since the beginning. And (honestly) if it did push things farther than WWE1, I'm not sure I'd want to see it (and this is coming from someone who really enjoys those books).

OTOH, maybe I wouldn't mind seeing what Brian Azzarello could really do with the character and her mythos without the constraints that the mainline book comes with. I'd expect it to be violent as hell and likely to piss off a lot of the diehards (if not all of them). Meaning, it would probably be right up my alley! XD XD XD
    I'm not a fan of WWE1. I also don't like Morrison's writing. I wasn't a fan of the way he tackled the sexual and mature topics that come with Wonder Woman. He tackled very few and then stretched it thin throughout the entire book. I think there's more to her character than just the aspects he touched.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-15-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    First off, I would hope it'd be mature as in more adult subjects and topics, and not used an excuse for either graphic violence or possible nipple and ass shots of some of the Amazons.

Other than that...I don't care, let writers make pitches and see which ones are really good. People often don't even know what they want, so I'm open to anything - if someone's got a great idea let them try it.
    It shouldn't be at all. Being specific, in the story I was imagining I wouldn't even showcase the Amazons that much, mainly because I wanted it to be more of a modern mystery thriller type book.

Incredible Member

I'd probably prefer more of an ... introspective / "talky" comic book which really explored the duality of Wonder Woman being a premier warrior and a diplomat for peace.

I'd really like to see that conflict explored in an extended way with Diana being challenged between her compassionate nature and her ability to quickly and easily resolve problems by using force / her fists.

I was tempted to say that I'd also like to see Wonder Woman have a female love interest, but that implies that anything LGBT / queer is somehow "mature" and should be shielded from "children" which I don't agree with. So, although I'd like to see them explore Diana's love life in a more ... flexible way (e.g. Diana and Steve are polyamorous), the gender of her other lovers shouldn't be what makes it "mature". Rather, a more thoughtful exploration of what Diana would realistically think of monogamy coming from Themyscira could be interesting.

I'd pick Rucka as the writer for the line. His run is one of the more mature one Diana has had.

Donna, Hippolyta, Nubia, Akila, Philippus, Artemis and the Kapatelis would be supporting cast members.

I'd also stay as far away from any Marston influences as possible because that is as far from mature as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post

I've found many of the so called "diehards" that liked Azzarello's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I'd probably prefer more of an ... introspective / "talky" comic book which really explored the duality of Wonder Woman being a premier warrior and a diplomat for peace.

I'd really like to see that conflict explored in an extended way with Diana being challenged between her compassionate nature and her ability to quickly and easily resolve problems by using force / her fists.

I was tempted to say that I'd also like to see Wonder Woman have a female love interest, but that implies that anything LGBT / queer is somehow "mature" and should be shielded from "children" which I don't agree with. So, although I'd like to see them explore Diana's love life in a more ... flexible way (e.g. Diana and Steve are polyamorous), the gender of her other lovers shouldn't be what makes it "mature". Rather, a more thoughtful exploration of what Diana would realistically think of monogamy coming from Themyscira could be interesting.
    What would be the general obstacle in the book? Would she be called out by the general public? Sort of like the Superman Theory in DdC (although Superman was actually exempt from the allegations)? Or would it be more spiritual in nature—like she herself begins to question herself due to, say...a villain?

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Honestly, I think that DC needs to keep all of their first string cape/cowl characters away from Black Label/For Mature Readers. The industry isn't doing so well that they (or we) can afford to risk damaging the characters even short term. I'd possibly apply this to second string characters as well. Third string characters would be good to use because they are typically less important to the DCU, have smaller fan pools, and less developed histories/characterizations. They could go nuts with them with little or no consequence, and the potential for gain would be relatively higher.

I'm not sure I'd want this to be ongoing books in any case. One to three issues, certainly no more than six. In a way, I'd say Hiketeia should be a model: one-off stories that explore the conflict between Wonder Woman ideals and her position in Man's World. No demand on continuity at all, but allow writers to freely place her all over her career.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    Honestly, I think that DC needs to keep all of their first string cape/cowl characters away from Black Label/For Mature Readers. The industry isn't doing so well that they (or we) can afford to risk damaging the characters even short term. I'd possibly apply this to second string characters as well. Third string characters would be good to use because they are typically less important to the DCU, have smaller fan pools, and less developed histories/characterizations. They could go nuts with them with little or no consequence, and the potential for gain would be relatively higher.
    How is Black Label damaging the characters?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I'm not a fan of WWE1. I also don't like Morrison's writing. I wasn't a fan of the way he tackled the sexual and mature topics that come with Wonder Woman. He tackled very few and then stretched it thin throughout the entire book. I think there's more to her character than just the aspects he touched.
    I agree with that last part, but the aspects he did touch upon I felt he did so fantastically. That said, my tastes in re to WW tend to run against the grain of a lot of people on these boards, most of whom seem to be acolytes of the Perez run, one I really wasn't a fan of in the least.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post

I am down with all of this.