Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    Honestly, I think that DC needs to keep all of their first string cape/cowl characters away from Black Label/For Mature Readers. The industry isn't doing so well that they (or we) can afford to risk damaging the characters even short term. I'd possibly apply this to second string characters as well. Third string characters would be good to use because they are typically less important to the DCU, have smaller fan pools, and less developed histories/characterizations. They could go nuts with them with little or no consequence, and the potential for gain would be relatively higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want this to be ongoing books in any case. One to three issues, certainly no more than six. In a way, I'd say Hiketeia should be a model: one-off stories that explore the conflict between Wonder Woman ideals and her position in Man's World. No demand on continuity at all, but allow writers to freely place her all over her career.
    I think having a limited series for these types of books are the way to go to prevent any long-term damage to the brand, if we're concerned about that. Honestly, I'd be hesitant to even make them 6-issue series. I'd make 3-issues the typical standard, and if the book/story requires it they can request to make it into a 6-issue series.

I'd imagine an introspective book with Wonder Woman could end on a conflicted note for her or end it with uncertainty because she may never know what the perfect balance or position she should have in Man's World as an Amazon, hero, champion of women, etc.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    What would be the general obstacle in the book? Would she be called out by the general public? Sort of like the Superman Theory in DdC (although Superman was actually exempt from the allegations)? Or would it be more spiritual in nature—like she herself begins to question herself due to, say...a villain?
    Both? I'm just spit-balling, but basically there's a villain and they want to discredit Wonder Woman and her "mission of peace". So, they stage a battle to make it appear to the general public / people recording the fight on their phones that Diana used lethal force unnecessarily (e.g. they play-acted surrendering to Diana while actually verbally (or telepathically) saying that they were about to kill a bunch of innocents). Actually, having typed that ... it's a bit of a Max Lord repeat. I don't like to see storylines repeated, but I also don't think that Diana's murder of Max Lord got the thoughtful exploration that it deserved.

But, in general, some kind of scenario where the public thinks Wonder Woman abandoned her peaceful ideas and judge her harshly for it. Which causes Diana to doubt herself, her mission, etc and whether or not she is the hypocrite that the public are accusing her of being. Ideally, it would include Diana being questioned as to why she uses lethal force when Batman and Superman don't and Wonder Woman actually putting forward intelligent arguments about her upbringing / training as an Amazon warrior, the nature of the threats she faces as a superhero, her primary desire to save the lives of others, etc.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I feel like DC already tried something like this with Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman from the New 52. Sadly, it brought out some really nasty aspect of Wonder Woman that I don't want to see ever again such as the man killing, baby trading Amazons, Hippolyta being party to an adulterous affair, Wonder Woman & Orion committing sexual assault, and pretty much all of the Olympians coming across as a crime family of deviant filth.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd pick Rucka as the writer for the line. His run is one of the more mature one Diana has had.
    As much as I love Rucka, we've already seen two runs by him. I'm really thinking we've seen everything he can do with the character.

I've found many of the so called "diehards" that liked Azzarello's run.
    Ha! Really? I've found it to be the polar opposite!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Let's start with the obvious: top notch good-girl art.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    As much as I love Rucka, we've already seen two runs by him. I'm really thinking we've seen everything he can do with the character.
    I do think Rucka can do at least one more Wonder Woman story, and a no-holds-barred, out-of-continuity story would probably be the best way to bring that about.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Aren't the upcoming Amazons: Historia & Wonder Woman: Diana's Daughter black-label books?

I was unaware.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Aren't the upcoming Amazons: Historia & Wonder Woman: Diana's Daughter black-label books?
    Do we know who the creative teams are behind these?

edit: Nevermind. It's Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Jimenez on the former and Greg Rucka on the latter. I'm likely to skip the first one seeing as I'm really, really, really not a fan of Jimenez. As for the second, that will depend on the artist. I'm really hoping it doesn't push back Rucka's work on Lois Lane, though. Even with just one issue out, it's literally one of my new favorite books at the moment.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 07-17-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

How is Black Label damaging the characters?
    Agent Z,

I think you overlooked the word "risk".

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are the most kid-friendly characters at DC. Ideally, DC should want any parent to not have to worry too much about whether a story starring any of the Trinity is appropriate for their child to read. Parents already should exercise some awareness of All Ages vs Teen rated, but I suspect many wouldn't worry too much about it. That's a far cry from Black Label comics with graphic violence, nudity, or even fairly graphic sex. It isn't too difficult to image the PR disaster that could result in such a comic ending up in the hands of a child. it likely wouldn't be DC's fault, but they'd still take PR damaged over it. Depending on the level of bad publicity, you are potentially looking at more parents wondering if comics are worth the trouble of separating the adult Batman stories from the age appropriate Batman stories.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I feel like DC already tried something like this with Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman from the New 52. Sadly, it brought out some really nasty aspect of Wonder Woman that I don't want to see ever again such as the man killing, baby trading Amazons, Hippolyta being party to an adulterous affair, Wonder Woman & Orion committing sexual assault, and pretty much all of the Olympians coming across as a crime family of deviant filth.
    Well Said!! I agree with you 100%!!

I'd do a maxi-series on the villains. Each issue is from the pov of a different villain as a bunch of them team-up and they try to take down WW "once for all" .