Astonishing Member

Default John Carpenter to write Joker One-Shot in October with Anthony Burch.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...of-the-villain

Carpenter has my interest. Lot of Joker books in October.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 07-15-2019 at 02:40 AM.

I'm a huge John Carpenter fan. I especially loved Halloween (1978) and the Thing (1982). I'll be sure to pick this up.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I thought John Carpenter should have written and directed the Suicide Squad film.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Lots of Joker content coming out, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm a huge John Carpenter fan. I especially loved Halloween (1978) and the Thing (1982). I'll be sure to pick this up.
    Personally my favorite John Carpenter films are Big Trouble in Little China (one of my favorite movies), Escape from New York, and Prince of Darkness (I feel like that one is pretty underrated; never hear talk of it).

Anyways, I love John Carpenter too so this really seems like it could be interesting, but I'm not following the current books at all and don't know anything about this Year of the Villain event, so whether I check it out really depends on how well it stands on its own. If it requires you be caught up on current comic events then I'm out sadly. Will definitely check out the reviews though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lots of Joker content coming out, it seems.
    Apparently that's mostly because of the new movie coming out.

I really liked this issue. Great mix of creepy, tragic, and funny. Very much The Joker.

I posted this in our Jason Todd thread, but I guess it's better to repost here.
    --------
    Well, that was a pretty good one-shot.

spoilers:

I wasn't expecting a lot, but it was very good. A lot for it going on in foreground and background, a pretty interesting handle of certain themes, specifically how mental health* is treated (using the poing of view of the blond guy who is not-sane*). It's a comic about how mental health problems can mess you up, your view of reality, your whole life and your family; and how it doesn't have to have a happy, easy way of getting better, or having a happy end (but some things can be fixed or get a better). But also, I found it interesting that, in contrast, it doesn't romanticise Joker, at all, and doesn't draw him as insane*. He knows very when he's doing, and does so viciously. He's cruel, and he knows very well how cruel and twisted are his actions. Which is how Joker is nowadays in the comics, as far as I can see.

I also saw some light parallels with Jason, besides the obvious one with the beating and the mother. I wonder if it was intentional.
    end of spoilers

In the end, I don't think it was that much serious horror. It was brutally violent, and heavy on certain points. But it wasn't all serious and the most heavy part was the dealing with the main character's problems, in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind more like this, to be honest.

And the art was very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I posted this in our Jason Todd thread, but I guess it's better to repost here.
    --------
    Well, that was a pretty good one-shot.

spoilers:

I wasn't expecting a lot, but it was very good. A lot for it going on in foreground and background, a pretty interesting handle of certain themes, specifically how mental health* is treated (using the poing of view of the blond guy who is not-sane*). It's a comic about how mental health problems can mess you up, your view of reality, your whole life and your family; and how it doesn't have to have a happy, easy way of getting better, or having a happy end (but some things can be fixed or get a better). But also, I found it interesting that, in contrast, it doesn't romanticise Joker, at all, and doesn't draw him as insane*. He knows very when he's doing, and does so viciously. He's cruel, and he knows very well how cruel and twisted are his actions. Which is how Joker is nowadays in the comics, as far as I can see.

I also saw some light parallels with Jason, besides the obvious one with the beating and the mother. I wonder if it was intentional.
    end of spoilers

In the end, I don't think it was that much serious horror. It was brutally violent, and heavy on certain points. But it wasn't all serious and the most heavy part was the dealing with the main character's problems, in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind more like this, to be honest.

And the art was very, very good.
    I’m really glad this didn’t try to romanticize The Joker. spoilers:
    while killing the poor dog was kinda shocking, it did remind me that Joker is a monster who is not supposed to be liked. I also loved how they touched upon the fact that Joker knows exactly what he’s doing, which means he’s not insane. This differentiates him from people who suffer with mental illness.
    end of spoilers

Yeah.

spoilers:
    Not only he does know what he's doing; he knows that what he does is entirely evil, cruel and enjoys it to his bones without any guilt or remorse. He's entirely evil here, and takes advantage of people who is in a vulnerable state, for his pure enjoyment. It's pretty clear how he is (and aligns with the Joker we've been having in comics for a while) and I'm happy for it.
    end of spoilers

Really, it was a surprise how much I liked this story. And I almost missed it, shame on me. It even made me laugh once and smile a few others, even with the heavy parts.

Just finished reading it
    ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

easily one of the best Joker stories ever made
    It was super good
    highly recomended

Mighty Member

I really liked it. I was totally engaged throughout and bummed when it ended.

Would totally read more from Carpenter, hopefully following up on this story.