Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Default Nanami Yasuri (Katanagatari) vs Ranma Saotome

Nanami has Akuto Bita in her heart as in her fight with Shichika. If Ranma loses, he's revived and they have a rematch two weeks later.

A bit about Nanami: She can copy techniques; she gets a rudimentary version of something from seeing it once and masters it from seeing it twice. This extends to Naruto-style ninja powers and stuff like outright necromancy. She uses her power copying to dilute her allegedly much greater natural abilities and try to be weaker, but she doesn't really have any feats using only her natural abilities. She's capable of improving on what she's seen at least to some extent, so it's not as if she copies without understanding; we also see her intuit the weakness in a technique. She's fast enough to flicker in place and have a casual conversation while a low end bullet-timer's (her brother's) punch-blitz appears to just be passing right through her and subsequently strike him 200ish times (forget the exact number) so fast he's a little uncertain what parts of her body she hit him with. She uses the strength increasing technique of a tribe of people who far outclass her brother, who split a 15 storey castle down to its foundations. She doesn't have much for durability feats because she doesn't take any serious hits until she lets Shichika kill her, but she refers to herself as being extremely difficult to kill. At the very least, we know that poison doesn't work on her, and without Akuto Bita, she's constantly dealing with her own power ruining hr body to the extent that she should have died young. She can throw air-pressure attacks around like a bullet hell character (literally the visual metaphor we're shown for a slaughter she does), grow claws, and she has a technique for cancelling out the weight of things such that she can walk on water and sort of do leaf-on-the-wind dodging.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

If she's fast enough to treat bullet-timers like garbage and hit them 200x so quickly even they can't see it happening, she's at LEAST in Ranma's range of speed, probably faster.

And if she's stronger than a dude who split a 15 story castle, she flat-out hits harder than Ranma.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I forgot to mention that Akuto Bita, the dagger in her chest, is the only thing that lets her fight for extended periods without her body starting to give out on her. Granted, she was able to slaughter a whole temple of fighting monks without it. Shichika doesn't believe she could pull off the 200+ consecutive attacks without it.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 09-24-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Here we go, here's Shichika and Nanami's initial fight.

Notably, she does need to actually SEE someone for her eyes to disassemble their techniques. They were able to slightly get one over on her by making her fight in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    She uses the strength increasing technique of a tribe of people who far outclass her brother, who split a 15 storey castle down to its foundations.
    Completed sword Shichika is the one who did that, you can't apply feats backwards when he was explicitly much stronger in the final battles due to his mental shift.

There's also the general issue that Shichika is traumatized and has a mental block against her, which makes his thoughts on her dubious as evidence.
    Last edited by Siriel; 09-24-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Completed sword Shichika is the one who did that, you can't apply feats backwards when he was explicitly much stronger in the final battles due to his mental shift.

There's also the general issue that Shichika is traumatized and has a mental block against her, which makes his thoughts on her dubious as evidence.
    Completed sword Shichika is nebulously better, but there's nothing suggesting like, orders of magnitude or that he got especially stronger. All he really does is crush 12 people who are worse versions of people he was already holding back on. If anything, his dialogue suggests that all he's really changed is that he's not trying to protect the swords. There's certainly nothing suggesting that he suddenly got physically stronger than the super strength tribe.

That said, I'll admit I'm not super fond of applying the castle splitting feat as a comparison against the super strength people. There's just not really a lot of other strength feats in the series. Depending on how you feel about how the Sabi Hakuhei fight is presented (i.e. as a next episode preview that never gets shown completely), he smashes some boulders. Apart from that, we see Ganryuu Island after their fight, and it's pretty much a smoking crater, which there's not a lot of context since we don't see the fight, but that's well in line with the castle split. There's not really much else in the series, to the best of my recollection.

Konayuki is/was the weakest of the tribe, and strong enough to treat a sword Shichika couldn't lift like a toy. Nanami's strength technique is noted as coming from the stronger members. We don't really get to see her use it, but we know their strength comes from a technique and that Nanami's power copying basically works on anything, including esoteric abilities, reshaping her body, and outright illusion magic.

Shichika's thoughts on her are mostly just that she's really strong, which is well backed up. He manages to hit her later on, but only by blinding her at a time when she's basically just trying to get him to kill her. After attacking... main girl whose name I forget and making Shichika actively try to kill her, she's still dodging his attacks while using her full power without Akuto Bita, where we see that her movements are making her own flesh split open. While very pointedly going all out, he lands the killing blow that she wants him to land only after she's already pretty torn up from using her full power.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 09-24-2019 at 01:26 PM.