Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Alright, your XP maths is all good and your skills are gameworthy.

You're good to go.

I have added Betty to the cast list on the front page.
    Hooray! Thanks!

My classes will have started by August 19, but I'll participate as best as I can.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Added Shura to the cast list. Vetting begins now!

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    First off, excellent theme. I also like the style of the profile, much like Ptrvc it's nice to see character acting out in the bio and stats.

Capabilities assessment:

Physicality: 45 / Brutish: 30 / Acrobatic: 15
    Precision: 30 / Close Range: 20 / Long Range: 10
    Mental: 50 / Composure: 30 / Problem Solving: 20
    On-field Agent (A) Notes: Asset demonstrates physical abilities within physical norms for a woman of her age who keeps an active lifestyle.
    Skills:
    Second Language (Russian): Basic, Firearm (Pistol): Basic, Driving: Intermediate, Bodyguard: Confident, Kung Fu: Advanced[/quote]

As a note, I would appreciate some line breaks in the skills list. Just makes it a little easier for me to track skills etc.

So, according to my maths, you have 5 XP left over that you haven't allocated. You can either afford another basic skill or max out your core stat allocation.

I'd also like more information on what you are intending the Bodyguard skill to cover in the way of checks. Like Nschorn's Gumshoe skill, it seems a bit umbrella-ish for my liking.

Unique Power
    Name: The Essence of Violence
    Effect: Shura's Kung Fu skill applies to all forms of close-range combat.
    On-Field Agent (B) Notes: It was the damndest thing when we got to testing out her close-quarter combat capabilities though. I mean, she wasn't the best I've ever seen, but it was like there was no different at all for her no matter what she picked up. I asked her about it, and she said that when it came to hurting people what you used didn't matter compared to the result. Can't argue with that logic I guess, but that's not the kind of movements you learn, no matter how good you are.
    While I kind of see what you're going for, I'm honestly thinking this might be a little lacking in utility for my money.

The only kinds of close combat stuff where a generic "kung fu" skill doesn't apply would be with weapons/improvised/objects specifically and I'm a kind of GM that your kung fu skill would help with the difficulty of checks you would face. So... this is essentially, you get an omni-physical combat stat?

I think you could have more if you wanted but I'm not going to push players if they don't want pushing.

Mob Reputation
    Fear: 25
    Respect: 15

Police Reputation
    Notoriety: 30
    Familiarity: 20
    Reputation stats, please update your profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    Hooray! Thanks!

My classes will have started by August 19, but I'll participate as best as I can.
    Nschorn, I forgot to give you your reputation stats.

Mob Reputation

Fear: 10
    Respect: 0

Police Reputation

Notoriety: 0
    Familiarity: 15
    Please update your profile accordingly.

Also you namecheck the city as Gotham, the city is called Gridport - please amend that as well.

Skills:
    Second Language (Russian): Basic, Firearm (Pistol): Basic, Driving: Intermediate, Bodyguard: Confident, Kung Fu: Advanced

As a note, I would appreciate some line breaks in the skills list. Just makes it a little easier for me to track skills etc.
    Done. Were the stats fine or do you want them separate too?

So, according to my maths, you have 5 XP left over that you haven't allocated. You can either afford another basic skill or max out your core stat allocation.
    Bumped her Russian to Intermediate for now. I might shift things about a bit before the game starts; I'll let you know.

I'd also like more information on what you are intending the Bodyguard skill to cover in the way of checks. Like Nschorn's Gumshoe skill, it seems a bit umbrella-ish for my liking.
    I intended it to be umbrella-ish, but a very narrow umbrella in that it only protects her client.

For example if she was driving a car and someone rammed it, she could substitute Driving for Bodyguard to make sure her client is alright, but the car itself would probably get totaled in the resulting crash because she's focusing on keeping the passenger secure rather than staying on the road.

I can see how that could cause trouble though, I'll replace it for a skill to assess someone's intentions if that's alright? That would probably be easier to handle for both of us.

While I kind of see what you're going for, I'm honestly thinking this might be a little lacking in utility for my money.

The only kinds of close combat stuff where a generic "kung fu" skill doesn't apply would be with weapons/improvised/objects specifically and I'm a kind of GM that your kung fu skill would help with the difficulty of checks you would face. So... this is essentially, you get an omni-physical combat stat?

I think you could have more if you wanted but I'm not going to push players if they don't want pushing.
    Two directions I could see to upgrade it while keeping the theme;
    -A buff to the first action in a fight that's initiated by someone else, kind of a retributive action.
    -A buff to figuring out if someone intends to cause trouble in the situation.

I kind of want to keep the omni-combat skill aspect, so the buff could be lower than those who just have a buff.

Reputation stats, please update your profile.
    Done, thanks.
    Last edited by Siriel; 07-31-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Done. Were the stats fine or do you want them separate too?
    The slashes between mean it's readable enough, I have no formal objections. ^_^

Bumped her Russian to Intermediate for now. I might shift things about a bit before the game starts; I'll let you know.
    Fine and dandy.

I intended it to be umbrella-ish, but a very narrow umbrella in that it only protects her client.

For example if she was driving a car and someone rammed it, she could substitute Driving for Bodyguard to make sure her client is alright, but the car itself would probably get totaled in the resulting crash because she's focusing on keeping the passenger secure rather than staying on the road.

I can see how that could cause trouble though, I'll replace it for a skill to assess someone's intentions if that's alright? That would probably be easier to handle for both of us.
    Oooh... now hold on. If it's used in that application of prioritising the life of someone else over her own... that's actually a really cool mechanic and would allow us to gameify the notion of being successful at protecting the client.

I like it. If we hash out how that actually functions, as being a "protection index," rather than a more catch-all skill umbrella, I'd be okay with it.

Two directions I could see to upgrade it while keeping the theme;
    -A buff to the first action in a fight that's initiated by someone else, kind of a retributive action.
    -A buff to figuring out if someone intends to cause trouble in the situation.

I kind of want to keep the omni-combat skill aspect, so the buff could be lower than those who just have a buff.
    How about... let me free-wheel a bit here.

---------------------------------------------

Power Name: Offensive Defence
    Description: Shura hurts people, it's what she does, but she hurts people the most who go near her clients.
    Mechanical Function: As something of a combat savant, Shura's kung fu skill counts for all close combat-based skill checks, regardless of weaponry or situation. If an opponent initiates a fight by taking an offensive combat action - Shura gains a +20 to her defensive check. Additionally, if the combat action is taken against the person Shura is designated to protect, the defensive action gains +40 and her subsequent counter attack gains +20.

Shura's player can designate the person they are protecting once per rest period and it cannot be declared or altered during a combat encounter.

---------------------------------

How about that? She's got omni combat but has a very contextual system for gaining a buff. It's potent but it's geared around a one use thing that she cannot functionally initiate herself.

Also, Cthulhu?

You can increase the boost on Nanashi's offensive/defensive buff to +30. I think that's a little underpowered in terms of overall balance at +20.

Also, Sharp?

With Quirat's power, you can add (if you choose) that she receives a +10 bonus to all verbal social checks when using a language that is not her native one because I think her power could use a boost however small.

Oooh... now hold on. If it's used in that application of prioritising the life of someone else over her own... that's actually a really cool mechanic and would allow us to gameify the notion of being successful at protecting the client.

I like it. If we hash out how that actually functions, as being a "protection index," rather than a more catch-all skill umbrella, I'd be okay with it.
    Sounds fine to me, that was what I intended for it to be. She's meant to be a personal bodyguard, not a jack of all trades.

How about... let me free-wheel a bit here.

---------------------------------------------

Power Name: Offensive Defence
    Description: Shura hurts people, it's what she does, but she hurts people the most who go near her clients.
    Mechanical Function: As something of a combat savant, Shura's kung fu skill counts for all close combat-based skill checks, regardless of weaponry or situation. If an opponent initiates a fight by taking an offensive combat action - Shura gains a +20 to her defensive check. Additionally, if the combat action is taken against the person Shura is designated to protect, the defensive action gains +40 and her subsequent counter attack gains +20.

Shura's player can designate the person they are protecting once per rest period and it cannot be declared or altered during a combat encounter.

---------------------------------

How about that? She's got omni combat but has a very contextual system for gaining a buff. It's potent but it's geared around a one use thing that she cannot functionally initiate herself.
    I like it a lot. I'll probably workshop the name a bit, but I'll take that as the effect, thanks!
    Last edited by Siriel; 07-31-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Sounds fine to me, that was what I intended for it to be. She's meant to be a personal bodyguard, not a jack of all trades.
    Okay, if you add the following proviso to the Bodyguard skill:

Bodyguard: Confident (Bodyguard as a skill refers to Shura's ability to protect the life of another person in a given situation. Success of these checks may come at the cost of her own wellbeing.)

I like it a lot. I'll probably workshop the name a bit, but I'll take that as the effect, thanks!
    Sweet! It's a cool concept for a character overall.

Also, Cthulhu?

You can increase the boost on Nanashi's offensive/defensive buff to +30. I think that's a little underpowered in terms of overall balance at +20.
    Alright, I'll make the appropriate edits.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

As an aside, I don't think Nanashi ever got reputation stats either. That something we need to workshop ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Three thoughts;

1) As far as what gangs we're currently infiltrating, will you be discussing it with us in PM or here? Also will it be your decision or do we get to pick?
    2) Will some of us be going undercover in the same gang? If so, would we be aware that we're moles, or are our reports shown as anonymous/under code names in-universe?
    3) More tongue in cheek, but I hope the difficulty listed for the checks are on a scale of people with training, otherwise our characters can barely do things that people consider easy in daily activities.

Three thoughts;

1) As far as what gangs we're currently infiltrating, will you be discussing it with us in PM or here? Also will it be your decision or do we get to pick?
    The list of gangs will be going up once the cast is complete so you will all be able to see what your options are. The only reason I've not given the information ahead of time is because I wanted it to be a case of you taking your characters and making them work rather than building something fit for a single purpose in-universe.

I will be free to discuss ideas or strats you want to run by me, but it's pretty open for you.

2) Will some of us be going undercover in the same gang? If so, would we be aware that we're moles, or are our reports shown as anonymous/under code names in-universe?
    You may be in the same game. All of you will know each other as you will all meet once at the start of the game where your decision of strategy will be made. You aren't any obligation to help each other but GCPD's feeling is that you should know each other by sight so you don't run the risk of totally screwing someone else's operation.

Reports are held on a secure server and you will know who is saying what. Be aware the police handlers will also see it as well.

3) More tongue in cheek, but I hope the difficulty listed for the checks are on a scale of people with training, otherwise our characters can barely do things that people consider easy in daily activities.
    This is not the first time I've noted it :P

I'll need to wait til at least Friday to finish the bio. It's been insane with me in RL and I need to get out from under before I can focus on this.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

OH NO! I didn't put breathing or eating as a skill! She's doomed!!!

VGCatsMoves.jpg